Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Houghton Hall - Private Estate.

Houghton Hall - Private Estate.

I haven’t managed to get out hunting since leaving New Zealand in August of last year to embark on my overseas experience. Not long after arriving, I joined up with several online hunting forums and began sharing my experiences and contributing information when and where I could. Before long, offers to go hunting started rolling in. However, six months later and I am still waiting on all except of these guys to get back to me with ‘dates’ despite being impatient and sending them friendly reminders from time to time.

I began exchanging private messages with one guy in particular and before long, we had confirmed dates and I was able to book time off work. Three weeks later, I found myself being picked up in the early hours of the morning and I was off hunting for the weekend.

We were to be hunting on the private estate of ‘Houghton Hall’ – (residence of David Cholmondeley, 7th Marquess of Cholmondeley). Exploring the grounds of this place was an experience in itself. There were over 20 different species of deer on the place – mostly of Asian origin.

Houghton Hall.

The hunt itself was very different to what I am used to back home in New Zealand. Generally, it involved us stalking down ‘rides’ (vehicle tracks) through the wooded areas and scouting for deer along the way. There were two main species to be targeted for the weekend,

Typical hunting environment - 'rides'.

High seat - plenty of these around.

Muntjacs are an incredibly small and agile deer and very seldom do they stand still. When you also factor in the size of these deer in relation to the height of the vegetation on the ground (spring time) – spotting and being able to shoot the deer proved challenging at times. Both males and females were in season.

Muntjac - young buck.

Roe deer on the other hand are slightly larger in size but are a lot more cunning. At this particular time of the year, females were out of season and just as luck would have it; we predominantly only saw females and what males were seen, were a little frisky and already on the move.

Roe deer - there are two (third hidden) deer in this photo.

In total I saw around 50-60 deer for the two days hunting. Of those seen, around 30 were Fallow (out of season); around 10-12 Roe (all except two were female and out of season) and around 15-20 Muntjac – of which I shot two good bucks off sticks using a custom built .300wsm.

First Mutnjac.

Second Muntjac.

Shooting of the sticks.

The game keeper managed to shoot around a dozen Fallows throughout the weekend. Although out of season, he has a special permit to harvest them if they are caught eating the estates crops – as they were. When processing the animals for the chiller – he informed me that just last week his beloved Sambar stag ‘Sammy’ had passed away at 17 years of age. I couldn’t resist a photo with the head.

Sammy.

Despite not shooting a roe buck it was an amazing weekend. I’ve been invited back up to the estate the Roe buck rut and the opening of fallow season – can’t wait.

Fingers crossed I can shoot a Roe buck before returning back to New Zealand later in the year.

Pop Shot

Congratulations on the bucks mate, I know you've been hanging out to shoot one for a while now!

Certainly a different way of hunting, "Sammys" a cracker! Any other decent Sambar Stags on the estate?
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Way to go Pop Shot. Mate marry into that family and you'll be set.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Mate that would have been a wicked weekend

Those muntjac are tiney little fellas huh.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Mate that would have been a wicked weekend

Those muntjac are tiney little fellas huh.
    I would be tempted to put one on a spit to see how it turned out. Probably sacrilege but well basted and not over cooked it could be delicious.
    Gibo likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Slap one between two bits of bread ! . Man they are tiny . Thanks for strory

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Slap one between two bits of bread ! . Man they are tiny . Thanks for strory
    Ha ha ha ha and leave the thigh bone in as a tooth pick for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    Any other decent Sambar Stags on the estate?
    Believe it or not but Sammy didn't die from old age, another stag killed him (punctured his lungs). Only a small mob of 16 if I remember but it's still the biggest herd in the western hemisphere.

They are of a different sub species to the Sambar of New Zealand. The deer on the estate of the cervous niger strain (Indian) and grow slightly larger in terms of body size and antlers, whereas, New Zealand's herd is the cervous unicolor which originates from Sri Lanka. I couldn't stop reading all his books on how deer where introduced into New Zealand - very interesting.

Sweet pics mate, thanks for the write up

ebf
    Cool, tx for the write up.

What brand shooting sticks, comments about shooting off them ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

great stuff awesome pics
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Way cool!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

well done that man.certainly makes a contrast to our shooting conditions here in NZ.be interested (like others)to get your impressions of shooting off the sticks.
    sammy RIP-an impressive looking beast.

Great yarn, pop shot, i didnt hunt when i lived in pommyville, as a 'scouser' they probably would have shot me!....very interesting mate, as Rushy said, pity the daughters were not 'in season'.......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Another young huntress
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I would be tempted to put one on a spit to see how it turned out. Probably sacrilege but well basted and not over cooked it could be delicious.
    Sounds good.