Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Joined the pop gun club...223 takes its first animals bush stalking

Joined the pop gun club...223 takes its first animals bush stalking

Most people know im a 243 man, thats my go to rifle all day long, esp bush stalking. Quite awhile ago i added a 308 for longer range areas and as a back up rifle for a change now and again etc.
    Just recently i bought a 223 of the forum, this Howa 1500 with a suppressor and a throw away cheap guncity scope.

Name:  DSCF1061.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  489.7 KB

I decided i join the 223 club for areas where theres more goats, fallow and i will use it on Reds as well in certain areas.
    In a couple of days a Leupold VX1 scope will arrive(from forum again) which i put on it and that do for a nice cheap set up.

After sighting it in a couple weeks ago with that crap scope that wouldnt track we managed to get it shooting not a bad 5 shot group at 100yards that should be good to go while i wait for the leupold to arrive.
    Today, thought as its abit heavy than i like, i take it for a walk and see how i like it and check out a area i hunted pigs 25 years ago to see whats in there.

Didnt get up early, left about 6am from home and went up the perlous where i knew there be goats at least in that jungle and a place 25 years ago plus we did alright on pigs.

Had to cross the river, bit deeper than i remember and into the bush.

Name:  DSCF1063.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  536.9 KB

Well, nearly was another of these hunts of mine laterly and home early as only went 50 yards and two pigs i disturbed 10 yards in front of me in real thick crap moved off.
    Nearly got to shoot a pig around 50lb but the scrub was just a little to thick for the shot so they were lucky pigs.

Still, good to see pigs here still and if bought my mate with his dogs we would of got one ok. Carried on , but knew my best hope was a goat or a unlucky deer as the bush was typical sounds like,
    thick fern, manuka, gorse see about 30 yards etc.

Found some fallow sign not too old and more freshish pig rooting further back and the odd mark here and there and some old goat sign.

Got used to carriying the 223, so didnt think it was too bad and was quite enjoying the walk in the scrub as some areas opened up and was a pleasant day.

Name:  DSCF1062.JPG
Views: 772
Size:  530.1 KB

Started the walk back to the river and saw some legs ahead in the scrub. Was hoping it was a deer but it ended up a youngish billy looking at me.

Any animal in here bush stalking was a win, and here was the prime chance to shoot the first with the 223.
    Didnt try any fancy shot, esp with this scope, just centred it on the middle of its chest as was facing me and squeezed of.

POP... no BOOM, felt like i took a pop gun to a gunfight haha. The goat turned and bolted and i was thinking fuck, not like the mighty 243, how far is this going to run lol.

Should of had faith in the 55gr softpoint as found the goat dead only 20 yards from where it was standing and wasnt smelly and looked in good nick so goat curry is on the menu.

Name:  DSCF1059.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  567.4 KB

Took the meat and carried on out and low down saw some more movement and another goat shows itself. Tried a neck shot this time and POP and down it goes.

Not bad for a look with the new addition. Two shots, two animals, got a feed and when i put the better scope on it we see if i can knock over a deer in the bush next.

Still, feel under powered with this pop gun but clearly it works so it be a toss up between the three cals and areas which one comes but its never replacing the mighty 243 but happy days

Cheers

Good stuff, its plenty for goats ay.
    deer243 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good stuff! Glad you got it out in the bush. That's two more animals than I shot with it....
    deer243 likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Nice story. That river looks perfect for a swim!

Do hunters generally use ear pro, or does that get in the way of stalking?

Good shooting. It’s a great caliber till you don’t hit the animal quite right. Then it becomes fun trying to tidy up the mess. 243 owns it.
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    Do hunters generally use ear pro, or does that get in the way of stalking?
    If there is time.
    Some bush stalkers use electronic muffs as it is like having bionic hearing, I have some but find them to hot and sweaty to have them on all the time in the bush.
    Open country hunting I generally use earplugs as there is usually time to put them in before a shot.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

57JL
    don,t worry about the 223 killing power works well. I use to think the same but as long as the engine room or the neck is targeted out to 200m deer will die for sure the 55gr soft point works well
    deer243 and A330driver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    Nice story. That river looks perfect for a swim!
    It was as clear as ive seen it. It be perfect, some deep pools, seems not many go there but further down where its a popular place and looked full when drove past. Was pretty hot by lunch

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    It's not the size it's how you use it...

.223 Is a well capable cartridge. Certainly there are instances where it's "not enough gun" but there are plenty more instances where there's "not enough hunter," regardless of calibre.

Thats a fair hefty can though. Is it really necessary?
    Its a over barrel one thou and it came with the rifle. works well I dont use a can on my other two but i keep this as is. Its certainly on the heavy side, seems howas weight abit .
    Its ok thou, used to carrying such things around, my 308 is 24 inch and its not a issue in the native i normally hunt .

I sold the rifle to deer243 I can say the suppressor is long (looks very much like a gun works copy to.me) but pretty light. Lighter than my hardy gen IV. The weight is in the rifle it self. Has a solid barrel and action. Certainly not a varmint rifle but not a modern lightweight either.
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.

Might want to get the barrel chopped back so the suppressor is just about touching the stock, will make it more handy in the rough and won't lose much in velocity.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Might want to get the barrel chopped back so the suppressor is just about touching the stock, will make it more handy in the rough and won't lose much in velocity.
    My thoughts exactly

i could be it doesnt worry me that much. I try hunt open native, always carrying the rifle as a deer could be just inside the bush so always never really carrying it over my back.
    My 308 is 24 inch, my 243 is 22 and i find both those no problem at all in the bush. Even taking the 223 in thicker stuff it didnt really bother me or got caught up so i leave it as is.
    Only going use it in certain areas so wont be used that much cpmpared to the 243 then the 308
    Dama dama likes this.

Great story you inspired me to get out and bush stalk a bit vey dry and noisy but I got my goat.
    deer243 likes this.