Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Quick day hunt for goat, and cleaning up alcoholic trash.

Quick day hunt for goat, and cleaning up alcoholic trash.

Just came back from a quick day hunt , Taieri river doc area. More productive than the big bush hunting area. However goat numbers are still relatively sparse in the bits of bush I checked out, and the goats are very quiet and skittish. The last time I visited I failed.

This time I was more mentally prepared. I was still, quiet, and paying attention. After stalking around for a few hours without seeing, hearing, or smelling anything, and not finding any fresh sign, I noticed a black goat approaching, I saw her before she saw me. Didn't hear or smell a thing, she just appeared between the trees like a ghost. Kneeled down, bleated to get her to stop in her tracks, and shot her. She dropped dead after bouncing away 5 meters. Bullet went through the lungs but nicked some guts because she was facing toward me. Maybe should have shot higher up on the neck or head instead. Anyway still hauled out two legs, two shoulders, and backstraps in my pillowcases. Nice. I just really hate not being able to get untainted choice offal.

Name:  20211124_170653.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  682.7 KB
    Name:  20211124_175235.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  605.6 KB

Now the entrance carpark of this hunting area concerned me. Trash everywhere, bullet holes in the signs, childish graffiti, makeshift targets, shotgun shell casings here and there, loads of empty alcoholic beverage bottles and cans
    (at least fifty of them). Absolutely disgusting. Kind of scares me that sometimes I might be sharing public hunting areas with people this irresponsible. Because I got a goat I felt happy enough to clean some of this mess up. While cleaning up, I found an energy bill among the litter. Name address and everything. Turns out the dude lives in the same suburb as I do. Wonder if this energy bill belongs to one of the people who made the mess.

Name:  20211124_192220.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  4.76 MB
    Name:  20211124_191216.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  8.41 MB
    Name:  20211124_193023.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  4.14 MB
    Name:  20211124_193017.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  2.37 MB

In the end really nice way to spend a Wednesday evening (had no work today yippee), even if it means picking up some rubbish.

Good on you for picking up after those two legged pigs.
    Use enough gun

Part of me says name and shame, but we don’t know that said utility bill name is responsible, but then why is the bill there in the first place..hmm
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Part of me says name and shame, but we don’t know that said utility bill name is responsible, but then why is the bill there in the first place..hmm
    Yeah it is pretty tempting, there is no guarantee the utility bill belongs to one of the culprits but I think there is a pretty good chance it does. Will likely keep it to myself though, and maybe will drop a polite letter telling him to please be a tidy kiwi.
    Micky Duck, Phil_H, Ned and 1 others like this.

Thanks for cleaning!
    Never understood why some people travel so far to litter... Please, stay at home, play TV games, have no children...

MB
    Like reading your goat hunting reports, please keep posting. If there's one thing that really pisses me off, it's littering. Re: the letter you found, it might have been dumped stolen mail. We get a bit of that up here in our little corner of paradise, and litter of course.

Sounds like an enjoyable hunt Jessica, and good of you to pick up rubbish! I always end up bringing other peoples litter home with me too.

Secluded carparks attract those sort of numpties everywhere in NZ.
    JessicaChen likes this.

Good deed for the day done. Good stuff on the hunt as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JessicaChen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Yeah it is pretty tempting, there is no guarantee the utility bill belongs to one of the culprits but I think there is a pretty good chance it does. Will likely keep it to myself though, and maybe will drop a polite letter telling him to please be a tidy kiwi.
    Have someone who can hold a straight face when bullshitting call them up and pretend to be from the council investigating the dumping.
    Make out like they are busted red handed and hope for an admission of guilt.
    If they are dumb enough to admit to it, then name and shame the bastards.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Use enough gun

SiB
    Well written,
    I agree alcoholic beverages are sometimes associated with some shooters (I detest naming them hunters), but here in the Longwood (Southland) we are seeing an increasing volume of energy drink bottles usually associated with our Lycra-clad mountain bikers.
    JessicaChen likes this.

Enjoyable read ,l have taken a garbage bag with me where ever we go to cart out other morons rubbish for years & it does not matter now where it is ,while Spear fishing we often pull up on a secluded bit of beach to cook up a feed & even there will have rubbish & half burnt cans & bottles in old camp fires, it does my head in & l am really glad to have a good variety of private property to hunt on.

Even when we lived on the remote Top End coast line & islands in Oz the remote beaches would be littered with rubbish brought down on the currents from Indonesia & fishing boats & even when me & the missus sailed around the South Pacific for 6 months we would dive the Reefs to spear fish a feed & the bottom would be littered with plastic ,cans etc fucking disgraceful & really makes you wonder about the human race.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Well done Jessica on both counts , getting your goat and picking up rubbish. If it wasn't for good people like yourself and other forum members God knows what some of these areas would be like. The area I mainly hunt sees heaps of trash dumped ....trailer loads at a time, also burnt out cars which put the pine forests at risk, and yes you sure have to wonder about the human race sometimes.
    JessicaChen and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Well written,
    I agree alcoholic beverages are sometimes associated with some shooters (I detest naming them hunters), but here in the Longwood (Southland) we are seeing an increasing volume of energy drink bottles usually associated with our Lycra-clad mountain bikers.
    I’m a mountain biker too but can assure you I don’t drink energy drinks and don’t wear Lycra haha
    But shitheads are in all walks I can agree there
    40mm likes this.

I nearly opened up on a mob of goats when hunting in that area years ago - only at the last moment I realized they were on private land!
    Good on ya Jessica!
    JessicaChen likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

you could always drop off the rubbish the person must have "accidentally dropped" back outside the gate,with bill Sellotaped to outside of rubbish bag.