Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How to sight in a rifle - the right way

How to sight in a rifle - the right way

So after getting my mate his first stag with Black Beauty, he's been totally hooked. He's just got his FAL and bought his first rifle!

It arrived today (he's cack handed) so was keen to sight it in. Coupla rounds down range and it was sorted. I couldn't help myself but set up this mega wanky photo but hey, I think this T3 in 7mm08 looks just fine without a latte in the foreground!

Smiles all round and we thought we would he cheeky and Cruize over the road to a likely spot. Not two minutes into the hunt and I spotted a goat, 550yards away. "Nope, only deer" he says.

Three minutes into the hunt...we spot a spiker 150yards away!! He sets up with another mates assistance and I see...a second spiker behind him in the "safety" of some thistle.

Boom goes the Tikka, flop goes the deer. And the other bigger spiker just stood there so it would be shame not to follow up. And just 0.2seconds later, my savage shot it's second deer.

Hot barrels.

T3 straight outta the box

Deer on the deck!

.223 vs red heart

My neighbour and mate Jade, into it.

The huge redskin that my sisters inlaws have requested
    Last edited by Dougie; 11-02-2015 at 12:41 AM.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nice looking block,well done.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

F-ing sweet. Miss my T3....

Thumbs up to you, well done!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Good work,nice looking rifle too but they do look weird with the bolt on the wrong side.
    Dougie and deer243 like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

have a heart Dr dougy!.do you do routine post mortems or is it just for special occasions.
    PS -for all you boring types us cacker handers are the truly talented.
    Barefoot and Andrew46826 like this.

The bolt is on the correct side thank you kindly.
    Barefoot likes this.

Well done, you did better than me last night. Hunted for 2 hours before seeing an animal, a young fallow buck, too far away to stalk. Then after another hour finally bumped into another deer, a fawn. Left it, and round the corner bumped into its mum. Didn't see anything else until last light when I was climbing up out of a creek and 20m away was a young stag peering down over the scrub at me. No chance of a shot. Hunting's just like that sometimes.
    Aly likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Well done, you did better than me last night. Hunted for 2 hours before seeing an animal, a young fallow buck, too far away to stalk. Then after another hour finally bumped into another deer, a fawn. Left it, and round the corner bumped into its mum. Didn't see anything else until last light when I was climbing up out of a creek and 20m away was a young stag peering down over the scrub at me. No chance of a shot. Hunting's just like that sometimes.
    Mate that sounds bloody successful to me! Seeing deer is a treat, now you know where to ninja back in tonight What colour was the fallow? When I first saw the goat I thought it might be a black fallow yearling but there aren't any in that block.

Very fun night and I am quite knackered today! Lots of butchering. Oh and thanks @7mmsaum for my Christmas present of a gimble for the rafters in my shed, even with it I really had to yank hard to get that big red up on the hook. Very cool set up though thanks!!! Worked a treat.

Also PS - this was a bloody big spiker. His body was as large as the 12 point stag I shot a while back. What's up with that? He had very minimal fat on him, so surely isn't that old? I thought maybe they were brothers, hanging out together but the velvet was only just stripping on my mate's spiker and mine was completely hard with huge coronets. Is that typical to have two deer in much a different antler state?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Mate that sounds bloody successful to me! Seeing deer is a treat, now you know where to ninja back in tonight What colour was the fallow? When I first saw the goat I thought it might be a black fallow yearling but there aren't any in that block.

Very fun night and I am quite knackered today! Lots of butchering. Oh and thanks @7mmsaum for my Christmas present of a gimble for the rafters in my shed, even with it I really had to yank hard to get that big red up on the hook. Very cool set up though thanks!!! Worked a treat.

Also PS - this was a bloody big spiker. His body was as large as the 12 point stag I shot a while back. What's up with that? He had very minimal fat on him, so surely isn't that old? I thought maybe they were brothers, hanging out together but the velvet was only just stripping on my mate's spiker and mine was completely hard with huge coronets. Is that typical to have two deer in much a different antler state?

Any hunt is successful. I know the block well, I hunt it several times a month. Just strange not seeing as many animals as usual on such a nice evening. The fallow was black as...and fat, had beautiful antler form and good palmation. In 2-3 more years he'll be a cracking trophy, if he hangs around/doesn't get shot in the meantime. The hind and 6 point stag were fat as mud!

Both of those deer are spikers (obviously), most likely the same age, in their first year as a juvenile stag. Most likely brothers from another mother. Other than the fact they have spikes and not antlers, you can tell they are young by the height of the coronets, they are very high above the skull and quite narrow spacing between them. As a stag ages the coronets grow larger in diameter, lower to the skull, and wider apart. A "mature" stag with a decent head will have coronets that are massive, like diameter of a coffee cup or bigger and they'll almost be hard against the top of its skull. Don't take too much notice of stages of velvet, at this time of year it can be only a matter of a few days between hardening off and polishing up. Spikers can do some weird sh*t when it comes to velvet.

Variations in body size between animals is very common (same as humans), especially wild ones. Age doesn't necessarily mean bigger animal. I've shot 8-9 year old stags smaller than a year old spiker...but shape and composition of the body is much different. Size could be as simple as the tucker they've been on, one mum/or dad being more of a hybrid than the other (red vs wap vs sika cross), fawn being conceived earlier (1st cycle vs 2nd cycle), fawn losing mum early, mum drying off early etc.
    Last edited by JoshC; 11-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    veitnamcam, Dougie and Scouser like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I have seen many wapiti/red crosses in HB but I'm quite certain this guy was straight red eh, no wap earlier in the line. He had minimal white creeping onto his back and just looked like, well, a big deer!

Thanks for the info been very cool seeing so many deer lately and discovering the differences in them. Still.....the elusive Sika has yet to see the inside of my shed

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    F-ing sweet. Miss my T3....
    I don't care what people say...this is an absolutely perfect set up for a new hunter, and crap the price! Plenty of dosh left in his pocket. He'll never sell this gun (if he knows what's good for him ) I can see it shooting many a deer, pig, whatever else walks in front of it. Very super proud of my bud for making a great D on rifle selection and doing the business with it just hours after opening the box!!!

Pretty cool pic of it too, if I say so myself
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I have seen many wapiti/red crosses in HB but I'm quite certain this guy was straight red eh, no wap earlier in the line. He had minimal white creeping onto his back and just looked like, well, a big deer!

Thanks for the info been very cool seeing so many deer lately and discovering the differences in them. Still.....the elusive Sika has yet to see the inside of my shed

Every deer does look different in one way or another! Those two do look very red, and strictly speaking are red deer. However these days there are not many "handy" hunting areas in NZ, especially in the vicinity of farmed deer (within 50 odd kms) that you can absolutely guarantee the herd is not influenced in some way by farmed genetics. You'd probably be pretty surprised where x-bred deer turn up. Not a bad thing tho.
    Dougie likes this.

Excellent result Dougie,your mate must be chuffed, sight his rifle and drop a deer in the same day.....you will have peeps thinking its 'easy'........well done
    Dougie likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Nice work and a good way to test out the new rifle.
    Dougie likes this.