Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: First bow kill

First bow kill

For those who don't know, I only took up bow hunting a couple of weeks ago. I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years, but only earlier this month decided to have a crack, bought a bow and started practicing. It's been a lot of fun so far, just another challenge to keep the myself busy with!

Managed to squeeze a bow hunt into my day yesterday. I've been practicing heaps since getting my bow set up earlier this month, and am now pretty confident with my shooting ability. The stalking thing for me isn't too much of a bother, but I know that stalking a deer, and then getting an opportunity to put an arrow into it are two completely different things! A few days ago I'd snuck into a stag feeding and got within 25m, but he never offered a shot so I let him go. The drive to get a deer on the deck with my bow has been huge to say the least!

I'd seen some deer last week up high on a sunny face on a nearby public land block while driving home from upcountry the other day. I have a habit of stopping on the roadside and pulling my binos out (the Mrs hates it). But sometimes it just pays off.

Anyway, I had a feeling they'd be there almost all the time, the area gets little pressure at this time of year (too cold --- haha), and has very little snow on it compared to the rest of the range. I drove up later in the morning, and soon spotted them in the same place. Packing up quickly, I headed up the hill.

On the way up I spotted a group of 5 stags, all young ones, but in a spot I had no chance of getting near without being noticed. So I continued with my original plan. Halfway up the hill, I was busted by a hind and a yearling, but they slipped back into the bush without making a noise thankfully. It's just so awesome seeing deer out and about.

Bumped into these two on my way up

Took me a hour or so to get from the truck to within 200 metres of the deer I spotted from the valley floor. I had to do a big loop up behind the ridge they were on, and come down on top of them as the wind was now pulling uphill. There were splattering's of snow on the ground and all the rocks were icy as, so it was slow going.

Coming over the top of the ridge I saw they were still there, so I went into full stalk mode and soon managed to close the gap to within 100m, but got pinned down by a young hind I hadn't seen yet. She eventually lost interest and feed into a gut, allowing me to get closer. I soon figured there were 7 deer in this group, so chances of getting an unseen one even closer to me was high, but the chances of being busted by 7 pairs of prying eyes was also high!

It took me a further hour or so sneak within 60m, I was in full few and uphill of them, but fortunately they mainly looked down hill. Getting within 40m was going to be near on impossible without getting busted, I only had the odd tussock, briar bush and rock to crouch behind. I nocked an arrow and slid metre by metre down hill.

Fortunately for me, the deer were now all up feeding and had worked their way into a patch of scrubby stuff so their view out was limited, it gave me opportunities to slide in behind tussocks while they all had their heads down. Being silent was impossible, but somehow they never heard me.

Then the inevitable happened, the eldest hind (or lead hind) spotted my movement and snorted, I hadn't seen her lift her head, so it was my own fault. I kicked myself. Because I had a face mask on, and she didn't know what I was, she started barking. All the others came on full alert. Confident the wind wouldn't stuff me up, I stayed crouched, head down and watch out from under the brim of my hat. I knew from experience two things would happen, either she'd bolt, or would come closer to suss out what I was.

The deer after I'd been busted-but got a shot away

Luckily for me, inquisitiveness got the better of her and she sidled out of the scrub and around the side of me, 50-60m away, trying to cut my wind. I was in full view of her the whole time, crouched on a rock. The rest of the group followed her, all on guard, looking around for "the danger". One deer came straight up the hill without seeing me, and eventually stood broadside at 50m --- too far.

At this point I was more than happy for them to go on their way, the hunt had been fun. Although I had one more trick up my sleeve, I let out a quiet mew. The closet deer looked straight at me, and took a few steps forward. Keep coming I thought, and she did. 4-5-6 steps, at which point I sneakily ranged her at 40m.

Originally I thought 25m would be my self set limit, but upon advice from a few bow hunters I've been practicing really hard at 40m, which has now become my confidence distance. I knew if this deer turned broadside I could potentially get a crack. She stopped, looked downhill, and turned! That was my opportunity and I made the decision.

As I'd been pinned down, I hadn't really prepared to shoot, because I needed both hands on the ground to stop me slipping and when seen by the deer I couldn't move a muscle! At this point I went to grab my release, but then remembered I'd tucked it into itself to stop it knocking against my bow while stalking in! I couldn't grab it with my other hand, as I couldn't risk the movement.

Frantically trying to dislocate my fingers to reach/loosen the release, but it wouldn't come! Shaking my hand flat out (out of view) I finally managed to get it to drop free and slowly clipped it on the loop. In a very slow but smooth movement I moved the bow into the general direction of the deer, conscious that she might just say f-this and bolt! I drew effortlessly and with only a slight adjustment to settle my 40m pin, I found by aim point and released.

I saw the arrow flight, I'm sure the deer did too! It impacted just behind the shoulder, slightly higher than planned, but it passed clean through and took with it a fountain of blood. She and the other deer bolted, heading towards the bushline. I watched as the deer ran, and could see the whole time pretty much a constant flow of blood coming out of her side. The blood trail was incredible, a foot wide in places and constant. On the snow it was impressive.

She only made it 50m from point of impact before she stumbled and fell, then rolled down into a steep gut. The other deer milled around a bit then carried on. I went over a picked up my arrow, then sat and watched for a while, making sure she didn't get up again. But she didn't flinch. By the time I'd walked over to where she was, she was in deer heaven.

My first bow kill

I was pretty happy, not "over the moon" as some people had told me I would be. I think the fact I see quite a few deer might have something to do with that though. But only a couple of weeks ago I hadn't even fired a bow, let alone shoot an arrow at an animal! I'd set a goal to have a deer within the month with it, so achieving goals is always satisfying. After boning the meat out, I packed it all up and wandered back to the truck.

Now I have my first animal, I'll be targeting specific animals, and not just the first one I see that's stalkable.

Looking forward to more bow hunting now though, that's for sure!!

Josh
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Legend!! Good shit bro

Good one! You certainly look a lot happier than your avatar suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Good one! You certainly look a lot happier than your avatar suggests.
    That's me in the morning mate, before I put my make up on.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Nice one Josh,
    crazy to get one so quickly after learning archery.
    Looks like having previous hunting experience really helped.

Keep us updated with your bow hunts.

Nice Josh, and even better skills. Well done
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Sweet as bro.....good skills
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Cool story bro....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow awesome read mate. Must have been frigid work being patient and taking things slow in that climate.

Brilliant. Nice report.

That's a good testament to your skills. Now try that with Sika and report back
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chewy69a View Post
    Wow awesome read mate. Must have been frigid work being patient and taking things slow in that climate.
    Cheers. Wasn't too bad, temp hovered around 2°C all day, but there was a bit of wind chill. The worst was my hands, I didn't have gloves with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    That's a good testament to your skills. Now try that with Sika and report back
    Haha, I was 100% prepared for them to bust me, only the fact I had a good breeze in my face and was uphill of them made getting that close possible. The camo mask really helped for when they did spot me though.

I've only hunted sika once, and shot two on that trip. A 8 point stag and a spiker. Both were within 30 metres and broadside...bet I can't replicate that on my next trip up (which is in the pipeline at the moment, and the bow is coming).

too easy, and i see you did it with loads of cover too, totally jealous

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Sika will be the pinacle of bow hunting I believe. If you can regularly put an arrow into them youve reached the top in my books

You're a f**king legend.
    Pengy likes this.