Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By ishoot10s

Thread: Hunting the Grasslands with Colorado and Pawnee Josh

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar

Hunting the Grasslands with Colorado and Pawnee Josh

Well last week I spent four days with these guys and their partners experiencing some of the fantastic things that Colorado has to offer and I would go back there in a heartbeat. Absolutely great people to meet and their country and gun stores are awesome. Colorado picked me up from Denver International and we went straight to a Bass-Pro store to get a Small Game License.

Name:  IMG_0894.JPG
Views: 2032
Size:  151.8 KB

Next morning, we hooked up with Josh and Emily and headed out here...

Name:  IMG_0839.JPG
Views: 2228
Size:  91.1 KB

The Pawnee National Grasslands are a mixture of State owned and private blocks, each block is about a square mile, some fenced and others not, that covers most of the Weld County area from Grover to Nunn. Some of the private blocks are in Wheat and others a grazed by cattle and buffalo, and all are roamed by Pronghorn Antelope, Mule Deer, and mongrel damn Coyotes. There are Prairie Dog towns in pockets all over the Grasslands. The larger game is hunted only in season, and by draw (ballot). My Small Game license allowed me to shoot P-dogs and Coyotes.

We'd not been on the road long when we saw these two Coyotes jump up near the road and run back into the field.

As you can tell, much excitement and not much camera... Turns out, they had just mauled this poor wee antelope fawn...

Name:  IMG_0838.JPG
Views: 2807
Size:  107.1 KB

The doe antelope actually ended up chasing the coyotes across the road in front of us and we were all gob-smacked when she caught up with one and literally bowled him over. She was PISSED. Almost as much as we were when we realised my camera had been sitting on the seat in the truck recording the dashboard instead of the action, while we all watched the chase. We did not get a shot in, the doe kept them running! We had to let nature take it's course with the fawn as, unfortunately, any acts of mercy can lead to issues with the wildlife authorities.

We pulled in to a P-Dog location a bit later and all had a crack at some dogs. They live in burrows, and sit up on top of them a bit like Meerkats. Sometimes they'll stand up on their back legs. We used Josh's new .260 and also Colorado's 22-250 to great effect out to around 300m. The latter was more prone to wind, but it's little 50 grainers sure did the business when they connected though.

Here's Emily showing me how it's done...

This was my 1st taken with Josh's rifle with it's 123 A-Max's...

Name:  IMG_0841.JPG
Views: 2555
Size:  242.0 KB

Around midday, we put the gongs out and had a play with the .260, and Colorado's .300RUM...

Well, that canon really needs to be stretching it's legs beyond 1500m, 600m on a 2 foot plate was just too easy!

We lunched in the bustling metropolis of Grover, then headed over to the wind farm, which is about twice the size of the one near Ashurst, and has just as high a percentage of turbines not working.... The Pawnee Buttes are a geological feature near there and we also drove past a missile silo, but I can't put up any pix of it coz they turned out blank for some mysterious reason...

Later in the day, Colorado took me to a gun store. Tannerite anyone?

Name:  IMG_0850.JPG
Views: 1218
Size:  176.4 KB

Nice prices on .338's...

Name:  IMG_0849.JPG
Views: 1274
Size:  131.3 KB

Next morning, Josh and I went after Coyotes. We saw a scrappy looking one slinking away through a cornfield, and then we stopped and set up in a spot with a wash running through it. It was real foggy but Josh gave a few calls.

This call was answered, but when we went down and set up the rifle, we heard nothing more, even though he tried a few other calls.

Eventually, we saw a yellow Coyote moving quickly from left to right about 300m out right on the edge of the fog but he did not present a shot.

We moved on to a Prairie Dog Town and in 5 minutes, I had 5 dogs with 5 shots all taken at 200m...

Name:  IMG_0865.JPG
Views: 2609
Size:  147.1 KB

Here's a bit of video Josh got of two of these dogs getting hammered by the .260...

The one that back-flipped, literally ended up back in his hole

Name:  IMG_0862.JPG
Views: 1723
Size:  104.5 KB

On my last day with them, Colorado took me up along the Big Thompson river into the Rocky Mountain National Park where we drove up over 12,000 feet and down into Grand Lake. We saw Moose, Marmots and Elk (in velvet) and bear shit, but no bears. Incredibly scenic place. I can't do it justice with an iPhone and Video camera. It simply has to be seen.

I have to thank Colorado and Josh and their partners for being such great hosts and hostesses and will be doing my best to help them out when they come over in December.

Cheers all, Ray.
    Last edited by ishoot10s; 02-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Awesome report, those dogs are tiny.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Fantastic
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Fantastic
    Colorado is keen to meet you Rushy, I think purely on account of your prolific post count! I'll give you a yodel when they're here.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Colorado is keen to meet you Rushy, I think purely on account of your prolific post count! I'll give you a yodel when they're here.
    Thanks. It would be my pleasure.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Now that looks like fun.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Great stuff thx for sharing.

Man that place is flat

Looks like an awesome trip and some good shooting :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sounds like a brilliant trip IS10s, great shot (both bullet and photo) of the dogs that have given up the ghost!......would love that on a T-shirt........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Sounds like a brilliant trip IS10s, great shot (both bullet and photo) of the dogs that have given up the ghost!......would love that on a T-shirt........
    Haha you and me both, but these days it would have to be worn only in the company of the like-minded...

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Haha you and me both, but these days it would have to be worn only in the company of the like-minded...
    Jeeese.....just imagine that.....20 odd (being the 'word') forum members all turn up in one location (bar or road end) all wearing a big 'fuk off' t-shirt with one of their 'headshots' on it.......AWESOME!!!!!!!.....

lets do it....shit.....ive havent done a head shot......well not on an animal!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!