Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 25 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By Trout

Thread: GOLDEN HOUR

GOLDEN HOUR

Iv been watching the weather hopeing to fill the freezer befor the roar.Last Thursday was a buitifull day and the evening weather should be perfect.Parked the truck up and walked for about 20 minuts amongst the broom and tussock,not a breath of wind was felt.Got to a big clearing not far from the little stream near by.I stood by some tall broom and glassed the area and small hill near by which had a some bushs and broom on it.A hind was amongst the broom having a good look at me.She was about 400yds away,so quiet safe where she was.I decided to walk abit further,couple of hunred yards on the clearing edge.Suddenly i could hear branchs and under growth,breaking up,quiet noisey,i froze and had my right hand on the bolt ready.It went quiet but i could hear the thumping of hooves,then a big spikers antlers appeared above the broom,looking in my direction about 80yds aways,but he was on my case,bugger.Well it was getting near dark now,so il thort il make my way back to the truck.Took about 3 steps and there was a hind and a yearling about 50yds to my left on the edge of the clearing.They must have been there only about 20 seconds,it was getting dark and they hadnt spotted me.I had been moving quiet slowly in and out of the broom edge,i froze and quitly put one up the spout and lifted the 308.Thru the scope on darkness i could see the hind just lift her head.I thort shoot her, the yearling will stay a few second longer.Il take both.Squeezed off the trigger,she dropped like a sack of spuds,the yearling ran about 4 mtrs and i shot him too.
    Walked over to them,fk iv got my hands fill here,she was a big girl,the yearling wasnt a yearling but last summers fawn,but bloody big for a 4-5 month fawn.I put my head lamp on by now,it was getting dark and 1/4 moon was rising.Went to get my knife and get to work on them.Couldnt find my knife ffs,didnt want them getting too hot on a warm evening.I had to walk back to the truck only about 20 minuts each way,but i managed to get the truck back to with in about 200yds on the deer.The hinds back quarters were bloody heavy.Took me 4 return trips carrying all the legs and meat to the truck,fkn near killed me.
    I got home about 1am in the morning,hung the legs ups and got told off for being so late home,i said you lucky i came home at all,lols.
    Today i just bagged all the meat up into small packs,500-600 gram packs.Wrapped up the hocks for roasting.Ended up with about 28.81 kilos of meat.
    It was a golden hour that was perfect.Name:  20210318_220619.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  3.05 MBName:  20210318_220648.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  3.03 MB

Nice lil read mate.

Great stuff Grant, all those years guiding fisherman up those riverbeds is proving its worth, how do you rate the Vixen scope?

Hi NW,very good scope,lets in lots of light on twilight.Only goes up to 6x,can till shoot moa to 300yds so thats find by me,most deer are under 200yds.Nice field of view and shoots very accurately.
    Most rivers provide water,makes grass grow and attracts deer.Im no mountain climber and the old patrol gets me close to deer areas.My birthday is in the middle of April,i always try to bag a deer on that day.Makes for a good drop of bourbon.
    Good luck for the roar NW.
    Mooseman and matagouri like this.

Final zero with new vixen scope,bottom 2 shots with pen tail,fmj147gr,next 2 shots with hornady on right then final zero shots on centre then one click up.Name:  20210226_122432 (1).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  148.5 KB

MAC
    good read thanks