Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Maintaining Relationships

Maintaining Relationships

Nope not marriage advice.

Recently got talking to an older chap who I've known for a sometime while I was cooking the bbq at my son's school, and I know he has a farm which backs onto the kaimais and he doesn't let anyone up there so I eased the subject of venison steaks into the conversation. He said "no one ever offers me any". So a bit more chit chat and then I casually threw it out there did he want me to shoot one for him no strings attached I'd arrange the butcher etc. He duly replied with sure that would be great.

Bout a week later and I rung to see if he was still keen and we arranged a meet up and tour of the farm, I took along a salami as a show of good faith. His wife was also keen to see an end to the hares as they'd dealt to her new hedge. Got the sharemilkers number to check the stock situation when I went up later in the week.

First morning I went up there was a misunderstanding with the sharemilker and he wasn't to happy when I turned up after I spent the morning looking for deer then denting the hare population on the way back. Kept my cool as I was pretty close to giving it straight back but accepted he may not have understood what I'd said. Just didn't like his delivery but swallowed it anyway.

After getting the no go due to stock a couple of times I made it up there but lost a deer despite searching in the dark including coming back the next morning to search again with no joy. Was feeling pretty shit and then had a lecture from the non hunting sharemilker. WOW that was hard to take. But I swallowed it anyway. Went to the owner and filled him in to keep him in the loop and he was understandable. Promised I'd get him one before Christmas.

Fast forward to a couple of nights ago and I went up just before dark and could here a couple crashing around on a face above me but decided to shoot down to the back corner where he'd said they've been in the past, right on dark I was almost to the back paddock and I could hear something moving around to my right on the edge of the native with patchy blackberry in front. Stopped to wait and listen, now this is where I went wrong because I was standing sideways looking over my shoulder with my gun at my waist, sure enough a deer walks past a gap stops 5m away, if I move to shoot it will bolt. So we stand off for about 5 seconds and then it bolts with a hell of a racket. Runs straight up the bushline with another one hot up its arse. First one cuts into the bush then the 2nd stops for that final glance to see what I was and give me 1 last chance at glory and I duly obliged with a 130g interlock. It did 2 circles on the spot then fell over. A win for the 270 gang
    Name:  Snapchat-2123661741.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  344.7 KB

Luckily I had my paracord in the bag as I must have cut through the foreleg a bit thin and snapped the hide soon as I stood up to carry it home. Gave it a boy scout knot and was good to go again.

ATTACH]156733[/ATTACH]

Had the pleasure of ringing the owner and giving him the good news and arrange the cuts. He was pretty bloody happy. Said to make sure I get some too. Told him to give me a call when he needs another one. I think I can expect a call soon.

I think its important to build the relationship and then maintain it, even if you have to eat a shit sandwich along the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good result in the end mate. Good write up cheers

Yeah that's the way mate. There's gotta be give and take in any relationship.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Ryan likes this.

Can be damn hard holding your tongue and pride but often will give you the better outcome. Good stuff
    Micky Duck likes this.

Fulla
    farm hands can be like that especially if they or someone they know hunts there. but I believe the land owner can do as he pleases, all be it letting the worker know for saftey etc.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    farm hands can be like that especially if they or someone they know hunts there. but I believe the land owner can do as he pleases, all be it letting the worker know for saftey etc.
    Bit of a difference between a farm hand a sharemilker. The sharemilker is running HIS business on the property so people coming and going have a direct affect on him. Most sharemilking/managers contracts will have a section about rights of access as at the end of the day its them that are most likely to take the rap for anything that happens on the property. In this case I would assume that the farm owner had run it past the sharemilker before granting access. I'm a bit miffed to be honest about the part where the op says that he had been out looking for a deer and then shooting hares etc and the sharemilker wasn't even notified that he was there.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Over the years l have found one of the great benefits of making your own Sausages ,Salami etc is it is a great gift to give to farmers etc as a show of appreciation & ice breaker .Good one mate

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Bit of a difference between a farm hand a sharemilker. The sharemilker is running HIS business on the property so people coming and going have a direct affect on him. Most sharemilking/managers contracts will have a section about rights of access as at the end of the day its them that are most likely to take the rap for anything that happens on the property. In this case I would assume that the farm owner had run it past the sharemilker before granting access. I'm a bit miffed to be honest about the part where the op says that he had been out looking for a deer and then shooting hares etc and the sharemilker wasn't even notified that he was there.
    He knew I was there @Ryan_Songhurst the misunderstanding was where I was going to be. Yep the owner had told him to expect my call and My first contact is always the sharemilker not the owner
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Good shot placement in the circumstances, what projectile ?

Well done with the farm owner,maybe give the share milker a couple of packets of saugages too.He might learn to appreciate you being there better too.
    charliehorse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Good shot placement in the circumstances, what projectile ?
    Yeah didn't want it getting away, in terms of meat recovery a neck shot would have been better but given the failing light I just wanted it on the ground. Just using factory Hornady Whitetail. Had the intention of reloading for my 270(have all the gear) but I don't know if I get through enough with it and it's not suppressed so wouldn't exactly say it's a delight to shoot. When the money tree is flush I'll knock a couple inches off and throw a can on and start playing with some loads.
    308 and Moa Hunter like this.

A wise man once told me “You catch more flies with honey than vinegar”

Dunno why he wanted to catch flies but...
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Good stuff Charliehorse!

keep the relationship sweet....MAYBE make point of sending Christmas good cheer to sharemilker tomorrow..... it cant hurt.
    Ned likes this.

what i was thinking Trout. good work all round charliehorse.