Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 9 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 3 Post By Trout

Thread: NOTHING SPECIAL

NOTHING SPECIAL

Went for a wee 3hr drive last Wednesday afternoon.Seen nothing at last light.So had a good night sleep in the truck,woke up to a bloody freezing morning ffs.Best thing to do is have a quick coffee and go for a walk along a river bed edge with a few willow trees about.I had to been carefull walking on frosty stones and wet muddy grass.Just on light about 50yds away i could see a deer just half out of the willow tree branchs.I had willow branchs for a bit of cover too.One up the spout and ready to fire.It was just light enough to take the shot.Deer took 2 more steps out into the open.I let ripp,the 308 made the hit,fk not quiet where i wanted the shot.She took about 3 steps back wards into the willows.A 2-3 year old hind i reckn,that will do for the freezer.Packed up and drove home.Roll on the next few weeks.Name:  20210309_065119.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  2.48 MB
    Nathan F, Tahr, stug and 6 others like this.

Great job. More than I've got this year!

Off to take my 7 year old son for a pre-roar hunt today. Here's hoping for a similar result.

Good. Don't like the sound of the frost. Coming down on Monday.

MB
    Looks like a Texas heart shot!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Texas heart shot hmm,i usually aim near the back crease of the sholder about half way down,but shot ended just in front of her hind quarters as she was stepping forward and i had no rest to shoot from.Bleed like a cut throat.
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

time to check zero on scope I feel......have shot many in worse places over the years when it was only shot on offer...you got the animal and assumedly utilized its meat so all is good in the world. at least you getting out and about,nothing special tastes better than stinky old pissed up stag and a damn sight better than nothing at all. . enjoy the venison.

Nice one @Trout.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Texas heart shot hmm,i usually aim near the back crease of the sholder about half way down,but shot ended just in front of her hind quarters as she was stepping forward and i had no rest to shoot from.Bleed like a cut throat.
    Just kidding, it's the blood pattern in the photo.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Not a problem MB lols,heres the bullit that left my 308 muzzel at 2969ft/s.So the Hornady 150gr SSTs was fear smoking her at 50yds.[ATTACH]162581[/ATTACH.
    Here a report for MD now,lols.I just zeroed my new vixen scope 1.5x6x42 last week.Shooting.Bottom 2 shots with felt pen tail were just fmj147gr,then i used ssts for 2 shots on the right.Then dialed her to zero.After that 1clk up.All at a 100yds.But 1st i bore sighted scope in at 50yds,1st shot about 1 inch to right and low.Then i thort dont waste ammo go straight to a 100yds.Name:  20210226_122432.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  148.5 KB.
    Attached Images Attached Images