Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: A major goal achieved - first deer!

A major goal achieved - first deer!

Since I've come back to hunting in my forties, I've reminisced a lot about my early adventures. I really got interested in hunting when my family moved to a rural area to run the local country garage. Dad got me an air rifle to use in the back yard and away I went. Didn't take me long to find a few rabbits living under the old house on the neighbours farm. Eventually I got within range of one and dropped it with a sweet head shot. I really need to find the photo of that day !

As a prodigious reader during all of my childhood, any hunting books I could get my hands on were devoured. So many stories, a few pictures of course, but nothing like we have available now thanks to the internet. Going to the book shop regularly to see if the latest Rod & Rifle or Sporting Shooter had arrived. Once I could drive (at 15!!!) I set about getting out to the local Deerstalkers club and other shooting ranges as much as I could. Shoot anything and everything that the kind and helpful members would let an enthusiastic kid have a go with.

Next step was getting my Firearms Licence. Once this was sorted a second-hand Sako AII 308 was all mine. Happy days Many trips to the Hapuakohe Ranges resulted in a whole pile of goats getting thinned out. But it all seemed like practice for ‘the real thing’ – deer stalking! A couple of trips to Pureora and the Kaimanawas only served to reinforce that this deer stalking business needed a lot more cunning and effort. At the time deer numbers weren’t like they are now – simply seeing animals was a successful trip, let alone shooting one!

Fast forward many years and I realise that I’m over 40 and there’s still a significant itch to scratch. I buy a couple of hunting magazines. I now live in Christchurch. The South Island. An almost mythical place I read so much about in my early teens. I saw my first wild deer in the Caples Valley on a tramping trip. I’ve even been through Molesworth Station – on a mountainbiking expedition – and now realise it’s a mecca for hunting. Didn’t even occur to me at the time…

Name:  Molesworth early morning - resized.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  904.0 KB

So in recent months I’ve been on a few trips with my hunting mate specifically looking for deer. Found them too. Couldn’t get myself sorted quickly to get comfortable to pull the trigger on the first yearling red I saw. As is the norm my mate had it all worked out, so I encouraged him to shoot. Boom, first deer for him. To say he was stoked is an understatement. As a recent import from Blighty, this sort of adventure is exactly why he moved here. I was really happy for him too.

Next trip we headed south instead. Went looking in an area where we might see red or fallow deer and even tahr. After a stupidly early start and a decent walk we got onto some fallow in the early light. The animals were onto us and we had to get a shot away or they would be gone. My friend fired first as I was just getting the scope on to the animal. The deer kept on moving across the hill in front of us. I was tracking them, ready for an opportunity. They stop, I rush the shot and I put the shot just over the deer’s back. Bugger. First ever shot at a deer and I fluffed it.

Fast forward again – my mate has secured us a block in Molesworth for a week in February. We get there on Wednesday afternoon after a slow start and go for an evening wander. As the sun drops lower we spot a hind and its fawn in the distance. We spend an hour or so observing it and filming it. Magic. Another goal achieved – observe wild deer who are unaware of our presence.

Name:  Glassing - Molesworth- resized.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  1.02 MB

There were so many things that happened on this trip that it really deserves its own story. The main point of this post is that it all came good on Sunday morning. Deer spotted in a great location, wind is in our favour. We're 460 metres out but we can duck over the back side of the ridge and get closer out of sight. Get settled in behind the rifle, deer is still unaware. Shot is 314 metres. The deer decides to sit down in the sun facing our direction. He turns his head and stretches out - I shift my aim to base of the neck and the shot is away. A resounding thwock comes back to us on the ridge and the deer hasn't moved. I've done it at last!!!!

Name:  molesworth - first deer - resized.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  1.36 MB

While I'm looking through the scope to make sure the deer is down for good, his mate appears out of the scrub on the left. He offers a nice shot so I take it. Another resounding thwock, but this one takes a few steps forwards, drops his head then backs up. Just as I think I'm going to need another round he takes a few steps forwards and tumbles down the hill. The enormity of it all starts to sink in. I've done it! We have a deer each to carry out of here! Woohoo! Oh shit!

It's fair to say the carry out was very challenging but so satisfying. And now we've really topped up our freezers and can share the harvest with family and friends. On that note it's off to a barbeque where some of this is the main course:

Name:  First deer Bbq - resized.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  848.9 KB
    hillclima, Nathan F, Tahr and 49 others like this.

Good one.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Well done and thanks for posting

I would trim the silver skin off that steak before cooking tho
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good post , Great shot the south Island needs more people like you .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

northdude
    cool youll never forget this

Awesome

Great first deers
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Congratulations! Amazing story. Tough stalking in that open country I'm sure.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well done.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Well done fella
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Good stuff

Awesome mate, well done, you never forget your first
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Well written! Thanks for sharing
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Great stuff mate!
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Awesome write up and great shooting for your first two deer.
    Like mentioned above, you need to cut all the silver skin off the individual muscles, it’s just like filleting a fish. Flip the muscle over and run the knife along the inside of the silver skin.