Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Last few weeks in three vids

Last few weeks in three vids

Hey guys.

Haven’t had a chance to sort photos and put pen to paper, but have thrown some footage together of the last handful of trips, preroar and during the roar....which still isn’t over....roared a stag in this morning while chasing fallow

Grab a cuppa or a beer and have a watch if you like.

Hope they’re not too repetitive, didn’t put as much time into grabbing footage while on the hill as I previously have done.

https://youtu.be/evbG1Dq7ADA

https://youtu.be/7BzM_wskYlc

https://youtu.be/kDqTv5QOUl8

Stay safe out there

Cheers
    Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hillclima, Shootm, Tahr and 29 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Nice stuff @JoshC I must admit that I pushed the like button before viewing as I figured I'd not be disappointed
    Couple questions in the first video why that stag? Also was the shot low?
    How's the WARO going to affect you? Is this the last of the golden era for you? I remember how tough it was to get onto animals back in the early 90's hope I'm wrong but it looks as though it's going to effect you quite a lot
    JoshC likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Love that west coast stag.
    I think there might be those pics of broomed over red heads from stewart island in the book "Tracks of a Hunter" by Keith Severinsen
    It a black and white pic with them all lined up on a beach.
    JoshC likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Good stuff. i enjoyed those. i liked the stag with the throwback in the second video i think.
    JoshC likes this.

Just awesome Josh, thanks for sharing.
    JoshC likes this.

Cool videos, some of those younger stags will be looking good in a couple of years.
    JoshC likes this.

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    Loved the vids mate.
    JoshC likes this.

Huk
    Good one Josh great watch thanks
    JoshC likes this.

Mean as

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JoshC likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Love the videos great country you hunt in.
    JoshC likes this.

Three great videos Josh. It’s amazing country down your way alright. I’m in Queenstown at the moment and hope to stretch the legs tomorrow...
    JoshC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Nice stuff @JoshC I must admit that I pushed the like button before viewing as I figured I'd not be disappointed
    Couple questions in the first video why that stag? Also was the shot low?
    How's the WARO going to affect you? Is this the last of the golden era for you? I remember how tough it was to get onto animals back in the early 90's hope I'm wrong but it looks as though it's going to effect you quite a lot
    Haha. Shot was right behind the shoulder, he was on the trot and continued to run about 20m before falling. Dead when I got there.

Why him...I saw him come out of the bush about 20 minutes before dark about 1500m away, got a quick bit of blurry footage and he looked good, he was "mature" and had "lots of points" haha, so I hoofed it over there..biggest blow out I have had for a while! I saw a good 12-14 last year in the same gully and thought (had convinced myself) it was him, so in the heat of the moment I had semi made my mind up already I was going to shoot him.

By the time I got within range it was near on dark and he was standing on the bush edge with a couple of hinds ready to bolt, I'd been careless in my approach due to lack of time. I had maybe 10-20 seconds to settle and decide to shoot...which I did. Due to fading light I still couldn't see what he had on top exactly, so measure on the ground so to speak... In hindsight, and if I had more time, I would have most likely left him for "next year". However, his meat is now in my freezer and the head has been tidied up and will hang in one of my boys bedrooms so all good. Plus it was an epic hunting trip and I take comfort in the fact there are several other younger stags with great potential and most likely the same genetics to carry on breeding.

The areas I hunt do get WARO'd fairly regularly by a Te Anau outfit, always have done. They are also heavily hunted...more hunters in these hills that I have seen before. Deer numbers are certainly higher now than when I first started hunting some of these public land areas down this way. I've been sitting on the hill glassing deer on several occasions when the helicopters have flown in and buzzed the valley. One of my favorite mountain areas down here is due to be aerially 1080'd so I dare say the numbers there will take more of a hit. I won't lose any sleep over it.

I have been hunting public land on the West Coast, Canterbury and Otago for 15-20 years...with Dad and then by myself, and have always managed to see or find deer...obviously sometimes more difficult than others. Every time I have hunted a Haast roar block I have seen 15-30 deer on a trip...that's even after the guys that have come out before me have said its a waste of time and there's no roaring or deer about (exactly that happened this year before we flew in...)

And yep, that old WC stag is a cool beast. Really stoked with him. Boiled him out and cleaned up the skull last night. Fair to say he's probably avoided a few hunters and choppers in his time.
    Sideshow likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Three great videos Josh. It’s amazing country down your way alright. I’m in Queenstown at the moment and hope to stretch the legs tomorrow...
    Cool. You know where you are headed? Chance there'll still be a stag roaring, I heard two on Saturday. Fallow are croaking.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Haha. Shot was right behind the shoulder, he was on the trot and continued to run about 20m before falling. Dead when I got there.

Why him...I saw him come out of the bush about 20 minutes before dark about 1500m away, got a quick bit of blurry footage and he looked good, he was "mature" and had "lots of points" haha, so I hoofed it over there..biggest blow out I have had for a while! I saw a good 12-14 last year in the same gully and thought (had convinced myself) it was him, so in the heat of the moment I had semi made my mind up already I was going to shoot him.

By the time I got within range it was near on dark and he was standing on the bush edge with a couple of hinds ready to bolt, I'd been careless in my approach due to lack of time. I had maybe 10-20 seconds to settle and decide to shoot...which I did. Due to fading light I still couldn't see what he had on top exactly, so measure on the ground so to speak... In hindsight, and if I had more time, I would have most likely left him for "next year". However, his meat is now in my freezer and the head has been tidied up and will hang in one of my boys bedrooms so all good. Plus it was an epic hunting trip and I take comfort in the fact there are several other younger stags with great potential and most likely the same genetics to carry on breeding.

The areas I hunt do get WARO'd fairly regularly by a Te Anau outfit, always have done. They are also heavily hunted...more hunters in these hills that I have seen before. Deer numbers are certainly higher now than when I first started hunting some of these public land areas down this way. I've been sitting on the hill glassing deer on several occasions when the helicopters have flown in and buzzed the valley. One of my favorite mountain areas down here is due to be aerially 1080'd so I dare say the numbers there will take more of a hit. I won't lose any sleep over it.

I have been hunting public land on the West Coast, Canterbury and Otago for 15-20 years...with Dad and then by myself, and have always managed to see or find deer...obviously sometimes more difficult than others. Every time I have hunted a Haast roar block I have seen 15-30 deer on a trip...that's even after the guys that have come out before me have said its a waste of time and there's no roaring or deer about (exactly that happened this year before we flew in...)

And yep, that old WC stag is a cool beast. Really stoked with him. Boiled him out and cleaned up the skull last night. Fair to say he's probably avoided a few hunters and choppers in his time.
    Was that @R93

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Good stuff. i enjoyed those. i liked the stag with the throwback in the second video i think.
    Cheers, yeah he's old. Have seen him for the last three years, maybe four. He's gone backwards, but would be a great character trophy. He lives in quite a small catchment and I see him almost every time I go looking, I am surprised no one else has found him or shot him, but he is pretty cautious. I have a good mate who is keen to shoot him, he saw him three years ago and missed out.