Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Its still pre-roar

Its still pre-roar

3 of us spent 4 days last week chasing wallaby (we shot 242). It took a few days to recover from that but yesterday I trooped off up north for a hunt and especially to hear some roaring stags.

I had shot a stag a few days before the wallaby hunt and he wasn't rutted up which I was surprised by. He was a really odd looking little 11 pointer. Craig and I were stalking down a scrubby ridge towards a stag we had seen when I glanced into the creek and spotted a splash of red. I hauled Craig back (Dad's can do that) and he set up his camera while I found somewhere to shoot from-neither of us could find a decent spot but I at least wasn't shaking as much as the camera man (see the vid). I was using my little 7-08 and the 140 SST did a reasonable job, but I must stop lung shooting them (its a habit from using the .223).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uif3vAMgOLY

Name:  IMG_4476.jpeg
Views: 505
Size:  1.75 MB

Name:  IMG_4480.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  1.69 MB

Looking down the creek I shot him in (on my way out with the load).

Name:  IMG_4492.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  981.3 KB

So as mentioned last night I was back in the same area, having recovered from the wallaby trip. Tilly was indicating strongly into a gully so we dropped down for a better look and soon 3 stags appeared. All feeding together and playing nicely.

Name:  IMG_2299.jpeg
Views: 620
Size:  6.22 MB

They were all 8 pointers so I selected the smallest one at 187 yards and lung shot (again) him with the 7-08. There was no sign of a hit but I was confident so I waited 20 mins before I worked my way around to where they disappeared. There was no blood in the immediate area but Tilly wanted to take me across a creek so I followed her and after 100 yard there he was. Quite dead. Good lung shot.

Name:  IMG_4564.jpeg
Views: 497
Size:  1.71 MB

Name:  IMG_4568 2.jpeg
Views: 493
Size:  1.82 MB

I took my time boning him out because it was only 6pm, and relaxed while the meat cooled.

Name:  IMG_4578.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  1.50 MB

I stayed out until dark and didn't hear any roars, and going by how the stags are behaving it looks like the roar in the Nth Wairarapa is a wee way off yet. Im picking at least a week. About then I will be back.

awesome photos and write up as usual ,
    Tahr and tetawa like this.

Good to see
    Tahr likes this.

Nice going Bruce, nephew just got back from Ruahines , got onto a couple roaring well, shot a nice 10 pointer that walked out onto a slip after he gave a roar.
    Tahr, GWH, Dorkus and 2 others like this.

@Tahr, well done, now I’m sure I’ve asked this before but can’t remember, what do you use for writing/doing your drops on the stock (Pen/tape)

I’m off Sat and can’t wait, feel like a kid at Xmas after missing last year.
    Tahr and Trout like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Tahr, well done, now I’m sure I’ve asked this before but can’t remember, what do you use for writing/doing your drops on the stock (Pen/tape)

I’m off Sat and can’t wait, feel like a kid at Xmas after missing last year.
    @outdoorlad I use a strip of duct tape and write onto that with a fine permanent marker, and then put packing sellotape (its a little wider than duct tape) over that. I extend the sellotape longer on both ends than the duct tape by about an inch.

That's a pretty looking animal at the back from 1.50 on - thanks for the video.

It's pre roar up the Urchin currently too, I walked over it yesterday afternoon and nothing other than a few Sika whistling down in the gullies.
    Tahr likes this.

Nice one
    Tahr likes this.

Huk
    Nice one, those wallabys sound like fun
    Tahr likes this.

Been going well for at least a week in Nelson going by all the messenger and txts I have had from mates and family.
    But then we have had an exceptional feed year since last roar, wet mild winter, wet warm spring and just wet enough mild summer with only a couple of weeks plus 30deg.
    Typically there is a bit of a late second roar of sorts in one of my spots as the odd late cycling hinds come on.
    Hopefully I can get out for that.
    Tahr likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ned
    Nice write up. Again Interested in why you remonstrate yourself for lung shooting with the SST? I'm currently using factory loaded interbonds (superformance) but now discontinued so about to stock up on SST for my 308. Currently the 165gr groups better than the 150gr so hoping that the slightly lower velocity will work with the SST projectile. Sorry for hijacking your thread

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Nice write up. Again Interested in why you remonstrate yourself for lung shooting with the SST? I'm currently using factory loaded interbonds (superformance) but now discontinued so about to stock up on SST for my 308. Currently the 165gr groups better than the 150gr so hoping that the slightly lower velocity will work with the SST projectile. Sorry for hijacking your thread

@Ned No problem. I think a higher more central shoulder shot would stop these big bodied stags quicker. With any bullet really.
    But nothing wrong with the SST.

This was the inside of the shoulder (entry side) on last nights stag. And it went through and exited. So it was well terminal.

Name:  IMG_4576.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  3.79 MB
    Last edited by Tahr; 25-03-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Ned
    Cheers thats helpful. Thanks.

Tahr likes this.

Great write up and pics as always Tahr . Those wallaby hunts sound like fun but something I have never had an opportunity to do .
    Off to hanmer myself tomorrow for hopefully 4 days in the hills with a mate so all going well I might even have a story to tell myself for a change....fingers crossed eh...
    Tahr, veitnamcam and davetapson like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Great write up and pics as always Tahr . Those wallaby hunts sound like fun but something I have never had an opportunity to do .
    Off to hanmer myself tomorrow for hopefully 4 days in the hills with a mate so all going well I might even have a story to tell myself for a change....fingers crossed eh...
    Wasn't much roaring on Monday just a few croaks, mate shot a big bodied 9 pointer Monday night over the back.
    Tahr likes this.