Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: A hunt for Capt'n Ron

A hunt for Capt'n Ron

I am lucky to have a local farm l have been helping to "Game Keep" their deer problem for over a decade now ,mainly managing the Fallow they have roaming in & out as like many land owners going back through the ages, they like the look of a few wandering around the place. I am normally called to help guide various relatives/friends etc on to a nice head when they feel the need & keep the numbers down & remove any problem animals.

What l normally do is keep the choice cuts & make my own sausages & salami out of the rest & keep the owners supplied with snags & nibbles for their summer/xmas BBQ season , something they are always grateful for & has lead to being asked by other farms to do the same on their land .

With the lock downs of late limiting hunting by the owners visiting relatives & friends , l have been called in to remove a few stags of late as they moved into unwanted areas & the owner is worried about attracting poachers (removed that White Fallow Stag a while ago because it was taking up home on a hillside visible from far away & poachers have been using drones for last couple of years) .

Name:  RED White Fallow Sml.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  57.7 KB

I got the call a few weeks ago that the owners had unsuccessfully been trying to remove a problem Fallow Stag for months & had only succeeded in training it in how to avoid humans ,so as l normally hunt the land as spare time permits ,which with it being only 45 mins from my farms front gate to be glassing , means usually at least once a week ,with a meat animal taken on the regular, that we share with the neighboring farms families.

So after locating this cunning bugger skulking off into the bush line a couple of times after getting spooked by the wind or birds ,l looked around & tracked him so l could work out his favored spots .I decided this morning to head out for first light & catch him sunning himself across a valley ,l had already ranged the most likely spots from where l could get a good clear shot into various likely sun bed spots ,with ranges varying from 280-520 meters.

A while ago a client who became a close friend died in America & by complete surprise l found Capt'n Ron had left me various rifles , most were pretty similar to what l already owned so l decided to just leave them set up as he had them & use them for "special" hunts mainly ,he was a life long Military man who had a long & distinguished career around the world at the highest levels ,so he kept meticulous records on all his rifles & selected loads . So on this hunt l decided to take out a custom Remington 700 Sendero SF 2 .300RUM with Vortex HS LR 6x24-50 he left me & use that , with one of his selected light 150grn loads ,that l found shot into 14mm after testing, to hopefully take the Stag & l would keep the Head & Skin in Capt Rons memory ( l am not much of a "trophy" hunter any more).

Name:  RED Capt Rons 300RUM Sml.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  50.9 KB

So after timing it perfectly so l was creeping into position under false dawn light, l settled in with a warm thermos of coffee to start glassing & waiting, after around 30 mins l could see movement behind the veil of bush across the valley & sure enough the cunning buggers head materialized through the bino's , as he stood warily surveying the surroundings from behind his bush screen, before he would cautiously step out in to the open .I quickly ranged the couple of most likely sunny spots l guessed he would head for & he eventually made his way out to a spot 335 mtrs away with a fair breeze coming up the valley, once he moved into my favored side on position for a shoulder shot ,aiming to punch through to the off shoulder ,l sent the Swift 150grn Scirocco pushed along at 3480fps & he dropped like a sack of spuds.

I have to admit something got in my eye & l just had a sit & coffee while l sat next to the Stag & l reflected on my decades of hunting & running amuck with Capt Ron around the world ,he was a keen diver, motorcycle rider & sky diver like me so we had many adventures & funny times together not just hunting ,but more than anything he was one of the most important male figures in my life, a loyal friend & a valuable mentor.

He would have enjoyed the morning on the hill .

Name:  RED -Fallow for Capt Ron Sml.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  87.9 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Nice looking bucks there, that 150gr is fair honking along.
    bunji and piwakawaka like this.

A nice way to honor your friend. Great write up and thank you for sharing.
    bunji and Moa Hunter like this.

My regular fallow spot had a white hind that I saw on several occasions over a couple of seasons. The farmer banned me from shooting it which was perfectly OK with me. Even if I'd seen it prior to his conversation I wouldnt have shot it. Area was immune from poachers though.
    bunji likes this.

Just read yr hunting story twice over a couple of double bourbons.Nice bit of history with yr old mates rifle,look after his rifle.Just got told yesterday i gota have some big sun cancer removed off my cheek near my left eye bugger it gr.So your story was a nice stress relieve to get me out hunting soon.
    Tahr, bunji and Moa Hunter like this.

Nice write up. Capt Ron would be happy with such an outcome for a morning roam
    bunji and Micky Duck like this.

What a great yarn to remember your old mate. Nice sized bucks.
    bunji and Micky Duck like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Enjoyed that.
    Thanks.
    bunji likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That was a good read, nice to see your plan came together after a bit of scouting. That 300 Rum of Capt Ron's is a fine looking rifle he would have been happy with the end results. Well Done.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Just read yr hunting story twice over a couple of double bourbons.Nice bit of history with yr old mates rifle,look after his rifle.Just got told yesterday i gota have some big sun cancer removed off my cheek near my left eye bugger it gr.So your story was a nice stress relieve to get me out hunting soon.
    @Trout Wishing you all the best with the treatment mate ,amazing what they can do now .I spent a lot of time in the tropics running Dive boats & driving open jeeps in the Top End of Oz & Africa & have to have spots cut out of the back of my hands where they were exposed on steering wheels for so long .Would always cover up the head & wear sun screen on the face etc ,never ever really gave the back of the hands much thought & any sunscreen on them quickly rubbed/washed off.

Capt Ron was involved in most of the conflicts we grew up with & plenty we never heard & had Commies World wide of all sorts after his scalp,but in the end it was good old Agent Orange from the Vietnam War & his time going into the Run Sat Special Zone on missions in 68/69, that included mapping the freshly sprayed AO saturation reach in the mangroves & jungles thickets ,their Levis would go stiff from it & get thrown out. When they did research on it decades later they found even the local laundry women on base died of it from handling their contaminated jeans etc .
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Glorious
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Nice write up. Capt Ron would be happy with such an outcome for a morning roam
    @XR500 Sure would mate ,Capt Ron was nearly 2 Decades older than me ,but was one of the Fellas who came on the Cambodia/Laos motorbike expeditions we did & we rode where they hold Baja & the cross country US ride l did on my chopper , l talked about in the bike thread. Loved his bikes like us
    Micky Duck likes this.

you did your old mate proud bud...good on you.
    bunji likes this.

Great write up, loved it
    Tahr and bunji like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Excellent write up, nicely done
    bunji likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!