Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Last Hunt for 2016

Last Hunt for 2016

With the last day of the year falling on a Saturday my Brother in law, Kevin and I planned to check the trail Camera's after a morning hunt. With daylight around 5 I left home at 4.15am then it was on up to the forest.
    I dropped Kevin off on one of his favorite roads which has been good to us for the last year or so. Both of us were hoping to cap of a good year with a deer each.
    I went to another road for a looksee but not much was doing so I went to another area that had looked promising. After parking the truck I headed up an old logging road to a spot that usually had a bit of sign around. The block is open pine with good visibility so I was taking it easy just in case.
    An old skid set back off the road I was on looked good so I cut in towards it, straight away deer sign showed so I was even more hopeful. I had only gone a 100 odd meters when a ginger shape showed up on the face above the skid, a quick look through the scope showed a nice spiker looking at me about 70 yards away. The spiker never new what hit him so I had my deer for the last day of the year, choice.
    I gutted him and dragged him back to the track then got the truck and loaded him on board before heading of to pick up Kevin.
    When I reach his road I started up but had a feeling he must have got onto some animals as he wasn't on the lower end of the road, usually after 21/2 hours you are finished your hunt. I drove over half the way up before I found him with the tell tale signs of blood on his legs.
    As it turned out on the first track out onto a clear cut that he check he bumped into 3 deer of which he shot a good sized hind, the deer he shot had dropped down into a block of big pine but after a short tracking job he found blood and soon after the deer.
    It was easier for us to drag the deer out through the pine block to the road for pick up. After photo's we headed off to check Wallow Cam before heading home. When we checked the card from the camera we had a nice Sambar stag on it still with antlers, this was the second time we have got this particular stag on film and two weekends in a row.
    So 2016 ended as we had hoped with a deer each I hope everyone else had a successful end to the year as well.Name:  Kevin's Hind off Mangone Rd 31st Dec 2016.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  1.03 MBName:  Kevin,Buzin and deer.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1,003.8 KBName:  Spiker shot on Old Waihou 31st Dec 2016.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  803.1 KBPhoto's 1 Kevin with hind, 2 Kevin with both deer 3 Me with my spiker.
    Philipo, hillclima, Tahr and 6 others like this.

Good stuff