Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kawekas Late April

Kawekas Late April

Late April saw me flying to Auckland to meet a mate before we drove south to the Kawekas. Even though Ive been a South Islander for 6 years now I still try to get back annually for a crack at the Sika. Im a Hawkes Bay boy originally and have a very soft spot for the local Ranges there. As they say though some of the best laid out plans never pan out. This was certainly the case for us in 2013.

We had the normal uneventful flight in from Puketitiri with EKH. Getting dropped off late morning we set up camp and went out for an afternoon walk. The wind came up and it was a cold southerley . Nothing was heard roaring until right on dark. Despite glassing all the usual haunts and doing things right it was just too cold for any deer to bother getting out of bed.

During the night the weather let go and this was the view for the next 4 days

Thats right . Mist and constant heavy rain. Endless cups of tea . Endless games of Euchre. Endless smack talk. Eating for the sake of eating. Reading and when the novel ran out complete boredom. I did head out for couple of sneaky Recce's to break up the monotony but got nothing but cold and wet. 2 men in a bivvy for days on end is not much chop.

On the fourth morning I said to me mate "fuck this im walking to Manson hut for a change of scenery". "Lets pack up and fuck off" was the reply. Guess what no sooner had we broken out of the bush at lunchtime theweather gods decided that it was time for some much needed sun.

Those in the know can predict exactly what sika deer do after days of endless rain . Time to dry out and eat. Strolling along the tops casually throwing the leicas around I spied the unmistakable white rump of a sika hind.Deer down there I said to me mate. Further inspection revealed 5 deer grazing out in the open scrub at 1pm in the afternnon.All thoughts of roaring stags went out the window after days of confinement.
    794 yds. A bit far for the7mm08 to be sure. Dropping ourpacks and grabbing the essentials we got down out of sight behind a ridge and got closer.Poking our heads over the knob they were still there sunning it up at 440 yds.
    To get closer would have meant sidling across a herb face in direct view of the deer. My .308 shooting cobber seemed a bit disbeleiving when I said this will do us. "what from here?". "yep, Pass me your bipod please?"
    I screwed in the bipod and got a rock steady rest.Reconfirming the range at 440yds I dialled the correct elevation onto the Leupold.Chambering a round I passed my binos to me mate and informed him to watch proceedings closely.

I steadied myself and got my breathing right.Slowly the hind started turning until she was basically side on. I squeezed the trigger of the TIKKA T3 7MM08 until it broke. Whack a good hit came drifting back. She was unsteady on her feet. Down she went. ANother victim of the nosler 140 gn BT. An exceptional killing bullet in my opinion. I chambered another round and shot the yearling too. By this time 2 other deer were crashing away up the face towards the safety of cover. Still another yearling stood there looking around not unsure of exactly what was going on. I got my mate behind the rifle and took over spotting duty.
    Long story short - 7 shots later the deer was still standing unscathed before it set sail for safer pastures. I only took twelve rounds for the trip so only had 3 left !!!After that myself and a red faced mate went over for a look.Unbelivably a 100 yds from our destination a deer stood googling at us from the bush edge. "Right sit down take your time and shoot the fucking thing"I said. He lined it up, Or didnt as the case was with his .308. 3 shots later that dissappeared too. I guess sometimes it just aint your day.After that nothing needed to be said

The other deer turned out to be a wee spiker

This was first blood for the wheeler knife and what a joy to use

Getting all the meat we could we headed back up to the ridge and carried on around to Manson hut where we spent the night. Always a good place to kip. Good comany to with two older hunters Warren and Bill to entertain us well into the evening. Good bastards. I hope im still in the hills in my 70's.

I dont know why we didnt hang the meat for our return trip but none the less it came for a ride to manson hut and left with us again early the next morning.

On the way back up to manson rock we dropped our packs and I showed my mate a little spot that produces well. We sat there in the morning chill glassing."Nothing here lets carry on?" . " Just wait until the sun hits the face"I insisted.
    Sure enough moments after the sun hit a deer came wandering out from behind the scrub. 330 yds , Whammmo . More weight in the pack.

By the time we reached our packs again in was a stinking hot day

Now with some real weight onboard it became a trudge. We were due to be picked up Sunday morning . I phoned Chris at the top to get the weather forecast. Just as well because the decision was made if we didnt get out that afternoon we would be stuck there til Wednesday with the forecast rain and crap. As I had to get the bomber from Auckland and meet my boy on Sunday night the decision was easy. 3pm pick up at the Bivvy. As it was Pete only Just got to us after 4 attempts in the cloud and clag. That saying four seasons in one day certainly applies to the NZ high country.
    So to summ it up another Sika trip with no bone but plenty of meat and good times...
    DAF, Steve338, hillclima and 7 others like this.

Nice report and pics and great shooting By you

Good trip. Cheers for the write up!

Well done, thanks for sharing

I love that place! Might have to wander back there soon, I've turned up at the hut before with Warren and Bill there after walking in and they cooked me dinner the whole time I was there, good bastards
    Nathan F likes this.

GWH
    Enjoyed that report and pics, go the 7mm-08!
    Nathan F and 7mmsaum like this.

Bloody good read and photos thanks for sharing.
    Nathan F likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Mean write up

:thumbup:

Enjoyed reading that, cheers well done

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good stuff!

good pics dude...on ya for a good trip

Caretaker
    Great pics and writeup.
    Nathan F likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Nice one Nathan, great report. I would love to get back in there again soon!
    Nathan F likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve338 View Post
    Nice one Nathan, great report. I would love to get back in there again soon!
    I'm always keen for a walk

Choice write up Nathan

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 2
    Nathan F likes this.