Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree55Likes
  • 39 Post By MB
  • 8 Post By Flyblown
  • 3 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By sometimes1
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Goat hunting in a rainforest like a ninja!

MB

Goat hunting in a rainforest like a ninja!

Dry conditions left me frustrated on my last goat hunt. Every footstep through dried leaves was painfully noisy. I spooked two animals and came away with nothing. Usual caveat, I know goats can be easy to hunt, but these animals are heavily culled on surrounding private land and are easily spooked, plus in Northland, the entire forest floor is covered in detritus and the bush is dense, so moving quietly is challenging.

Following advice I received on this forum, I decided to try again during a few days of heavy rain. I also slowed right down and was careful with my footsteps.

Although the bush provided reasonable cover from the rain, everything was wet and I made an early decision to wear a waterproof layer. Normally, I hate hunting in waterproofs, but the jacket kept me warm. Since I planned to move slowly and wait it out in likely spots, I think this was the right decision.

It wasn't long before I found some fresh tracks and came across a small mob of goats which were spread out.

I only moved when there was a gust of wind or downpour of rain and got remarkably close. This was necessary to get a clear shot in the dense bush. At one point, I could have reached out and grabbed a goat. They had no idea I was there. Real ninja stuff (in my mind anyway!). I had animals all around me and selected the youngest for a headshot with a subsonic round at 2 metres. Trigger pulled and down it went.

The other animals disappeared as quietly as I had approached them. I would have taken another if I had the chance, but no drama as mission accomplished.

As usual, full respect given to the animal. It was skinned and gutted and carried out whole in my pikau which was sent to me by another forum member. I'm always amazed at how much you can get in these bags.

A short and successful goat hunt through following good advice. Thank you.
    veitnamcam, Trout, Puffin and 36 others like this.

Great report of some proper goat hunting. Next time, slip a leash over its neck and walk it out like a dog, save the carry.

Just...say...the...word

Gone but not forgotten
    Ya gotta luv it when a plan comes together!
    One area I hunt there is a small open patch that catches the morning sun and always has plenty of sign. One day I snuck up from downstream through an absolute mess of dead punga fronds and fallen logs and branches. I don't know how long it took me but I was almost silent, really taking my time with every step in slow motion. No deer there, but I still remember it as my best ever ninja moment. Most times I lose concentration or patience.
    One other time I came in from the upstream side that is much more open. I snuck in okay, then checked up the ridge a bit and came back to the open patch. Nothing around so relaxed ands let out a loud breath, next thing I hear a couple of deer take off from the dry stream bed about 10m below me - definitely not a ninja moment!
    JessicaChen, Micky Duck and MB like this.

Nice mate, good to see the advice being applied and the results.
    MB likes this.

Great write up awesome effort on the goat
    MB likes this.

if you find a leaning log,or semi cave up against bank where goats shelter in the rain.....well pop back for visit DURING the rain...
    good on you for getting right amoung them.... subsonic is heck of lot of fum up that close...couple years back I shot nanny at 3 yards,quickly reloaded,her yearlings were behind her and first leaned over to see why Mum had layed down,phhhhit 2nd head shot goat in pile,3rd one took off....hilarious.local Nepalese family were very grateful.
    JessicaChen, MB and caberslash like this.