Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 12 Post By Andrew46826
  • 1 Post By Dundee

Thread: Over due roar write up

Over due roar write up

Hey team, had posted this up on another forum but forgot to add it here!

This year I managed to get a bit of time off for the roar. And luckily managed to work some of it in with Headhunter. Unfortunately we didn't get a lot of action but saw plenty of animals all in all.

Had an over nighter with Headhunter and had a few roaring but they just didn't seem to be in the full swing of things. But fun none the less.

The best part being able to get into the hills and away from work. I feel like we have it all backwards sometimes, having to work 5 out of 7 days.

Ended up shooting one young stag in the Tararuas and that was it for me.

Every year I seem to roar a stag up that isn't roaring. You get quite a shock when they just about stand on your feet when you had no idea they were there. I had just been sidling and roaring when I heard a bit of noise about 15m away. I had managed to put myself between a stand of pungas and what I assumed was a stag coming to investigate who was making all that god awful noise. I was at this stage a little nervous because I knew that by the time I was able to see what ever was causing the commotion it would literally be right in front of me. Just as I saw one side of an antler it must have winded me and broke of down hill at a rate of knots. That one was not meant to be. Wolf was pretty relaxed with the whole ordeal.

Is there something on my face? Must be a real bastard having your face that low to the ground ;D

That happened to me again about a week later with a stag I had heard roaring the evening before. I was up early to make a bee line for said stag but all was quiet on the western front. So away I went roaring and making all sorts of ridiculous noises to try an entice this stag to talk back. I got to a point where I lay down gave a couple of roars and as there was no reply had a wee snooze. About 30 minutes later I awoke. Wolf was lying there sound asleep still. I gave another roar. About 20 seconds after that I looked at Wolf and he was staring intently down below us. I then heard sticks breaking. I got to my knee and waited. Sure enough out pops a stag from about 10m away. After identifying his head I lined up his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He took off crashing some way. Wolf was on the job and took me straight to him. A little 6 pointer.

Went out a few more times but got nothing but a wet ass.

Cheers,

Andrew

Well done Andrew, they all count mate......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Better late than never. Thanks for posting Andrew.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Awesome. Nice bivvy you got set up there. like the pic of some rolling countryside near the end

Awesome Andrew,will have to catch up with you and wolf one day.
    Andrew46826 likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

It's high time I got back out there! Damn this cold Winter weather!