Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: MORNING SPRINTER

MORNING SPRINTER

Tuesday morning went for a 7am hunt along a local river amongst willows trees and grass.Clear skys,no duck shooters around,no breeze at all.Looked in a few small sand pits,amongst willows,found a couple of fresh deer prints,ah something been around here.Walked dead slow n stopndead slow and stop,trying not to make any noise myself.20 minuts later,heard a small branch crack,thump,thump,running about 70yds in front of me a buck.Amoungst a few small willows then out into the river bed,bad mistake.Lined him up,one shot broke his leg,second shot finished him off.Fast little bugger,antlers not great but meat for the freezer.Even with a broken leg,hard to get a accurate kill shot.Name:  20210504_080158.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  3.40 MB
    Last edited by Trout; 05-05-2021 at 07:53 PM.

yes I have this thing about fallow...can shoot reds deader than a dead thing NO TROUBLE...but them peski fallow cause me no end of grief...much to RUMPYs amusement I believe.....just cant seem to get it right with them at all.

Fallow are tougher than they look. Just ask @Padox
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

Thort about grabbing his antlers and wrestling him to ground and cut his throat.Fk that,keeped my distance and got a shot bit back from his sholders when he keeped a bit still.Dangerous little buggers.
    Roarless20 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Fallow are tougher than they look. Just ask @Padox
    5 270 rounds later bugger would still wouldn't die

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    .270....There's your problem right there, better get a .243 and the problems will stop
    Trout, Huk, Strummer and 1 others like this.

And watch them laugh and walk away worst I have seen was 7 rounds from a 243 and it still went bush on him

Banned
    'The biggest part' is not the correct aiming spot !
    Micky Duck likes this.

4 were good solid front shoulder hits and 1 was neck @Joe_90 watched the whole lot unfold we were both shocked from it
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    'The biggest part' is not the correct aiming spot !
    Normally I'd agree with you.
    A couple of weeks ago a young fella shot a fallow buck, good hit just behind the front shoulder. The animal dropped and slid into a wee gut and ended up in some scrub. I slid down after it and could hear it still alive, I put another round into it from about 5 meters. Went through both lungs. It still took about a minute of trying to breath before it expired. On postmortem both shots where well placed, the SST projectiles did the job and exited with a good wound pattern.

Compared to shooting reds with the same load and similar distances, my conclusions are fallow bucks in croak are tough wee animals. I'll continue with collecting more data over time as the season and freezer requires
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

4 were good solid front shoulder hits and 1 was neck @Joe_90 watched the whole lot unfold we were both shocked from it
    Had something similar happen with a 7mm08...Ballistc tips at about 100m went right through like a pencil....too fast / too close...? but my 303 (215gr RN) poleaxed him on the spot.....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Post mortam shows rounds are doing what they should not the 1st time iv had it happen

One other time i shot a buck thru the back edge of the sholders at 260yds away just befor he jumped over a old river bed fence.Ran about 50yrds into the bush.Found him by smell 4 months later.Hornady 165 SST penciled clean thru him.Tuffer than reds i reckn.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    One other time i shot a buck thru the back edge of the sholders at 260yds away just befor he jumped over a old river bed fence.Ran about 50yrds into the bush.Found him by smell 4 months later.Hornady 165 SST penciled clean thru him.Tuffer than reds i reckn.
    It's all about the pill used on Fallow, light for cartridge designed to open real fast and destroy the hydraulics, the pneumatics and short out the electrics, they go nowhere after a good hit. Have never lost a Fallow, had it run, or require multiple shots from a .243 - closest 50yds, longest 350yds, sacked on the spot every time, my .270 and .308 both gave me more trouble on Fallow for expiring them on the spot. Am liking my new rifle in .308 enough that I may yet try the Speer 130 hp on them for that reason, rather than the 150 Hotcor and 165 Targex it likes for bigger critters.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Shot a couple of other deer with the Hornady white tail 165 sp.Didnt go thru but expanded in a big mess.No more walking for deer.