Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: A good relationship

A good relationship

The day started with a drive to the beach with the Mrs, we headed south but hit rain so headed back to a beach where we often go to and we set up the deck chairs and had a cuppa and a couple of biscuits.

With the Mrs happy I decided to plan an evening hunt where I shot my last deer with the 22.

I told the farmer he could have half of the last deer I shot but he said for me to have it so I promised him the next one, I have been out a couple of times since then but although I saw deer I couldn't shoot them for one reason or another and I knew they would still be there if I had the patience to wait.

I gave the farmer a call and he was happy for me to come out so I ate my roast dinner followed by some chocolate bavarian and vanilla ice cream then grabbed my gear and headed off.

I arrived at 6.30pm, l pushed 2 steal poles into the ground and hung my cammo net over them then unfolded my deck chair and sat back and waited.

I had been looking over a spot for around an hour and a half when I looked over in a paddock to my left and there was a big sour with a shit load of piglets, I knew the farmer wanted the pigs shot so although I really wanted deer I had to do the right thing by the farmer and take out the pigs.
    I took out the rangefinder and range mummy pig at 150 meters, I had to get off my deck chair, slide to the left of my cammo net then lift my riffle over top of the pack to get ready to shoot however while in the process of doing this the pig stuck its nose in the air then spun around and looked right at me. I stayed dead still however the pig swung around its young gathering them up and bolted to the bush.

Bugger I thought but then I also thought maybe it was a good thing as I might still stand a chance of getting a deer.

9pm and I was concentrating on a spot, I looked in the paddock to my left where I had seen the pigs and there in the middle of the paddock is a yearling spiker, I felt my heart start to race and I had to repeat the process I had done when I saw the pigs earlier to get into position.

Now this spiker was extreamly spooky, it kept lifting its head and looking in my direction, there was a slight breeze that would blow now and then and it wasn't favourable however the deer although nervous would eventually put its head down and go back to eating.

I got into position with the riffle over the pack however my heart was racing and I needed to take some deep breaths to get it under control, finally the deer turned side on and presented a nice side on shot so with a nice deep breath and slowely exhaling I squeezed the trigger and with a good hard thud over it tumbled.

I looked up to see the deer laying flat in the paddock but over to my right in the high grass I noticed a stag take a few steps and then stop so I quickly lined it up and squeezed off another round to which I heard another solid thud and over it went as well.

I was so happy to be able to ring the farmer to let him know I had shot him a deer, he said right I will be over shortly with the tractor.
    He is a bloody good bugger and Im glad I have worked up such a good relationship with him as not only does he let me hunt his land but to bring over his tractor to take them out was brillant.

Just shows there are some bloody good blokes out there and it was great to be able to get a deer each for our troubles

First deer yearling spiker
    Name:  20211228_210907.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  1.27 MB

Second deer 8 pointer
    Name:  20211228_210657.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  1.41 MB

Both deer
    Name:  20211228_211105.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  1.14 MB

The good bugger with the tractor
    Name:  20211228_214410.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  918.7 KB

Happy days!
    hillclima, jakewire, Tahr and 38 others like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Nicely done!
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Niiiiice, look in good nick too. Some good eating there! Great that he rolls up in the tractor for you.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Congrats. I enjoyed reading this.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Good yarn, it’s always handy knowing someone with a 4x4 tractor!
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

That makes life a lot easier, good conditioned deer alright.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Nicely done!
    Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Niiiiice, look in good nick too. Some good eating there! Great that he rolls up in the tractor for you.
    Yeah hes a bloody good bloke, I'm cutting my deer up tomorrow and giving it to my daughter. I'm lucky my freezer is still full and she has a young daughter so she will be happy.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    Congrats. I enjoyed reading this.
    Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Good yarn, it’s always handy knowing someone with a 4x4 tractor!
    Yep that was a good bonus alright and saved a lot of hard work, as it was it was all me and my son could do to hang it under the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    That makes life a lot easier, good conditioned deer alright.
    I like to give the farmers where I shoot a bit of whitebait or fish if I get some and they have always been good to me. The deer were in excellent condition and both the farmer and my daughter will be happy.

It pays to keep knocking a couple over while the freezer is still well stocked so you don't run out.
    Micky Duck likes this.

now that is a great way to carry out deer......its AWESOME being able to fill up the daughters freezer...just done the same so I can feel the glow.
    good on ya Dad.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    now that is a great way to carry out deer......its AWESOME being able to fill up the daughters freezer...just done the same so I can feel the glow.
    good on ya Dad.
    Cheers MD I got them in the spot we were talking about by the thick bush.
    I set up a cammo blind 150 meters off it and the deer came out into the paddock, I had a good vantage point from where I was but the prevailing wind is coming from behind me.

You are right about the easy carry out something I wasn't expecting
    Micky Duck likes this.

JLF
    Good hunting. A splendid meat.
    Congratulations
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

A couple of pics of the carcase, the damage done by the 162 gr eldx and the projectile that killed him.

Name:  20211230_105443.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  20211230_153121.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  915.6 KB

Name:  20211230_153437.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  750.4 KB
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.