Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Malhunting

Thread: Hunt number 3 for 2014

Hunt number 3 for 2014

A great day it was to be with the forecast for cloud all day it would be a cool day on the hill and it was. Arrived at Waikaia early to check a handy clearing first but nothing to be seen and there hadn't been any action on the clearing since i took a yearling from it 3 weeks ago, never mind we think and head to our intended spot further afield. Once up in the valley we quickly spy 5 hinds on the other side of the valley in the top end so we move up and over to get a better look about as for me this hunt is strictly a stag hunt.

Unfortunately today was not our day and by the time we get to a ridge that gives a great view of the rest of the valley the fog rolls in and stays with us all morning and into the arvo, it was a white out as happens so often in Waikaia and it has our visibility reduced to 20m tops. At this stage we head for the tops and then separate, one to go down the creek and i go back down the bush edge.

Scotty spooks several deer on the way down the creek and i see nothing on the tops and bush edge but when i get back to the bike the fog has cleared from the lower half of the block so i slip over the hill and have a glass on the opposing side and eventually a hind turns up with a stag close behind. On this occasion both are safe as the stag is only a 6 pointer and my freezer is full so the hind also lives on to see another dawn.
    Next Hunt Thursday me thinks.

Cheers
    Mal