Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By initiaz
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By moonhunt

Thread: Hunting trip - 8th Feb

Hunting trip - 8th Feb

Hi guys. Sorry putting up this report bit late as was caught up.

Date: 8th March, 2014
    Time: 3.30am
    Mood: Excited

The alarm goes on and I jump out of the bed.. Very excited for the planned hunt. Me and my mate David had been planning for the whole week to head out on Saturday for the day hunt.

Plan was that I meet up at his place by 4.30am, park my car and we head out in his forester to our planned spot. I would say David is a very organized hunter and has many of the necessary equipment any hunter should have. As scheduled, I reached Davids place a few min before 4.30ish.. We headed out fairly quickly as we knew it would take us about 2 hrs to reach the intended spot.

We reached the car park around 5ish and with flash lights started making our way through the tracks. Swift breeze was blowing on our face and the feeling of being out there was great. I was overlly excited as it was my new Sako A7 first day out and I was really hoping to get it blooded.

After 1 hr 45mins walk we reached the intended spot along the Tauherenikau river. Sun was still not up fully but we could now walk without flash light. We took a quick break, had a drink, popped the flash light in the back pack and decided to head up the river bank looking for any early signs. Since we were new to the area we though it would be better to glass along for a while before we went in to bush bash.

We spotted a fresh mark on the opposite side and decided to go have a look as it seemed to be the deers foot prints. Fair enough it was. Very fresh. seemed that the deer might have had come for a drink while it was still dark. We followed the tracks and go in the bush. A lot of more fresh signs spotted and a track found. We started following the tracks and were very hopeful that we might spot the deer anytime.

Than things played up a bit and the wind changed dirtections all of a sudden. One moment it is coming from the north and the next moment it starts blowing from the south. Our scent must have travelled at real hig speed as we had sweated alot while on the tracks. The animals seemed to have moved higher up as the sun was out by now.

We decided to move to another spot that we had in mind and spotted fresh signs as well. We waited around the spot for a while to see if there was any movement. We also found what looked like a wallow but not sure if it really was. Marked it anyways to have a look there again soon.

We did a fare bit of bush bashing and than decided to call it a day as the wind was really farking it out..

We started walking back at around 2pm towards the car park where we started. Met a fellow hunter who had been in there for 4 days. The first few days of his were just spent at the camp as weather was not very promising. He was just in there in preparation for the upcoming roar. He said that he had smelled a stag close by when out that morning and had also seen a lot of fresh signs.

On our way back we met two other hunters who were heading down towards where we were back from. The Smiths creek area seems to be getting a lot of trampers and hunters this days and theerfore the animals down there are very cunning; thats what I learnt that day.

"It was fair enough that we didnt get any animal in there because it was our very first trip in there. there are fellow hunters who have weared out their arses to find animals in there so am happy to have atleast seen the signs on my first trip"

This was a self motivational quote I made for myself to get me in back there this weekend.. lol

All in all out the GPS read 18km when we reached back to where our car was parked.

Attachment 21464

Attachment 21465
    veitnamcam and David like this.

Starting to get the hang of it now which is good. Easier with someone to hold you hand and show the ropes. Makes learning fun. Won't be long and you will be spooking animal or even getting the jump on one and popping your cherry
    initiaz likes this.

I've been in there along the Tauherenikau River valley for a weekend hunt and saw a fair bit of sign but you're right, the deer in there are quite cunning...

Nice write up Initiaz, know that feeling very well, still waiting to pop my cherry.....soon, i hope....keep it going mate, you'll get there!!!!!
    initiaz likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Nice write up Initiaz, know that feeling very well, still waiting to pop my cherry.....soon, i hope....keep it going mate, you'll get there!!!!!
    thanks mate.. sure will get there soon..

any pics of the wallow?

We are going to get a report soon with a deer pic I reckon, keep it up
    initiaz likes this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Lost For Time
    Good stuff, keep at it !
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !