Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 12 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By ghosts
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Grandpamac Discovers a Bog

Grandpamac Discovers a Bog

Name:  20200225_102523.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  2.80 MB

Greetings All,
    Went for a short walk to the Kuripapango Lakes today, looking for a few spots an old fudd could have a little hunt now that the temperature has dropped a little. The lakes were formed some time by with an earthquake slip and were stocked with eels to the larger one and native fish to the other in pre European times. The eels failed as the larger lake was land locked and was stocked with brown trout, by air, in the 1950's. These do not get much bigger than a well fed sardine. It's still a nice place to go for a wander so off I went.
    The lake level varies a great deal but is low at the moment so I thought I would wander around the shore, poking my nose into the nooks and crannies on the way around. All went well until I got to the north end where a small stream flows into the lake, The ground had been a little soft but I picked my way across to the stream edge. There was a little bit of gravel in the stream bed so I stepped onto it thinking it was solid. Big mistake. My foot sunk into the bed up to my knee. Needing to take a step to steady myself, well past my knee this time. Bugger. If I wasn't careful I could find myself covered with dark and not at all fragrant mud from head to toe. I put my rifle on the bank to keep it getting any more mud than it already had on it and managed to extricate myself. Somehow the other side of the lake didn't seem all that appealing so I headed back whence I came. As I sogged along I thought I heard a soft voice from behind my left shoulder. Whether it was Charley Jane's Murphy or my rifle I don't know. I thought I may have heard the words Old Fart but perhaps I imagined the whole thing.
    Grandpamac.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Brian and 9 others like this.

at least the gravel wasnt a layer of pumice sitting together as has been known to fool more than one fella before....
    you got out safe so all is well that ends well.
    grandpamac likes this.

Just shows how quickly things can come unstuck, lucky it wasn't quicksand. Any deer around in your travels?
    grandpamac likes this.

Thanks Gentlemen,
    This area is a favourite spot of mine and only 50 km from home. North of the Tutaekuri River, only a few km away is the old Kaweka Hut site where I have spent a bit of time over the last 30 years or so. The hut burnt down 17 years ago but it is still a good area. I hope to get back up there this year for a fly camp mobility permitting.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Woody and Mooseman like this.

Greetings Mooseman,
    Only a bit off fresh sign yesterday. It was a gentlemen's hours wander so sightings we neither expected or experienced. There are however decent numbers of deer in the area, mostly Sika but a few reds as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Woody and Mooseman like this.

@grandpamac hope it wasnt Charley Janes 270 with that muzzel brake that you got covered in mud....if so it might have been his weimaraner you could hear in your ear did it come with a german acent?
    grandpamac likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

No Sideshow. The rifle was a T3 in 6.5 x 55 mm. Come to think of it there may have been a Scandinavian accent.

Had an enjoyable evening fishing in that wee lake many moons ago. Was just like you said small browns which we released. Seen bigger gold fish.
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Mooseman,
    Only a bit off fresh sign yesterday. It was a gentlemen's hours wander so sightings we neither expected or experienced. There are however decent numbers of deer in the area, mostly Sika but a few reds as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    That good having a handy spot with good numbers of deer, good luck for your next outings.
    grandpamac likes this.