Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Pussy footing around

Pussy footing around

It was becoming the norm for me, loading the dogs onto the ute and doing the ten minute drive up the road. In the end it took eight months and a lot of mucking around at all hours of the night. But this one particular night made it all worth while with a solid Rimutaka boar with a good jaw.
    Name:  received_10152697335263861 (1).jpeg
Views: 1690
Size:  73.9 KB

We had him coming into the dump and would get consistant times, but he was always one step ahead of us. Sometimes a matter of seconds from when he departed until the dogs showed up on the camera. Some nights he wouldn't come in at all, like he had a six sense that we were coming. We tried windy nights to hide the sound of our approach, still nights to get the dogs the perfect wind, different wind directions, coming in from different directions, pretty much anything we could think of to get an advantage over him. But in the end it was the easiest approach that was successful.

This night was a Saturday night so we cooked some dinner and had a couple of beers and slowly got ready to do what we had done so many times before. We drove a short distance and started walking the track to the dump with the dogs let off. Quite often we would have the dogs tied up until we got close to the dump, but we decided not to this time.

The dogs hit the dump and carried on past it. We knew they weren't chasing anything, just working at nose down tracking speed. It wasn't long before we heard a bark and then a scrap, so we started making our way there. It took close to half an hour to get there, pushing through the thick Rimutaka bush. We made it there and stuck it and checked the dogs. Just one skin rip was all, so we were lucky. He went 150lb with a solid jaw typical of the Rimutaka pigs.
    Name:  11078098_801945023224333_5673021369065052715_n.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  61.5 KB
    Name:  11066786_801944996557669_6215875695641734102_n.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  49.5 KB

Even with modern technology like the cameras which are a great tool, it just goes to show that it is still a battle of the cunning of the dog vs the cunning of the pig and how clever these older pigs get.
    puku, jakewire, 7mmsaum and 7 others like this.

You should have asked that cat for help, he seems to have been in the know.
    mikee, Scouser and Tommy like this.

Brilliant mate, well done, got the crafty barstewart!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

That was fricken awesome
    Love the modern technology of a cat scan
    Scouser and Nick-D like this.

You would swear that that cat is about to rub itself along that pig?
    Love walking my gun

Nice one!

Has that cat got two tails??? Or is it two cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There sure are a lot of cats Name:  PICT1049.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  309.9 KBName:  PICT1057.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  784.6 KB
    sometimes I'm not sure who eats the most the pigs or the cats

Awesome

Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Has that cat got two tails??? Or is it two cats?

You trippin bro
    Name:  imagesQS5HXM7J.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  9.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    You should have asked that cat for help, he seems to have been in the know.
    In my experience, pussy only leads you astray.
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Beaker and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    In my experience, pussy only leads you astray.

Name:  11006200_10152697336728861_24170725_n.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  87.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamkiwi View Post
    You would swear that that cat is about to rub itself along that pig?
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Munsey and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It was becoming the norm for me, loading the dogs onto the ute and doing the ten minute drive up the road. In the end it took eight months and a lot of mucking around at all hours of the night. But this one particular night made it all worth while with a solid Rimutaka boar with a good jaw.
    Attachment 37952

We had him coming into the dump and would get consistant times, but he was always one step ahead of us. Sometimes a matter of seconds from when he departed until the dogs showed up on the camera. Some nights he wouldn't come in at all, like he had a six sense that we were coming. We tried windy nights to hide the sound of our approach, still nights to get the dogs the perfect wind, different wind directions, coming in from different directions, pretty much anything we could think of to get an advantage over him. But in the end it was the easiest approach that was successful.

This night was a Saturday night so we cooked some dinner and had a couple of beers and slowly got ready to do what we had done so many times before. We drove a short distance and started walking the track to the dump with the dogs let off. Quite often we would have the dogs tied up until we got close to the dump, but we decided not to this time.

The dogs hit the dump and carried on past it. We knew they weren't chasing anything, just working at nose down tracking speed. It wasn't long before we heard a bark and then a scrap, so we started making our way there. It took close to half an hour to get there, pushing through the thick Rimutaka bush. We made it there and stuck it and checked the dogs. Just one skin rip was all, so we were lucky. He went 150lb with a solid jaw typical of the Rimutaka pigs.
    Attachment 37954
    Attachment 37955

Even with modern technology like the cameras which are a great tool, it just goes to show that it is still a battle of the cunning of the dog vs the cunning of the pig and how clever these older pigs get.
    I'm just seeing what's in the photo. I can c one cat n look a at its back end n one leg a tail n ......(closest to pig)?

great story, never have I seen cats running with wild pigs before
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.