Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 11 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 2 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By RUMPY

Thread: The Ghost Deer

The Ghost Deer

Evening all. I finally got around to making the video from our first public land hunt following the lockdown in May. As you will see if was a pretty choice day but also an extremely frustrating and baffling one aswell. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/P-CSs79Gt5M

I’ve come across a few ‘bullet proof deer’ over the years and seen the odd deer knocked over by a spine shot later get up and need another shot. But yeah, like you, I thought that one was money in the bank.
    Makes you smile a bit when you review the footage and listen you your comments. 😀
    stagstalker likes this.

Don't feel bad I'm sure most of us have had the same at some stage.
    I shot one in the neck just on dark dropped it like a sack of Spud's. By the time I got done to it it was pitch black, we searched and searched but no bloody deer no blood not even a drop.
    I came to the same conclusion shocked the neck, enough to tip it over but before we got to it there was time for it to recover and run away.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    stagstalker likes this.

Banned
    To me the bullet appears to hit high in the rear of the right shoulder blade
    dannyb and stagstalker like this.

Bad luck not finding yr deer,you tried hard to find it.Gota be only slightly wounded.
    Cheers for vid.
    stagstalker likes this.

You ended up with the best one ! , a couple of years ago me and my mate where hunting mid april we ended up in a catchment up on the tops steep & scrubby I was watching my mate push through flax n crap in a tight little gut & was stunned to see a tiny fawn all covered in white spots gap it only meters from my mate it could only have been a week or 2 old , so rite there tells the story of stags still giving the odd moan in may iv heard them my self so can now put it down to a hind on a late cycle...that's my theory anyway.
    stagstalker likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

two guys,two dogs,two looking sessions...sleep easy bud you did everything you could to find her....must be very lightly hit to get away like that....maybe you found the mystical VOID area,below spine but above vitals....
    stagstalker likes this.

I lost a young sika with a 10m neck shot once. Searched for ages and only found a bit of hair where it was standing when shot. Just have to hope you winged it and it will walking around fine as it ever was. Can't say you didn't try.
    stagstalker likes this.