Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By kiwijames

Thread: My Roar

My Roar

My 2015 Roar

Well this year I have not hit the bush to hard but the times I have ended in meat for the freezer and close encounters of the stag kind. No photos, not really sure why but yeah. Short vid though

First it was a trip into the Ruahine with a mate and my son Alex. I had asked Alex a few weeks earlier if he wanted to go to school for his 11th b-day or come for a walk in the bush to see if the stags were roaring, you guessed it a trip bush was on the cards. The drop off of Steph to school was sorted and the weather was looking good. As we arrived at the carpark the wind picked up more than it was forecast, but we had been up since 3.30am so we were not turning back. We made it up the steep track and onto the ridge in good time, not far in we let out the first roar which to our surprise was answered. We decided to leave this as an “on the way out, last chance” opportunity. Mistake number 1. We were more into getting to some really good slips to see if something was out or wanted to come out to a few roars. Not to be. Well at lunch time it was time to head for home knowing I had to pick my girl up from after school care by 5.30. On the way out the wind died and we had some fun winding up a stag but he was not wanting to come out for a look. All in all a great day. 2 stags seen in non shootable positions and at least 4 heard. Alex reckons it was the best birthday.

Then with Easter early it was “time with the family” but not before a Good Friday look around with Craigc. A couple of animals seen and heard but again no one wanted to party with me and my 7mm08. Rest of the Easter break was spent in Masterton and Riversdale Beach.

Next stop was a day trip to an old haunt of mine, It was a late start as I had to drop the kids with Mum and Dad……there choice. So we didn’t leave the carpark until 10.30. on the way over to Mum and dads I bumped into a mate heading home and convinced him to join me. Well what a day, Stags going all over the show, 3 closed encounters and a hind as a consolation prize on the way out, and even under the cover of darkness we had action. A number of animals seen and heard for the day which was great.

Now to this weekend. Weather looked a cracker for yesterday so plans were made and I was off to the same spot to finish some business started the week before. On the way out we stopped and checked some clearings, nek Minute yearling in my backpack and off to get stashed on the bush for the return journey. We headed off on a similar trip as the week before but with some adjustment for the wind. A couple more encounters with animals and alas no roar stag, Got some great footage with Fern and some pigs so not all was lost.

Enjoy the short vid and hope you have had better luck on the stags. I personally won’t get back in the hills for a while as I have some offshore teachers staying for 3 weeks and Opening of Duck season just around the corner

Cheers

Hamish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYNKsH0Pow
    Wildman, veitnamcam, 199p and 3 others like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Great vid.
    Had you super glued Fern's feet to the Forrest floor?
    Good control.

Cheers
    Toby likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Great self control from Fern. She wears a Dogtra collar or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Great self control from Fern. She wears a Dogtra collar or similar?
    Yeah it is a sport dog, purely for the beep function, almost time to remove.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Do you not like pork?

Nice work and great to see such good control of the dog, way to small to shoot I would think Bremic.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Do you not like pork?
    It would have fitted in the small key pocket on the back pack i was wearing, plus i had a yealing hanging in the tree waiting for a ride home!! also we were on the lookout for mre red skins, normally if bigger then yes
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Yeah it is a sport dog, purely for the beep function, almost time to remove.
    If you want to get rid of it I have a dog needing some self control!
    HNTMAD likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Cool vid and great training you have done.