Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Old Huts Gone from the Land

Old Huts Gone from the Land

Greetings All,
    I have been thinking of doing a few more walks with rifle to the Old Kaweka Hut site. Thinking back Kaweka Hut was one of the first huts I visited in my early years of hunting from 1963 to 1970. The others were Lawrence Hut, Black Whare (sometimes called Back Whare), Castle Rocks Bivvy, Makino Bivvy and Hut. Only the last two survive and I am not sure about the Makino Bivvy. Regretably I took few photo's in those days so only have memory to go on.
    Lawrence Memorial Hut was built about 1955 with a bush frame and malthoid cladding. A corrugated iron roof was added later. My first visit was about 1967 or 1968 and it looked much like the photo below. It burnt down years ago as did ite shelter replacement. Today you can drive to the site but in the late 1960's you walked most of the way from the Taihape road.
    Attachment 187015
    Black Whare was a small sawn timber hut probably built by some pit sawyers in the late 1800's. It was close to Back Whare road. I have never been able to find a picture of it but it was derelict in the 1960's. Perhaps someone has a picture of it.
    Castle Rocks Bivvy was a standard NZFS Bivvy located on Castle Rocks Road not far from Lakes Road. I think that the Bivvy dated from the late 1950's or early 1960's well prior to the road formation. This area was all stunted scrub and clay pans at the time. Now it is pine forest.
    Kaweka Hut was another bush frame and malthoid hut that was built in 1936 and burnt down in about 2003. During its life it was clad and roofed in corrugated iron. The hut was built by the Heretaunga Tramping Club and initially accessed by a pack track from the Taihape Road. My first visit was 1968. We walked alond the still unformed Castle Rocks Road to the Bivvy. From there we followed our noses along firebreak down to the Kaweka track, to the hut and then back to the road. There was still a lengthy walk back to the car along the road, all uphill of course. I visited the hut often over the next 35 years until its demise but only occasionally since. It is a great spot. There are pictures in the internet.
    Makino Hut and possibly the Bivvy are still with us. Both were built by the Napier Deerstalkers Club in 1958, with materials supplied by NZFS and air dropped by fixed wing aircraft. My Uncle was one of the builders and it was with him and my father that I first went there in late March 1963.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    tikka, zimmer, john m and 1 others like this.

Picture
    Name:  2498 Lawrence Hut.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  103.2 KB
    Nathan F, rugerman, tikka and 14 others like this.

@grandpamac If You have ANY old photo's of our lost & old huts back in the day ,when you get a chance can you please post them so they are not lost & me & others find the history of our Kiwi hunting fascinating .

We were talking just the other day on here about how the other Pub & here has lost some valuable & historic information ,pics etc & stories ,one of the best threads on the other Pub was years ago they did threads on the old huts & the blokes who built them & first used them .Also another great interesting thread was on the old privately built bivvies hidden in the bush ,which most have now been torn down on public land.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Makino biv is pretty much gone, I’ll see if I can find a photo
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Makino biv is pretty much gone, I’ll see if I can find a photo
    It was looking pretty tragic almost 20 years ago at my last visit and I have a photo from then. The three of us slept in it on the way into Makino hut in 1963.
    GPM

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @grandpamac If You have ANY old photo's of our lost & old huts back in the day ,when you get a chance can you please post them so they are not lost & me & others find the history of our Kiwi hunting fascinating .

We were talking just the other day on here about how the other Pub & here has lost some valuable & historic information ,pics etc & stories ,one of the best threads on the other Pub was years ago they did threads on the old huts & the blokes who built them & first used them .Also another great interesting thread was on the old privately built bivvies hidden in the bush ,which most have now been torn down on public land.
    Will do.
    GPM.

Used to be one called the Dog Box up on Mt Arthur ridge. Before my time though.

This one
    Name:  Old Angelus hut.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  4.07 MB

has been replaced by a mansion that has to be booked in summer
    bunji likes this.

Makino Biv is still around. I stay there semi regularly and did a little work on it last year.
    Micky Duck and Ned like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Makino Biv is still around. I stay there semi regularly and did a little work on it last year.
    I spent a night in it maybe six years ago, providing we’re talking about the same one. Low A frame just to the right of the track when climbing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I spent a night in it maybe six years ago, providing we’re talking about the same one. Low A frame just to the right of the track when climbing up

Thats the one. Theres a couple of small holes in the roof but the worst part is the iron flaking at the edges where the leaf litters built up over time.

MSL
    When I stayed there I had to clear the rubbish to make room to lay down

Bos
    Old Willows hut in the Clarence. Only shared it once with a large family of rats
    Name:  IMG_0885.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  652.5 KB
    rugerman, bunji and OPO like this.

Stayed many a night in the Link Road huts in Pureora Forest Park and many a night in the Tihoa (sp) hut, eyed the Ponga Hut up a couple of times but then thought stuff that.

How about the one that was at the top of Wairere falls on the Kiamias? Sorry I don’t have a pick of that one it burnt down 3months before I set foot in the area. Back around 86
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    How about the one that was at the top of Wairere falls on the Kiamias? Sorry I don’t have a pick of that one it burnt down 3months before I set foot in the area. Back around 86
    Kaurititahi ?