Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree33Likes
  • 17 Post By deer243
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 4 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By kukuwai
  • 5 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Easy deer again!

Easy deer again!

Since my last easy deer not long ago been out twice, Last week went with a mate and his dog plus his nephew .
    Hes only just got his licence(nephew) and hasnt shot any deer etc so i tried to take him to a place where he might get one in DOC.
    Plans didnt work so good with a 1080 sign and the road washed out so headed back the way we came and stopped at a likely looking spot always wanted to have a look at.

Could have been a easy pig because as soon as we walked 150 m tops the dog chased a young boar past us and heard another pig crash off. Unfortunately he didnt catch it but a exciting start.
    After that carried on into the native and started to pick up some deer sign.
    After awhile headed back toward the creek to pick up some fresher sign and soon i could smell a deer. We travelled another 200m maybe and my mates nephew spied a spiker!

I didnt see it at first as i was a little lower. he loaded up but the spiker moved off and he lost sight of it for a shot and by the time i saw it i could only watch its arse disappear into the bush lol.
    Well, that was that.
    Least we chased a pig and he saw a spiker that was lucky to get away but wasnt a bad day considering we just had to change plans and nearly ended up with a animal.

Today was another day, and after all this darn rain i was keen to head out for a look.
    One of the old timers i used to hunt with years ago told me of a spot he hunted 40 years ago for pigs and always saw lots of deer sign.
    He said it still be worth a look and it looked ok on the map so i headed of at 320am and checked it out.

Arrived just on light. The scrub at the start looked wet and thick. Looking around i saw a old 4wd track that was overgrown 50 yards down the road that went no where but looked a easy spot to get up and into the native.

so i headed up it and saw a little grass ahead. I was thinking at this time of the morning looks good for a deer.
    So i loaded a couple of 165gr sst into the mag of the 308 and walked ten more yards and fu k me, two deer are standing on the terrance to by right about 40 yards away.

By the time i loaded they were off, i yelled out just as the last deer was disappearing out of sight.
    He stopped!
    All i could see was his arse clearly, the rest of the body was behind a large bush. looking thru the scope i could see where he was standing, wasnt the clearest shot in the world but i thought it was on for a 165sst travelling over 2800fps.

Centred the xhairs on the deer and BOOM. It disappeared and i heard i crash ahead and that was that. Wandered over and no deer. no blood, darn!
    Followed the marks of a deer and kept looking for blood but no joy. Searched around in a grid, looking at all the bushes, hidden areas as i was sure it should have been a hit but again no joy.

Maybe the round did hit something soild but i had another look in the opposite direction where i didnt think it went.

Well, blow me down, just on the edge of the bush, only 50 yards from where he was standing was the deer stone deer.
    The round thur the centre of his shoulder. Couldnt of been happier, 100m from the car, gutted, carried back and on the road again by 640am!

Name:  DSCF1057.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  550.8 KB

Name:  DSCF1056.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  498.4 KB

Another easy one and i didnt even go into the bush to see if the place is any good lol. Still, from that result i think that old timer knew what he was talking about.

I head back there later this week and go for a good walk and see what animal numbers are like, cheerd
    Shootm, Tahr, veitnamcam and 14 others like this.

MB
    OK, I'm moving to Nelson!
    nor-west, deer243 and Sako851 like this.

Are you accepting Auckland refugees?
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Are you accepting Auckland refugees?
    No we are overfull already.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Bloody good stuff @deer243

Enjoyed the read too mate.

Well done

That area i was in recently had been 1080'd back in april and as mentioned we saw a dozen or so deer.

I learned something from that, which was... It doesn't (thankfully) get all of them

As for the easy deer, I was always told as a kid that "deer are where you find them" !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    deer243 likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

One thing is for sure, many are walking past the deer. i recken theres more deer living within 300m from the road or where you start from than way back.
    Certainly good numbers around esp close in Doc but you have to cover some ground to find where they are. Im certainly enjoying going to new areas where i have no idea if theres a animal in there or not and im finding the animals ok. Nearly at least seeing one every trip so thats good for day hunts.
    If you stayed the night in the areas think you get one everytime nearly

Love your work

Your on a roll, luck you did a good search otherwise you may have left the deer in the bush. Well Done.

good to hear the 08 starting to work for you....now go and buy a box of winchester 180 grn power points...and then tell me Im wrong about the step up in killing power...for your bush hobbiting they are pretty much ideal....
    enjoy your venison.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    good to hear the 08 starting to work for you....now go and buy a box of winchester 180 grn power points...and then tell me Im wrong about the step up in killing power...for your bush hobbiting they are pretty much ideal....
    enjoy your venison.
    Without doubt a softpoint is the way to go if you bush hunting, be it 55gr or 200gr/ My go to rifle the Mighty 243 with 100gr softpoints is out of this world .
    My 308 is my back up longer range rifle, hence as its got a custom dial sorted for the 165sst thats just what i use with it. They still work in the bush and short range, but those 165sst would work far better at longer range.

Problem is when i take the 308 i still end up shooting only at bush ranges and even thou they still bowl the animals over, my 243 100gr would stop the animals quicker than the 165 sst .
    Its ok thou, the 308 been going well and when i do have a shot at 300m plus etc the 165sst will work quite well i suspect as they going 2800fps out of my 24inch 308.

Just added a 223 to the collection. So im sure a report with that on how they go bush stalking deer is coming to a story near you soon!
    Dama dama likes this.

find some 50 grn ttsx for it......I believe you will ALMOST rate it up there with the EBRG if you do....the terminal damage will be similar...less to be sure but similar.
    every man should own a .223 they are just such a handy wee rifle and will tackle most anything if you do your part and keep within say 150 yards...

I hear you re having rifle dialed for the sst.....but man you try them 180 winches and you wont look back....
    deer243 likes this.