Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: from the other way....

from the other way....

first off I apolagise for lack of photos.....

well a few years back my mate bought a small block over on the "wet coast" ...well its sort of over there,below paparoas close to iki.
    we had high hopes as the area used to be well known for fallow deer....
    over last couple of years we have tried hunting early,late,mid day...spring,summer,the roar,middle of winter...we have tried sneaking upstream,circling around and creeping back downstream....Ive taken Meg my dog over,left her at home....we have even resorted to trying it coaster style and flicking light around (private land)
    we managed to bump small mob of goats with Meg 3 years ago....shot 2

then again we bumped 2 young goats 18mths ago and shot them both.

Ive heard deer take off once....red stag going by sign...
    mates Mrs has seen deer while out running and mate has had them cross road infront of him when heading out to work...
    Ive put in some hours and travelled some serious KMs trying to crack this nut.there is bottle of wine sitting on shelf I will not open till we get a deer,knowing my luck it be like vinegar by then.
    this block had an old logging road right around it once upon a time,we have explored it from one side many times before but this weekend we went the other way...6.2kms from house we found road washed out....came back next day and tried on foot....yip we got to within 500 yards of where we had been before,turned around and started back to wagon some 2kms away,and then I thought to self...this is dumb,why not I carry on and mate take wagon home??? so I handed him heavy 7mm mag and got my old BLR back ,oh how I regret swapping that rifle...its the one Timattalon owned,photo of it in lever action thread....its now suppressed with early gunworks can and wears a 1.75-5 tasco....
    anyway I headed off through gorse covered track (why the friggin Pomgolians couldnt build post n wire fences like anyone else) and some 500 yards later heard goat calling out....and kept calling,either nanny getting rogered or young one seperated I thought,dropped off steep side of track and headed towards sign,got down to river and couldnt see goat or hear it either...headed 50 yards upstream,heard a call...moved closer and called back...after a few replies I stalked in and spotted 2year old nanny up on old beech stump,lonely,no mates n no kid..so put 150grn hornady sp into shoulders...yeah .308 works LOL.
    whipped off back wheels and headed downstream.4.2kms back to mates house.saw black nbrown billy at 25 yards,watched him and then stalked past....then brown n white nanny at 50 yards..again I managed to ghost past,she spotted movement but couldnt make me out in the ferns and I got past without her spooking...stopped at another clearish spot for lunch and spotted two more nannies ,thought it was a fallow for second or three...scope confirmed nannies...stalked past.them too.
    heaps of pig sign ,loads of deer sign ,but AGAIN...not a animal to be found other than the 5 goats....got back to mates place 6hours after leaving...fairly poked but happy to have managed another animal from block even if it was only a goat.

one of these days I will crack this block,I KNOW the animals there in spring,I know they trade up n down river...I know the wind blows everywhich way....one day Roger Fits one day....
    7mmsaum, Tahr, veitnamcam and 12 others like this.

Good effort, need some trail cameras to do the scouting while you aren’t there.

Perseverance will pay off......one day. Keep at it.

IF there was a elevated spot that would work...but of that 4.2kms of river....about 3.8 of it is bush right to edge...small house sized clearings scattered down its length...mates block itself will lend itself to sit n snipe once it is cleared properly.the animals are there but Im convinced there isnt many....1080 being laid around outside doesnt help at all....

Is it near Rough Creek, Ikamatua way?
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

very near it infact....

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Is it near Rough Creek, Ikamatua way?
    Pretty good knowledge from a fella from Perth
    @Micky Duck I reckon build a tree stand and chuck @Phil_H up there on sentry duty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Trout, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I'm just confused as to why you keep driving over the hill to the wet side when you have a great spot just up the road from home.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

because I go to visit a Mate.......the hunt is a bonus,and now a challenge.
    veitnamcam and RUMPY like this.

Find the best broadleaf belt in the area, there will be tracks coming and going if its used, sit generally down wind and wait. Well it works for whitetails.

Wind on your nose and the Murupara Moonbeam at 2am

moonbeam no good as its mostly thick bush....and the plurry wind can not decide for ten minutes which way it wants to head....about only thing consistant with wind it that it seems to be consistantly up my jacksee....
    last weeks effort had a few things slightly different...I was stalking from the get go..and kept stalking instead of plodding along ..when I got tired I stopped...get noisy when tired.
    light drizzle
    spring growth,which is a biggie
    and lastly nearly 12mths since last effort.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Pretty good knowledge from a fella from Perth
    @Micky Duck I reckon build a tree stand and chuck @Phil_H up there on sentry duty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lived on the coast for years.
    Trout, Micky Duck and kukuwai like this.

I live near the woodhill forest..One account I read from a hunter.. he was hunting for fallow and had no luck so returned the way he came and found fresh fallow foot prints following on top of his fresh boot prints.
    my thought was who was stalking who?

I could come up and show you how to do it and i could bring some of those 180gr winchesters with me so you do it right lol.
    Then again, places like that is what the hunts all about, when you get that deer of that block it be the best deer you ever shot . I would suggest you use a 243,
    they just have a knack of having great results and bringing extra luck!
    Micky Duck likes this.