Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree48Likes
  • 44 Post By Hunty1
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Dama dama

Thread: First Nth Island hunts

First Nth Island hunts

July saw us packing up home in Dunedin and making the the move to Rotorua. The prospect of getting my head round some new hunting opportunities both excited me and filled me with trepidation. I clearly remembered the leg work involved in getting to know an area!

With the house semi-unpacked and a leave pass granted I made my first foray into the fabled Clements Mill Rd. A few hours up the track saw me setting up camp on a ridge above some head guts that looked promising on the map. The afternoon was spent negotiating thick pole tickets and getting squealed at by sika that i couldn't quite get eyes on before they busted me. The strong SW wind swirling was definitely not helping either. Back to the tent for dinner and a regroup. Looking at the map it looked like a face further along the ridge maybe more sheltered, try that in the morning.

As the alarm sounded in the pre dawn darkness I woke to the patter of leaves hitting the flysheet. Opening the tent the leafs turned out to be big wet snow flakes and a bitter southerly. I chose to delay the start of the days hunt for a few hours. Once I finally made it out I had a repeat of the previous days efforts all be it alot colder. I did find some good looking areas worth a look when there was less wind. I made my way out to the truck with a light pack but a head full of future plans.

Name:  Resized_20200814_123653.jpeg
Views: 528
Size:  243.8 KB
    Kaimanawa camp

This weekend saw my next opportunity to have a look for a deer. This time the truck pointed to the Urewera. I didn't have high hopes as the area of interest was pretty easily accessible by the general public but did look good on the map. Nothing like boots on the ground to confirm it though. As i turned up a side creek from the main valley the sight of very fresh deer prints in the sand bought a smile to my face, at least there are deer here! I made my way slowly up a spur through lovely open bush with plenty of feed and sun, gotta be something about. The dog was occasionally air scenting but no solid indication. we spent a few hours making our way uphill spooking an unseen deer at close quarters, bugger!

Looking at the map i noted we where approaching a saddle that had a nice looking head basin at its head, time to slow down. The dogs nose lifted and she began to take a keen interest in the breeze coming up the gut. We slowly moved forward scanning the open grassy head basin. A brown lump caught my eye, we froze and watched as a hind slowly fed unaware between the trees 50m below. Rifle slowly to the shoulder and crosshairs lined up on the shoulder inline with the front leg. The 150gr BT hit its mark and she disappeared into the long hookgrass. We made our way down and inspected our prize, a beautiful condition young red hind. A quick bite to eat, butchery session and we were heading back down the hill to the truck.

They say the first deer is the hardest so hopefully i've got that out the way. I've rather enjoyed seeing some new country and am looking forward to chasing some new species round the local hills.

Name:  received_321369489181352.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  132.9 KB
    Success
    Tahr, Bonecrusher, 199p and 41 others like this.

Well Done on getting that hard first one in a new area. Those sika will keep you on your toes but are great animals to hunt. Good luck on your future hunts.
    Hunty1 likes this.

Awesome, straight into it. You have some awesome new hunting to look forward to now
    Hunty1 likes this.

great stuff...enjoy the venni
    Hunty1 likes this.

57JL
    they don,t call Seka gray ghosts for no reason

Good report @Hunty1 I was wondering how you were getting on up there. You'll be into those sika in no time.
    Hunty1 likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Good report @Hunty1 I was wondering how you were getting on up there. You'll be into those sika in no time.
    Cheers mate, some good country up here for sure! Think the kiamanawa sika will be very similar style hunting to the fallow in the Blue mtns.

I've heard people describe it that way @Hunty1 I imagine more vocal. Looking forward to hearing about it.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Hey mate got anymore photos of your deer ? What area of te Urewera looks Rusa like .

Well it looks like I bagged my first Rusa! Cheers to knowledgable forum folk for pointing it out!