Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Neckshot

Thread: Exntending the range

ebf

Exntending the range

Bet you though it was about shooting further huh ?

Naa, long weekend trip to scope out some new hunting areas, a bit further than I would normally go.

Mrs ebf's birthday was on Friday, and since her favorite activity is road trips down the backroads of NZ, it was time to pack the mighty micro campervan again and off we went.

Brekkie at Cahoots in Greytown, nice way to start the day. Then thru the Manawatu Gorge, and time to explore access to the western Ruahines. We went up the Pohangina Valley road, and checked out a couple of locations listed in the SpotX book. Definitely more deer up this way than in Welly, saw some Rusa Sambar VERY close to the road Initially did not now what I was looking at, but after a quick txt msg conference with Kiwi39 we decided they must be Rusa Sambar. Only real problem was that throwing mepps spinners at them did not seem to work... Note to self for next time, pack the fishing rods AND THE RIFLE !

Late afternoon stop at the Pillars of Hercules in Kaimanawa. Very cool suspension bridge, it flexes massively
    Name:  IMG_4815.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  164.6 KB

Then up to Taupo. Next morning we explored the other side of the Kaimanawas. Can see why Clements Mill Rd is so popular. Mrs ebf saw the back end of a fleeing deer from the road, probably Sika for that area.

Early morning Kaimanawa cupa
    Name:  IMG_4819.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  94.0 KB

Lunch spot was further along the Taupo Napier road, and a quick look at the Kawekas. Fark ! Steep, rough country up there...

On the way to Ohakune I popped in to have a look at the start of the Tongariro Crossing, on my tramping wish-list for the next 12 months.

Very interesting trip, crazy amount of hunting spots around the Taupo area, and I will definitely look at doing some overnighters up to the Ruahines.
    Last edited by ebf; 26-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    DAF, Savage1, LegaSea and 2 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Rusa in the Manawatu? You sure they weren't Samba?
    Dougie likes this.

ebf
    sorry, sambar !

Well done ebf, yes the Kaimanawas off Clements road is really nice Beech/bush forest, had a good play in there, but came out empty handed....will have to take a look at the Ruahines though!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Well done ebf, yes the Kaimanawas off Clements road is really nice Beech/bush forest, had a good play in there, but came out empty handed....will have to take a look at the Ruahines though!
    Ruahines is shit house you wont like it!.Id check out the tararuas and EBF dont forget your rifle next time??????how come you didnt take your rifle this time? all good recce start with a round in the chamber
    Scouser likes this.

ebf
    It was a road trip / fishing weekend that kinda morphed into a "let's go check out spots in the hunting guide-book" weekend

Wife reckons the hunting guide-book takes us to waaay more interesting roads than the fishing book