Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 15 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By kukuwai

Thread: Hairy moments after lockdown.

Hairy moments after lockdown.

Well, those two days didnt quite go to plan hunting after lockdown.
    After thursdays effort which some may have already read under "Beware of hidden dangers"" in the Hunting section where basicly i spooked a stag, another deer and a pig
    and got struck in quicksand type mud and ended up with nothing apart from pulled muscles and covered in mud.

Well Saturday i went back to the same place with my mates 3 pig dogs to try get a pig as saw abit of pig sign there. Everything started off all good.
    His main two dogs found a good pig right where i thought they be and had a good bail going.
    One dog was holding quite often while the other was bailing and no noise at all from the pig. While we were getting there with his pup in tow the pig was slowly dragging the dogs down the hill in the thick fern.
    Suddenly while we were only 70 m away we heard a strange squeak from lower down and then nothing from the dogs.
    Pushed though some more fern and fuk me, we right on the edge of a big bluff with a straght drop of 100m plus! I could see one dog right at the edge of the bluff then the pup which by then had gone to the bail.

No sign of the other dog which likes to hold and we soon came to the fact that the pig had gone over the bluff and prob the dog with it.
    Hairy moment right there as no pig or dog is surviving that drop.
    Lucky for us the other dog appeared and was always looking for a way down this wicked bluff. We found the marks where the dogs had it and where the pig went over but no chance of a recovery without a massive effort later on coming from the bottom and thats if we could find it.

Carried on up the hill thanking our lucky stars we still had the dogs when the three dogs took of again.
    One dog went over the top while the other started a bail on a mob of pigs not far from us .
    When the pup arrived the pigs broke and nearly i shot a good pig that i couldnt quite see go past me and my mate saw a good sow he nearly lined up but disappeared in the fern.

The dogs grabbed a small one and killed that then went of on another and caught another small pig down the gut.

Decided after all the action we have a quick look at one more spot and of home . Wasnt much at that one but on the walk back to the car i saw a large wild black cat up the hill.
    Mate said shoot the thing so i lined the black panther up and bowled it over with the 308.

Wasnt quite the plan but least got out of the quicksand just, nearly lost the dogs to a certain death but didnt, only caught couple of small pigs instead of a couple of big ones
    and got a big cat.
    Still, good to be out and doing it!
    Next week its Fallow deer hunting time in a new spot, stay tuned for the next adventure of a bush stalker ......

It certainly hasn't been boring for you anyway.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Great write up
    Sounds like you are just about to run out of luck at that spot

That would have been a terrible end had the dog gone over, good that all ended well.

nothing wrong with a bit of random pussy to liven up the day.....your mates dogs have brains ,they let go.
    you are getting out and getting exercise...sooner or later your mojo will return and you will be slaying deer again.
    have you gone and bought box of winchester 180grn loads for the o8 yet????
    deer243 likes this.

They say shit happens in threes....

Counting the cut hand, that's your lot !!

So.......next times a winner for sure mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!