Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 17 Post By Nathan F
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 2 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Kudu

Thread: Lowa shoe report

Lowa shoe report

I mentioned in the gear section that I’d brought a pair of these as a lightweight alternative to the good old Meindl island pros.
    https://lowa.co.nz/products/copy-of-...31627251122291

My only criticism of my meindls is the weight when they are wet. That aside I’ve worn out 4 pairs and had one re-soled. I was recommended these Lowa’s by shoe clinic as a lightweight alternative that would still support me carrying a load.

The dog and I headed off yesterday with the intention of being away 2 nights. We were exploring a new area on doc land. It was a reasonable walk in to where we camped. 13.5 kms with some up and down and river travel. We hunted down 4 kms south of camp last night. Ruby got a scalding as the first two deer we saw got growled at , Barked at and chased back into the scrub.
    That out of the way I spied another 3 deer in the fading light. We stalked into about 60 yds and I dropped the hind. 2 other deer previously unseen were heading for cover at warp speed. Then I noticed the fawn standing there not knowing what to do. That got a bullet too. Doing my bit for the department of conservation and animal numbers I guess.
    Name:  1950219A-BEEF-445E-BFA2-DBA845F590EA.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  444.9 KB
    Once we’d dealt with the hind we found the fawn. It had such a neat skin I took it for my boy and will get it tanned.
    Name:  93709F60-2EB7-425B-83FD-3502C837F477.jpeg
Views: 506
Size:  543.7 KB
    So with a load on board the sleeping bag was a welcome sight at midnight. I didn’t weigh my pack when I got home today but I’d say around 35 kgs. It took four hours out. I didn’t feel unstable once.I should have taken my boots as I got a few blisters. I stupidly just took them out of the box and went hunting without breaking them in. They are a stiff shoe but very comfortable. 27 km round trip from car to camp plus the hunt. $350 well spent. Would t take them Tahr hunting but fine for most short trips. And they dry quickly.
    Name:  799CB907-F793-4120-9270-66FE0302B0D1.jpeg
Views: 520
Size:  449.3 KB

Good hunt,enjoy yr veni.Those shoes could be a few inchs higher for wet grass maybe.Be light to walk in tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Good hunt,enjoy yr veni.Those shoes could be a few inchs higher for wet grass maybe.Be light to walk in tho.
    Yeah they are a heap lighter than the old meindls when wet. They are goretex do waterproof in grass etc with gaiters. The big plus for me is they don’t take as long to dry and don’t weigh a ton when wet.
    Yes I’ve given most of the venison away. The freezers overflowing and I’ve got two heifers to kill end of March
    Trout likes this.

Light weight shoes are all the go for long distance hikers.
    Nathan F and Sika stag like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Interesting to see a Marine navigation savvy Lab! Showing the correct lights for paddling in the briny
    Nathan F and Pengy like this.

Nice one! I’ve got a bit of a wobbly left ankle so like them to be tied in when in the hills but they look like a cool option alright. I’m just moving onto my second pair of island pros. I too would say my only criticism is the weight, awesome boots.
    Nathan F likes this.

I must admit that I have used a decent pair of leather boots for the last decade or so...not because I have to, but mainly because thats what i was told that you needed. But I would love to know the amount of years I spent hunting in a pair of Bullers!....Never had an issue with them, and I carried more then than I do now!
    Nathan F likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I must admit that I have used a decent pair of leather boots for the last decade or so...not because I have to, but mainly because thats what i was told that you needed. But I would love to know the amount of years I spent hunting in a pair of Bullers!....Never had an issue with them, and I carried more then than I do now!
    Take a look here
    Most of these guys likewise (myself included)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/75480509686/

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Yeah as a young fella bullers we’re all I ever used in the north island.