Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 13 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By the scudd
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: First roar action 2016 part 3. Top of south Success again!

First roar action 2016 part 3. Top of south Success again!

After the good start to the roar with some early action and the good nine i got friday i decided to go again today and take my mate that came on friday.
    As my mate hasnt shot a stag as yet the plan was to try and get him one so where to go?
    On tuesday i lost a stag i roared up so i thought i knew what ridge he might be on so i decided to have a second crack at that one.
    Another DOC block, but closer to home. We arrived early and made a bee line for the ridge in the distance that i was hoping was holding the stag.

I did some roars here and there with the Graf caller but no replys as we went along. Wasnt alot of sign, couple of marks but the place had some rain the night before.
    By Mid morning, we were nearly at the ridge when simon stops me and reckens he heard a distance moan.
    I didnt hear anything, but hes got younger ears than me so i stopped and did a couple of roars.
    Nothing, so we carry on but we only got 30 m when a stag starts up low down. You beauty i thought and fired another roar back. Sure enough the stag answered and seemed to be heading up so it was on!
    Nothing better when a stags roaring nearby and you waiting to see if hes coming in, such a buzz. Sure enough, after another roar the stags not far away and heading up the ridge in front of us.
    We werent on the ridge, so i told Simon to chamber a round (7m mag 139gr) and head for that tree 50m ahead and get ready, hes yours.

I hung back and turned the volume right down on the Graf Caller and tried to roar the stag in for my mate to shoot him. The stag replyed with a rather aggressive reply but was still out of sight.
    With hand signals i got Simon to go in abit further and wait while i try roar him in. He disappeared out of sight just over the brow and i roared.

Suddenly i could hear the crown fern crashing around right where my mate should be. Surly its not him making that rackett

Still no shot, then i hear movement higher up about 50 yards away when suddenly theres a almighty roar from the stag. It sounded awesome, i was thinking it must be right on top of him there somewhere and then BOOM goes his 7mmag.

I hear fern crashing and something is charging my way just slightly higher up. He hasnt missed has he lol or is the stag wounded so i get ready as a deer come busting out of the fern past me and heading back the way we come.
    Its not a stag, but a hind so i let it be when BOOM another shot goes off and a yell ĪVE GOT HIM"".

You beauty, and i arrive to see my mate with a grin a mile wide, heart still beating that fast he thought he might have a heart attack

It was a very nice 8 pointer, another good stag for a Nelson Bush stag, and was he fat! Soild timber(27x27) and for his first stag it was a beauty.
    Simon was over the moon, and as it happened the stag was chasing the hind around, trying to steer it up and the stag ran past him that close he could of reached out and grabbed it while he croached in the high crown fern.
    Awesome day, awesome weekend, and we managed two good nelson Doc stags.....cant beat it!!!!

And heres fridays one cheers

Wildman, Nathan F, Tahr and 10 others like this.

Nice one also to get your mate one way to go guys

Nice going mr 243. I see what you mean about the antler colour.
    Just so you know for the future though.....there are no deer in there mate
    deer243 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Nice going mr 243. I see what you mean about the antler colour.
    Just so you know for the future though.....there are no deer in there mate
    Mmmm......yes, i see theres certainly no deer in there....thats what the note said on my car window when i got out . Darm, Pengy must have a tracker hidden on my car to find the no deer spots lmao.

cracking stag.
    there is something very satisfying about getting someone there first animal, i took a mate out yesterday evening and he managed to shoot his first deer a nice fallow doe. well done to you both
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Mmmm......yes, i see theres certainly no deer in there....thats what the note said on my car window when i got out . Darm, Pengy must have a tracker hidden on my car to find the no deer spots lmao.
    Really a note?
    Well it's better than slashed tyres
    Had that in the Kiamais. Lucky they only did one. I'd twisted my ankle that day as well could have been a lot worse. Before mobile phones and all too!
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Really a note?
    Well it's better than slashed tyres
    Had that in the Kiamais. Lucky they only did one. I'd twisted my ankle that day as well could have been a lot worse. Before mobile phones and all too!
    I just happened to be passing and couldn't resist being a smart arse
    deer243 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    well what he said is true, @deer243 cause after you have been there there are no deer......................left

Well done mate
    deer243 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Nice one!!!!