Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Possum cruelty

Possum cruelty

next we will be told a 30oz stanley isnt humaine enough for the wee poor critters!!!!!

Not sure which is worse the SPCA reaction or the people on Faceplant
    6x47 likes this.

What is much worse is DoC and OSPRI poison regimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    What is much worse is DoC and OSPRI poison regimes.
    In deed.

Comparing the quick certain death by a blow to the head with the slow, cruel and unassured death from 1080. Can't really, but SPCA did not really do this, just said that if you need an animal euthanased, better get a vet to do it, or an experienced shooter.

There is SOME technique involved in dispatching an animal with a club, not everyone will instinctively do this well therefore.

And... IN FAIRNESS TO THE SPCA...,The SPCA has spoken out about 1080 and labelled THAT as animal cruelty.
    Last edited by Cordite; 03-03-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    257weatherby and Growlybear like this.

LBD
    This thread belongs in Campfire humour....
    Maca49, Moutere and Sideshow like this.

Manys the jacko ive dispatched with a hefty thump between the ears from a leadhead studded lump of 4x2 and death was instantaneous.
    this article also shows the simpering triteness of faecesbook and the equally sensationalist MSM reporter.bet he or she was quiivering with anticipation showing theirwee writeup to a xslobby drooling editor.
    4x4tyre ,12g,.303.22 alleffective at sending the wee aussie import into the everlasting rimu forest.
    tetawa, Maca49 and Woody like this.

i have known a couple of spca people (one senior one) neither would have had an issue with dispatching the possum providing it was done humanely. its not like the guy covered it in petrol and lit it, he quickly dispatched it back to the land of the eucalyptus
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Manys the jacko ive dispatched with a hefty thump between the ears from a leadhead studded lump of 4x2 and death was instantaneous.
    this article also shows the simpering triteness of faecesbook and the equally sensationalist MSM reporter.bet he or she was quiivering with anticipation showing theirwee writeup to a xslobby drooling editor.
    4x4tyre ,12g,.303.22 alleffective at sending the wee aussie import into the everlasting rimu forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have known a couple of spca people (one senior one) neither would have had an issue with dispatching the possum providing it was done humanely. its not like the guy covered it in petrol and lit it, he quickly dispatched it back to the land of the eucalyptus
    So...where did the possum actually go? The everlasting rimu forest or the land of the eucalyptus.
    timattalon likes this.

I recall a case of a Pacific Islander in Auckland a few years ago who killed his dog and ate it.

SPCA got involved, prosecuted, the guy got off as he'd clobbered the dog in the head with a hammer before dispatching it (whichever way he did it - may have stuck it). The blow to the head was considered to have anaesthetised the dog and thus whatever way he killed it subsequent to that was considered irrelevant in terms of animal suffering.

I believe the key question in terms of the law is whether one has causes deliberate animal suffering, not simply animal suffering.

"But the SPCA said people need to get in touch with an expert if they find any injured wild animals, rather than take matters into their own hands"

I didn't realise they had the monopoly on knocking a possum on the bonce? Every week it seems the SPCA becomes more and more lunatic fringe.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

A bit off topic, but I thort keeping possum's as pets wasn't allowed as they are noxious pests? I realize reality and rules don't always coinside tho.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    "But the SPCA said people need to get in touch with an expert if they find any injured wild animals, rather than take matters into their own hands"

I didn't realise they had the monopoly on knocking a possum on the bonce? Every week it seems the SPCA becomes more and more lunatic fringe.
    Townies, refined and purified especially towards the middle of town.
    Tommy and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    "But the SPCA said people need to get in touch with an expert.
    What do they define an expert as ?

This guy maybe?

Name:  hammer.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  6.5 KB
    Tommy likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

years back i saw a cat get run over, guts squished and in agony out and so i did the humane thing. i dont think even the owner would have complained at me doing it (and i certainly didnt enjoy doing it either)