Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 15 Post By bunji
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 1 Post By tac a1
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 1 Post By bunji
  • 2 Post By kukuwai

Thread: One of those days that makes it all worth while for a working Gun Dog owner

One of those days that makes it all worth while for a working Gun Dog owner

Missus & l had planned for a 4 day hunting trip last week ,but the floods & wind fronts put the Khyber on that ,so the missus was hanging out to try some new loads l worked up for the 1992, 280 AI, Rem Mountain Rifle l recently inherited & she has taken a shine to .She has decided she wants to use it over the Roar this year, instead of the 270 Finnlight she normally prefers, l am lucky to have a 250mtr " Range" at the Farm, so in between wind gales & 160mm of rain falling in 4 hrs , l had worked up some mild & accurate loads for her & she would be trying out the "Roar" load this trip l had settled on, a Barnes 150gn TTSX doing just over 3000 fps,she had put a few groups together with the various loads on the range & was consistently shooting 16mm 3 shot groups with it & denied any knowledge of the recoil with a cheeky grin after l had suggested maybe we wait for her to use it until l get a replacement "modern" recoil pad for her ,so had a lot of confidence in the rifle & load to do the job .

We had a request for a nice fat Velvety Stag for Salami & Sausage making, l had decided to just take Sako our 4yr old Vizsla on the hunt today to give her some more one on one time ,as she has been showing a lot of improvement of late & l wanted to reinforce the good work . After passing over some hinds ,Sako locked onto & tracked just what was ordered, a Stag mooching off towards a Bush Belt & the missus pulled off a nice shot at 165 mtrs , just as the Stag turned for one last look back at where the Hinds were & was about to enter a thick bushy gully ,fed by a mountain spring .

As we walked up on the fallen Stag & doing the usual hugs & congrats ,we both noticed Sako was scenting heavily the closer we got to the Bush edge & more importantly for us , of a indication Sako was convinced game was close, the nut case went into its "Moon Walking " stalk, where each foot step is done in slow motion & all the muscles are clenched , then right when we were at the downed Stag ,before we realized what was going down , we had a full locked on classic point happening .

I immediately chambered a round & gave the hand signal for Sako to push on ,after about 60 mtrs of slowly fighting through the thick scrub & ferns , Sako went on full lock again & a nice Boar decided its stump impersonation was not working & broke cover tried to run up hill to safety ,my custom 284W handles like a fine 20G quail gun, so l swung through & fired as it went through a light patch of Ferns ,sending it rolling down hill past us .Sako the wonder dog was pretty happy with it self & l made sure a good dose of praise & belly pats was administered to show my appreciation .

Sako has just turned 4 & this was the first time a double point has been done on separate Game species, l firmly believe that the introduction of my pup Muttley the "accidental " Deer dog machine, a 14 month old GSP/Kelpie/Header X to the team & how fast he has picked up Gun Dog duties (when he was only ever meant to be a companion for my Old Lab at the Farm ) ,has spurred Sako to ignore the usual Vizsla trait of being a pup until 6yrs old & to switch on to concentrating on showing that mongrel Muttley up ,so Sako stays queen of the Farm & mums favorite .

As usual the Barnes were devastating ,smashing shoulder & showering the internals in bone shrapnel on the way through to leaving large exit wounds ,the Boar had a 2 ft stream of blood pumping out as it rolled down past us.

Sako been reading too many Gun Dog monthly mags & trying to show us why we should leave that mongrel Muttley home more often .

Name:  Hounds Sako Double Point Sml.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  95.0 KB

Nice solid Boar

Name:  Hounds Sako Double Point Hog Sml.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  77.8 KB
    Nathan F, Trout, Dreamer and 12 others like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

"ALWAYS trust the dog" great result and good on you for following up what dog wanted to show you.
    bunji and HILLBILLYHUNTERS like this.

Nice double for the hunt, the dog sure is a great asset when hunting.
    bunji likes this.

Paradise
    bunji likes this.

I miss my vizsla really badly. He was a fantastic little mate with so much potential. Taken by cancer at 3.5 years. RIP my boy
    bunji likes this.

Shit Tac that's a real bummer about your boy 3 and a half is wayyyy too young.
    Of course at any age is too young in my book, but you can convince yourself they have had a good run if it's near the end of their life.
    bunji likes this.

@tac a1 Sorry to hear mate ,Sako is the 6th Vizsla we have had & l call them 50/50 dogs as they spend 4 years being pups & 4 yrs being good hunting dogs & then it is time to start training up a replacement .

They are bloody characters ,l got Muttley our 14 month old pup; a Papered, Horney, Fence Jumping, GSP Father /Papered & imported , Loose Morals Kelpie, Mother/Header X ,more to keep our old 11yr old Lab that l retired last year company in her retirement ,but she got all broody & became like his his adopted mum & taught him how to retrieve ducks & her "party" trick of retrieving rabbits while we are spotlighting & dropping them in the back of the ute or SXS . Muttley now has taken that job over & silly bloody Sako cracks the shits & turns her head away & will not look at him while he does it ,my missus nearly falls out of the SXS laughing so much.

They are bloody good looking hounds when they fill out & switch on ,this is my favorite photo of Sako scent tacking a Deer on the other side of the river ,she does this often & is always spot on .

If you ever get down to the deep South & would like to go for a hunt over Sako for old times sake let us know , anyone with a deep love & appreciation of good dogs is welcome at our table any time

Name:  Bach Sako Scenting SML.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  82.2 KB
    Last edited by bunji; 24-02-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    rugerman likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

lol that sounds pretty hard case Bunji
    I've got half a Vizsla coming in 2 weeks
    The other half is a Lab so we will see how that works out

Primo

Dogs are our best mates. Purebread or mutts they better our lives. No doubt about it !!

I once read that the human race would not have advanced this far without them.

I believe it....

Stock,
    Hunting,
    Companionship.

Bloody champs !!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    rugerman and Steve123 like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!