Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 21 Post By Scott29er
  • 1 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 1 Post By bunji

Thread: Moonlight butchering

Moonlight butchering

Took the chance to do a quick overnighter on Friday, with the intention of hopefully getting 2022 off to a positive start. I've had a few 'getting older' injuries of late, so expectations were fairly low. But the chance to test the legs and have a night in the canterbury bush under a tent fly, would be a nice end to some good days off work.

I arrived on the tops at my intended area quite early, so did some leisurely glassing and enjoyed the early evening sun. Looking down into a likely area I noticed that distinctive reddy/brown colour that seems out of place. Sure enough, a hind and fawn feeding at 7pm in fairly open country. I had decided on the walk-in that I would only take a yearling or spiker on this trip, if the opportunity arose and it was cool watching them for 5 or so minutes. Eventually, a gust of wind from behind me must have wafted down her way as they were soon off at a moderate trot, heading for the heavy bush edge.

It was actually quite a cool evening as the sun dropped towards the horizon and it was noticeable that my breath was misting up and still heading downhill into the likely areas. As it does, things went very calm around 9pm and another deer was spied well down the hill but feeding up a small gully system from the creek well below me. Ah well bugger it, moving quietly down the face I got into a shooting position with my pack balanced on a nice rock... within a few minutes, it appeared again and was broadside. Boom and I could just make out a solid hit, as it was now fairly dim light. The yearling was soon found and I went to work under the moonlight taking out all the great meat.

A grunty walkout had me back at the bivvy around 11 pm where I really noticed the cold- should have taken my warmer sleeping bag! I'd made up my mind to sleep in the following morning as the small pack I'd bought along was only just coping as it was! Back home to ChCh around 10.30am with a McDonalds brekky in my belly and a fridge full of meat that will keep the BBQ, and the boys in our family happy.
    Name:  thumbnail_IMG_2927.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_2930.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  27.3 KB Back steaks cooling under the moon.

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_2933.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  20.3 KB Walking out early on Saturday
    nor-west, madjon_, Trout and 18 others like this.

I thought this was going to be a werewolf story!
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Good results from a quick overnighter, enjoy the meat.

Well done mate. Good stuff.
    When hunting think safety first

@300CALMAN I thought he was going to waiting at the top of a hill & offering cheap Sausages, for cash , from under his Mackintosh coat
    @Scott29er Good one ,you can not shoot them from your couch & a great load of quality Free Range Kai
    300CALMAN likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan