Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree40Likes
  • 31 Post By akaroa1
  • 6 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Stocky
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: A few lessons here for new and old hunters alike

A few lessons here for new and old hunters alike

Now I don't post much about my hunting exploits.
    Hunting is a life long passion for me, but I do it for myself and I keep it pretty much to myself
    But yesterdays hunt had some good learning in it for experienced and new hunters alike

I did my first day of paid work for the year yesterday and being a quick DoC job I found myself in a decent spot where there might be some handy deer
    Being a hot windy day and with the biddy bid season in full swing I didn't have my GWP Josie with me ( mistake 1 )
    I had seen a lot of stags in velvet pre Christmas and hoped to maybe catch up with one of them again.
    As stated it was bloody windy so I took my 300 wsm ( cancels out mistake 1 I guess )
    Saw a yearling hind very early and handy but walked on to look for a stag.
    The wind really got going and it was going to be a total waste of time where I wanted to hunt
    So after a long walk away from the yearling I made my way back into the sheltered gully she was seen in earlier and thought it was just as likely to have a stag in it.
    I eventually found her lying in very long grass with just her ears and top of shoulder visible.
    I watched her for over an hour from 300m and she never moved from that spot.
    But I did see a mature hind at 600m
    Anyway light was starting to fade and with the amount of feed around I decided she might not get up again until it was too dark to shoot.
    So I got sorted and tried to decode how she was lying, what the wind drift might be and where my point of aim should be.
    I had had a long clear look at her from 400m several hours earlier and was certain it was a yearling.
    So took the shot with light fading fast.
    Low light and wind noise left no clues of a hit ... but you always follow up the shot

Now it seems to coincide that I'm getting older and the deer in the South Island are definitely getting bigger !
    It's been a cool, wet and changeable summer in Canterbury with a lot of growth.
    After a very dry mild Winter
    So there are some big well few deer around and I did see some very promising stags in velvet

Back to the hunt
    It took me a while to get over to the distinctive tree the hind had been lying by
    Very steep slope, very long grass in places and very taller bracken as well.
    Fully dark and headlight on full now.
    Found the deers bed but no deer
    Absolutely not a spot of blood !
    Tracks everywhere but no blood on any of them
    And my dog is sitting at home ( found out later ) fretting that I went to work without her
    So the search goes on for about 15 minutes before I find a skid mark on the hill, but no blood
    Follow the skid mark down for about 100 vertical meters, but still no blood
    Eventually find the yearling hind in a tiny little hole on the very steep hillside about 30 minutes after starting the search.
    Now sadly she has fallen a long way in wrong direction from where I have to climb to get back out to my truck !

Name:  yearling .jpg
Views: 567
Size:  935.5 KB

Great relief to find her
    Tricky to break her down in such a tight spot and no option to shift or she would have probably gone another 100m until stopping even further from my way out.
    Entry wound was pretty close to where I had intended to hit. So no reason for the lack of blood there.
    Eventually I get to the off side shoulder and there is the projectile under the skin.
    Now that's a bit of a surprise to find a 180 grain accubond from 300wsm that started out at 3000 fps
    That would usually be a full pass through on a yearling hind at 300m
    But she was lying down flat on the ground up against a small bank and I'm wondering if that stopped the stretch of the off side skin from breaking through ?

Name:  180 : 180.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  693.0 KB

So the lesson here is always follow up your shots and give it plenty of time
    This yearling only moved about 10m from where I had hit her before sliding 100 vertical meters
    Similar things do not always behave similarly as this recovered projectile shows
    If she had been standing broadside it would have been a pass through

I made two full round trips back to the truck and recovered all the meat
    But the real prize was recovering that projectile and unpicking what might have happened and being reminded that you are never too old to learn if you keep your eyes open and stick at it

cheers

Good story and good lesson. Do you still feel dirty after using the WSM though?

At least you didn't kneel in onga onga when you took your shot aye ?
    I had a similar thing with a 162gn eldm and a stag that was laying down at only 150 yards recovered the projectile under the skin on the off side. Luckily mine didn't slide 100 vertical meters down hill he just died on the spot (neck shot).
    I know the eldm and accubond are very different pills but I still wouldve expected an exit wound at that distance when doing 3000fps.
    It didn't blow up it had shed a little bit but what was left had mushroomed well and was recovered just under the skin on the off side.
    #DANNYCENT

northdude
    Theory and real life can be 2 very different things ive had an a max pencil through a fallow. I thought they were quite an expandy bullet

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Good story and good lesson. Do you still feel dirty after using the WSM though?
    Hell no
    It does what it says on the label
    In my world 300 to 500m shots on big reds are the norm
    Shooting across ridge to face
    You can't hunt on the side they're on because it's too thick

Any big 30 cal will do
    Tahr, chainsaw, Mooseman and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Hell no
    It does what it says on the label
    In my world 300 to 500m shots on big reds are the norm
    Shooting across ridge to face
    You can't hunt on the side they're on because it's too thick

Any big 30 cal will do
    Nothing wrong with the WSM at all. It was more in jest about your proclivities to muzzle loaders, and old tech, etc.
    Boxton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Nothing wrong with the WSM at all. It was more in jest about your proclivities to muzzle loaders, and old tech, etc.
    I swing both ways @Stocky both old and new
    Stocky likes this.

I reckon you did VERY well to find an animal that had moved 100mtrs down hill from where expected..... and yes it sucks without your dog....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I reckon you did VERY well to find an animal that had moved 100mtrs down hill from where expected..... and yes it sucks without your dog....
    Once I found a decent skid mark it was relatively easy ... all down hill
    They can pick up a lot of speed
    I should know having fallen over 100m once myself !

I actually find tracking in the dark by headlight to be slightly easier sometimes
    Maybe I have just gotten used to it with shooting a lot of animals just before dark and by the time I get over there it's properly dark

in SAR we actually PREFER to track at night..when you control the light ,things become easier....when you change angle its amazing what you can see. good work on the effort,enjoy the venison...if its anything like the eye fillet I just scoffed,you will be a happy chap.
    Happy Jack likes this.

You are right sometimes things don't go as planned, it sure pays to follow up on those shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    in SAR we actually PREFER to track at night..when you control the light ,things become easier....when you change angle its amazing what you can see. good work on the effort,enjoy the venison...if its anything like the eye fillet I just scoffed,you will be a happy chap.
    I've got a SAR 2 day tracking course coming up, I'm guessing that should include some night stuff. Add another couple of percent to my hunting skills