Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 12 Post By DXROLLA

Thread: First "proper" hunt

First "proper" hunt

Well as the title suggests this was my first proper hunt into new country with the missus. Have done a few day trips here and there in different spots and been hunting with mates. This was my first overnighter as well Better late than never i guess.

I have been planning this trip for a month or two, chose it mainly for ease of access to the hut via vehicle. Mainly being our first overnighter and with the missus her first big trip i wanted the security of the truck in case something went wrong/weather packed in or the missus pack a sad We brought our tent in case someone was already at the hut but luckily we were the first ones there so got set up unloaded the packs of everything we didnt need and loaded up with everything we did.
    javascript://

Also Bucks first overnight trip which he loved

We set off about 2:50pm from the hut and made our way along the the main ridge behind the hut until we reached the highest point with a decent view of the gullies around us. Picked a spot sheltered from the howling wind that was swirling across us which wasnt ideal. Glassed for a couple of hours looking spotted a mob of sheep and that was about it so decided to move around a bit more where i could see some more of the valley closer to us. Sat down for about 20min and than the missus jumps up and points across the valley and here are three deer tucked up a gut feeding on the only green patch of grass in the gully which i hadnt even spotted yet They were quite a way away but being the first deer we had spotted i got a bit excited and decided we had to get across the valley to try and get a better view and drop in on top of them.

We made it across and by the time we got back to the top of the gully is was getting on 8:00pm. By this time i couldnt work out which gut they were down and how far along the valley they were. We had a bit of a glass around a couple of gullies with no luck, it was starting to get dark and was a long walk back to the hut so decided to call it a night and try again in the morning.
    By the time we got back to the hut it was pitch black and we looking forward to some tea.

Fired up the macpac cooker and pot for the first time, worked a treat was super stocked with it. Had a back country meal also great. And had a good nights sleep in the hut.

Woke up in the morning and decided to walk around to the first spot we were at where we spotted the deer to try and get a better reference or see if we can spot them, couldnt see them but new where i needed to go this time (wish i spent more time the night before and not get all excited, but we live and learn). Headed back to the truck and packed up our stuff and drove around to where i needed to be. By this time the missus was buggered so i left her at the truck and headed off down the valley to where they were. Was perfect conditions wind in my face the whole way down, plenty of cover on the way down. Found a good rock to glass over the bottom of the valley but no sign of them. Spent a good half hour glassing the faces thinking they may be bedded down some where but no luck. So made my way back to the truck, by this time i was buggered and ready for home.

All in all i was stocked with our first trip even though i wish i had done things differnetly. But all that comes with experience and to spot animals on our first trip was awesome. From what i could see from the distance it looked like two young stags, looked to have good length, and possibly a hind or maybe a young spiker as it was quite a bit smaller than the other two.

jakewire, Wildman, 7mmsaum and 9 others like this.

Great report. Your first deer is always the hardest! 😀

Always wanted to go to that spot

Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Congrats! Great to see family hunting going on!

Mac

Family that hunts together stays together !

Crackin photo of the pooch.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt