Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By Mooseman

Thread: A Few pigs for a change

A Few pigs for a change

Over the last couple of years while setting up trail cam's we usually capture a picture or two of pigs each weekend. Encounters with pigs are pretty rare with Beeman having shot an nice young boar several months back.

Two weekends ago I was hunting an area that had a fair bit of deer sign around but as the afternoon wore my chance for a deer diminished. I came out on a main forestry road just on dark and as I started down it two black shapes trotted up the road then turned into a side track heading onto a clear cut. I quickly lined up the front one at about 100 yards and fired, the 300 Win Mag taking the young boar cleanly. The other turned and high tailed it back to where he came from.
    The young boar was about a 50 odd pounder, good eating size.

During the following week my wife's nephew and I shot down to a farm down Woodville for a few days hunting on a steep, manuka covered property. The first evening we seen 13 deer and made a plan of attack for the following morning.
    Morning had us stalking the area we had seen the deer in the previous evening and it wasn't long before we were 170 yards from three spikers, Neil dropped the first on the spot then there were deer going everywhere but in the commotion Neil dropped another spiker.
    With the deer down we got to work breaking them down and called the owner to see if he could come and get them out on his bike which he did around noon.

With the meat in the chiller it was back to the house for a late lunch then as afternoon wore on we got ready for a afternoon hunt. We chose another gully system for a look but only seen two about 600 yards away right on dark so we left them be.
    It had been a great couple of days in a new area for me and we had plenty of meat for salami's for the owner.

Back to our usual stamping ground to check camera's and maybe get a few more camera's up over the weekend. After a late start we were working our way along a ridge system and found some recent activity of a stag so we placed a new camera on a rut pad of what most likely was a sambar stag. As we moved on to the next camera we noticed fresh pig rooting so figured there would be pigs on it at least.

The next camera had a few sambar hinds and a nice red stag as well as a few pigs. Rehba( dog) was along for a walk today and had been showing interest in the rooting, she had pointed pigs on a previous trip so we had hopes she may find these ones with a bit of luck. As we got closer to the next camera Rehba vanished for a few minutes, next thing a big pig come running past with Rehba close behind but no shot presented as the dog was to close. Seconds later two smaller pigs burst out in front of us, I shot the first Beeman got the second one, Two nice 25 pounder pigs ....choice.

We were within 50 -60 yards form the trail camera and when we viewed the card back home on the computer we were amazed at what we seen. On the video we heard the last gunshot from shooting the pigs then a red stag came into view stopping several times as it vacated the area. We had no idea the stag was even there so the camera showed us something you wouldn't believe could happen.
    Roasted a back leg of my latest pig for dinner tonight, it sure tasted good and nice and tender, looking forward to more pork meals.Name:  Pig on dark.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  887.8 KBName:  Neil's woodville spiker June 2017.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  1.03 MBName:  Neil's second spiker from Woodville.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  1,023.8 KBName:  P1020995.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  1,023.2 KB

Good rite ,up you guys must have a few cameras out what type do you find the best ? .

Beeman has about a dozen and they are Moultrie and Bushnells. The Bushnell takes a better clearer picture and video. Learn a lot with those cameras out there.

Bus driver
    That's awesome stuff mate,very nice looking pig as well .....

Great stuff