Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Pouring rain, shots fired, scope eye and stag down, all part of a bush stalkers life

Pouring rain, shots fired, scope eye and stag down, all part of a bush stalkers life

Havnt been out since the last hunt with Pengy when we were successful so was pretty keen to get out this weekend.
    Weather forecast was crap, wind, rain, most people would of stayed in bed but i was going no matter what.

Up at 415am and light rain and a breeze already up but got my gear, grabbed my coat and off to my spot for a wet bush stalk.

Didnt have the luck, as soon as i got there it started raining quite steady but that didnt stop me.
    Took my SS 243 with the Bushnell Elite scope, kept the cover on it and headed of into the wet native to see if can find a animal in this crap weather.

Wasnt long and see fresh marks, had faith i get one and as it wasnt cold and got used to being wet i was quite happy wandering along in the native.
    Was pretty gloomy thou, and my eyes are bad enough so had to look hard to see if there were any animals ahead lol.

Wasnt long, maybe 40mins and i spot what looks like a deer maybe about 70yards away in some open native.
    It sure looked like one, it was sitting down looking at me and sure enough, after i took of the scope cover, had a look thru the scope i can see clearly its a young stag.

Couldnt belive my luck, close the bolt and thought because of the angle if i shoot it a few inches just behind the shoulder where he was sitting he should go down.

Line the 243 up, but just as i squeesed off i moved (free standing) and knew the shot could be dodgy.

Boom and its a hit, but not a great one. The stag gets up and heads off, seems to be on 3 legs and in seconds it disappears .

Im thinking its prob go 20yards and fallen over so i wander over and see nothing. No blood, no deer. i look around the area and head a bit further and still cant find him.

Shit, its gloomy, no blood and theres abit of crown fern and rubbish around he could be hard to find if hes down at all.

I head back to where i thought he was lying to see if can pick up a blood trail before a grid search begins and suddenly above me i spot him up the hill.

Hes not moving fast, must be hit hard but need to finish him off. I ly down and get a good rest, its pretty steep where i am and hes straight above me looking down
    I get the crosshairs right on his shoulder but im slipping from my rest, i have one hand trying to hold me there and the rifle moved away from my shoulder
    but the crosshairs are perfect on him and i lend forward and just squeeze of anyway.

Boom, perfect hit square in middle of his shoulder and he goes straight down. Only problem is because i just had the rifle resting there on a very steep angle and wasnt quite up to my shoulder
    the rifle kicked back and the scope hit me in the head lol.

Blood is now running down my nose and who would of thought it, scope eyed by a 243!
    Now, dont let anyone tell you now theres no power in a 243, ha to laugh, normally theres no recoil but its a beast i tell you hahahaha

Name:  DSCF2050.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  428.6 KB

Name:  DSCF2052.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  455.6 KB

Still, on a wet day, getting a deer have to say quite enjoyed this hunt. On looking to see where the first shot went it just went a few inches to forward.
    Nearly blew its leg off at the shoulder but just didnt hit the vitals because of the angle.
    Rain stopped a little as i started the boning out so that was good .

Name:  DSCF2055.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  412.5 KB

Anyway, very successful day and i was back home before 10am!

Name:  DSCF2051.JPG
Views: 634
Size:  410.9 KB

Name:  DSCF2054.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  370.5 KB

Camera didnt like the weather as pictures bit dodgy, until next time cheers

Good effort on a cold wet windy morning.Dont look in the mirror tomoro morning.Yr eye might have a different colouring.Bit of ice will help it.

Good on ya mate, doing the hard yards

Ha, here was me thinking, if you can’t hold a camera still how can hold a gun? I’m pleased it all came together in the end well done and congratulations on the trophy, the eye that is.
    Joe_90 and Dusty Fog like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Trying conditions and you still got your deer, well done, you got a bonus this time , one you would rather not have lol
    deer243 likes this.

Mate of mine is a big lad and shooting up hill on at least 2 occasions with me has seen him end up with scope eye and he's only shooting a 7M08.
    Probably the stock is a bit short but makes a good story.
    Z

Well done a great result. Good to read a story while laying back on the lazyboy on a wet day.
    When hunting think safety first

Huk
    Good story good on ya for going out in that weather.Good ole 243 does it again

Good work....not the photos tho they are crap

Next time ay.....getting into stupid busy time for me but might squeeze in a trip up the lake sometime soon if your keen.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Was in Nelson and can confirm the weather was terrible both on the drive up Saturday and home again today, but it was a fine afternoon for the wedding I attended.
    Trout likes this.

Nice deer243..wet conditions sure can work to ones advantage eh
    veitnamcam likes this.

Cheers

Hey man im sure we have all had a bit of scope eye but good score there
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Good hunt you don't get them by staying home

Nice looking country. Very open compared to the stuff up north here.