Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: My first deer

My first deer

I finally shot my first deer this weekend after 6 months of hard labour.
    Me and my flatmate decided to head up to lake sumner for the weekend to see if we could bag anything.
    Saturday morning came and we loaded up the truck and got on the road. When we arrived we got in as far as the canal between loch katrine and lake sumner befor we met a locked gate. We then hiked 20k into doc land and set up our camp.
    We set up on a likely clearing that evening but no luck we did see around 15 possums and 20 hares on the way back and as my mate said when the hares are out so are the deer.
    Next morning we set off in opposite directions at 5:30. I was trying to remember all the advice I have been given, move slowly, be quiet, use my eyes more than my legs, use natural cover to blend in.
    As I moved up the riverbank around 6:45 I spotted a strange bush on the othe side of the river, binocs up wait a second that's a deer looking at me, I froze and she went back to grazing I crept behind an over turned tree root but had nowhere to rest the rifle. Shit it's going to be an off hand shot from 150m.
    Adrenalin flowing and thoroughly over excited I lined her up for a neck shot and squeezed the trigger, nothing, you idiot never took off the safety.
    Ok deep breaths calm down, safety off. In my scope I see her turn broadside and present a perfect shot. Steady BOOM, and all hell broke loose a ten point stag and three hind erupt from the scrub as my hind hits the deck. They milled around for a
    Few seconds as I had the suppressor on and I lined up the stag. He still had scraps of velvet on and I decided not to take the shot as I couldn't carry two out. I'll go back for him in a few weeks during the roar. I crossed the river getting soaked in the process and got to my quarry, a double lung shot that had smashed her right front shoulder on the way out. She was still twitching and kicking so I put one through the base of neck to put her out of her misery. Cut her throat to bleed her and started to gut her. My mate turned up
    About 15 minutes later as he had heard the shots and gave me a hand. We took back steaks, eye fillets, front legs and back legs and then dug a hole and buried the guts rib cage and head as we want that stag to start using the clearing again as soon as possible. We then set the meat out to cool and packed up.
    The 20k walk out was torture but well worth the feeling of satisfaction when we got to the truck.
    I am now completely hooked there is nothing like hearing that thump as a deer hits the ground I can't wait for the roar.
    I will post up the pics as soon as I figure out how to link the camera to my computer. Thanks to all those who post advice for new hunters on the site your tips really do help.
    doinit, falconhell, mucko and 5 others like this.

Re: My first deer

Well done man- that's awesome :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Way to go. The stag won't drift too far away if there are hinds there so you will be right come the roar.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

My first deer

Nice one! Congratulations.

Excellent 308Howa, nice story, liked your honesty when you pulled the trigger and nothing happened as ive done that (on ducks not deer) can imagine that walk out, bet that first beer went down well...

oh yer, nice preparation as well.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nice work, mate.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Good write-up 308howa. I think every hunter has made the mistake of forgetting to take off their safety at some stage.

Definately go back to that spot during the roar, if there are hinds living there thats where the boys will be.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Congrats

Wicked story.. Big walk in.. Well deserved deer and be your first of plenty I reckon !!!
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Thanks very much lads scouser your dead right that first bottle of speights was finished about 10 minutes after getting in the door. Rushy I hope he won't drift too far I'm going to stay out of that spot for a few weeks to let the herd calm down. My legs are slightly broken today and I'm covered in bloody sandfly bites but it still goes down as one of the best experiences of my life. I'll stick up the pictures when I get home from work.

Another young huntress
    Congrats 308howa,

well done! It is a long way alright. I once walked from Lake Taylor where the 4wd track starts all the way in past the first hut. Never again.

20 k's walk out, oh to be young again....that's a haul. You more than deserve that deer eh.

Well done ! Good effort too . I guessing there must be a bit of chopper pressure on the tops if those deer are on the river flats at this time of year ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Well done ! Good effort too . I guessing there must be a bit of chopper pressure on the tops if those deer are on the river flats at this time of year ?
    Yeah we saw them hunting the tops on the way in. Are they allowed within the rha because there was one hunting the clearings damn close to our camp as we were leaving