Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree35Likes
  • 29 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Trout

Thread: FIRST SUMMER DEER.

FIRST SUMMER DEER.

I was getting tired of shop meat and the weather looked good around Labor weekend.So last Monday afternoon i went for a drive with the flow of traffic north.Few hours later got to a area i know well,hmm most of the area had been sprayed killing about 2/3s of broom and Matagari,bugger.Not a lot of spring grass about but a little grass starting to come thru.Just befor dark i parked the truck up and walked for about a hr along the river bed bush edges.Seen some sign in the sand pitts which looked promising.Nothing around so back to the truck,well it was just nice being out there.Got up about 5 am and went for a walk in another direction where it might be a bit greener.About 30 minuts later i scan a area with the thermos monoculars.Well bugger me days,2 dog heads looking at me in the long green grass n weeds about 150yds away.Look like great dane dog heads,long ears sticking up.I thort another 20 minuts it will be day light enough to take a shot.I lay on the ground and watched them,i was on a bit of a bank looking over them,they didnt move and one even tucked his head down and went back to sleep.I love this watchn deer.
    About 15 minuts later a bit of a light breeze came up from behind me rigth in their direction.I knew theyed be onto me,i watched them thru my scope,dialled mag up to 3x.Minuts later one stood up broad side,i didnt bugger around,aiming at centre of the sholder,sqeezed of the trigger.Deer dropped on the spot,other deer sprinted off,didnt stop to see how his mate was.I walked over to where he was,took about 10 minuts to find him in a dip in the ground.I ranged him at 183 yds lot further than i thort.He was a big yearling,well feed.Just what i wanted,delegge him and took back steaks.Buitifull fresh meat at last.Few hours later,got home,had a bit of venison steak and speights for mid day lunch,nice.Name:  20211027_171308.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  2.30 MB

Well done mate

You're making it sound so easy @Trout.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nothing easy about driving 7 hours in total RUMPY lols.Its easy when the steak is in the pan and you are opening a cold speights.Its all in the preparation,look whats under the yearling,nice colourfull food.Look for good food,youl find deer.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Nothing easy about driving 7 hours in total RUMPY lols.Its easy when the steak is in the pan and you are opening a cold speights.Its all in the preparation,look whats under the yearling,nice colourfull food.Look for good food,youl find deer.
    Your trout fishing background has put you nicely in touch with out-thinking (or thinking like) deer.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I can almost taste the steak from here. enjoy it.

Freezer will be looking better now, still another one wouldn't go astray.

Freezer still way too empty,freezer can take 5 red yearlings of legs and back steaks easilly.But i debone everything and put into about 600grams packs.So can freeze a fear bit of venison and enjoy it year round.Bugga the supermarkets.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good stuff trout well done

I must try looking thru a thermos monocular one day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Cut and packed up 17kgs of venison for the freezer.He was a big well feed yearling.Next one please.
    Tahr likes this.