Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree48Likes
  • 37 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 5 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By trooper90
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Finally a redskin

Finally a redskin

Had a mid afternoon knock off from work so grabbed my gear and rifle and went out to a local block. Arrived just after 3.30 and headed up the track which climbs fairly steeply in places. Once into a spot I've bumped deer before I was about to slow down when a fawn took off to my right. Slowly sidling forward watching every foot placement carefully I spot movement 40 or 50 metres ahead.
    I see the fawn again and a spiker mooching through the trees, as I tried to get closer I spotted a hind down to my left with her eyes locked onto me. The thought of the tasty young fawn quickly left my head as I slowly lifted the mighty .270 and sent a 140g interlock on its way. The shot hit a bit high in the shoulder and instead of risking a hoof tearing me up I quickly put another shot into her head.
    Didn't check the time but it was probably not much more than half a hour since I left the truck.
    Into the cutting up a pack loading I headed back out and made it to the truck before even needing the headlamp.
    Couple of firsts on this hunt too, after living in the South Island for 9 years and 11 months I finally shot a red deer and this is the first animal I have ever shot with a round that I handloaded myself.

Name:  20220414_164933.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  5.17 MB
    Tahr, craigc, Trout and 34 others like this.

good on you mate.......faarkin stoked for you. you would just about have heard my truck and see nthe dust as I was working not too far away LOL....
    RUMPY likes this.

Well done
    RUMPY likes this.

Well done on yr 1st South Island red deer and with yr own hand load.A great thrill for you,enjoy yr venison dinner or BBQ.
    RUMPY likes this.

Well done it will taste pretty good.

Just made a backsteak sammie, bit of pepper and garlic salt and a quick fry on the barbie. Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Just made a backsteak sammie, bit of pepper and garlic salt and a quick fry on the barbie. Delicious.
    Well done mate, a well deserved sammy.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Well done persistence pays off!
    It's good to get an animal with home rolled ammo too makes it that little bit more special.
    RUMPY likes this.

what Rumpy DIDNT tell you about them reloads......... they were done with a whackamole LEE loader I recently aquired from another forum member with a bit of horse trading with a third forum member helping out....
    shhhh dont tell folks the simple loads will work...lol supplies of flash presses and competition dies will fall off and retailers wont make a fortune anymore LOL.
    257weatherby likes this.