Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Rainy days are the best....venison galore

Rainy days are the best....venison galore

Whats been happening one might ask. Well couple weeks ago i took out a fellow forum member for a hunt.
    He was new to the area, wanted some pointers etc and considering hes in the 70s i thought i try help him out for some areas and take him to a spot that could be
    good for him.
    Well, lets just say we had a good day. Saw 7 deer(well i did anyway lol). Missed one from a couple hundred yards that was with a group of 4 that had busted us straight from the car.

Had a couple run in front of the 4x4 on drive in and while we looked up a creek bed i went up a ridge for a look and tracked a stag down.
    Thought was going to get him but stags are cunning and he circled me and bolted 50yards away and didnt see him in time. Thats the breaks with bush stalking but i think
    our new member had a good day out so that was the main thing.

Today, the forecast was crap! Considering i have some old buggers 60th of forum next weekend that rules hunting out so i thought i go today no matter the weather.

Forecast wasnt good but hunting in the rain can be good so i was up at 3am. Took the 308, not my prefered wet weather rifle but the area can have some longer range shots
    so it won the prize.
    Grabbed the wet weather gear and was of to light rain and headed to spot x.
    Arrived in perfect time, condations were ok considering and grabbed the gear and headed off up the valley.

Now , sometimes when you out there doing it lots the stars line up and you just have a dream day and today was one of them.

Now, this is no crap, i walked about 20 yards and suddenly to my left was a deer standing broadside on about 30 yards from me! Jesus, is this for real!/?

Yip, it surly was, out of the corner of my eye i saw another deer take off and i quickly threw the scope cover off and the one i was looking at bolted.

As i rushed forward to see where it went it uturned to head in the direction of its mate and thats when i put the crosshairs on it and Boom !!.
    A little rushed that shot but wasnt bad, hit it in the top of the front leg, a little low for a kill shot but hit well enough it wasnt going anywhere.

Thought it was going to drop but soon realized it wasnt going to so put the crosshairs on its neck and dropped it .
    Wow, straight out the 4x4 and within a couple of mintues a nice yearling is down.
    I gutted it, took the heart as well and got it in the back of the 4x4 all by 6am lol. Well, if i thought that was good it was going to get better.

Name:  DSCF2061.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  681.9 KB

Well, after that i was thinking i havnt even done anything so i drove abit further up and parked the car and headed for a area i thought i might get another.

Got pretty wet but soon it was worth it when i came across fresh stag marks and looked a good one.
    I tracked it for over 30mins, im sure it wasnt far away but it headed into steep country i wasnt that keen on going, esp as i had a deer so i gave it a miss.

Name:  DSCF2058.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  618.6 KB

Decided i head back to the car, got a easy deer and i was wet and had a little walk so i was happy as. On the way back i was still stalking some handy native
    and i thought it was all over when the 4x4 was only about 50 yards away and blow me over, i spot a stag in the bush.

As i creep in the stag sees me and stares me down.
    I can see his head, neck and back end but no shot is on apart from his neck so i line that up with the 308 and boom and down he goes.

Ended up a nice 7 point velvet stag and a very quick short drag down to the 4x4 and that was that.

Hardest part of the whole hunt was getting the deer into the 4x4, esp the stag lol. Must be getting old. took the other oe out and put the stag in first and themn manged to get
    the other in and of to my mates chiller

Name:  DSCF2056.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  642.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2060.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  653.0 KB

Name:  DSCF2062.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  599.3 KB

Sometimes all those hard yards and failues you do bushstalking you get rewared with a day like this in DOC, where it all comes together.

Still, you make your own luck thou, while most would just stay in bed due to the weather and certainly wouldnt be getting up at 3am on this sort of day
    thats why some people get the venison more than others

Cheers, till next time

Primo
    300wsm for life likes this.

MFP
    You get out what you put in. Most excellent work.

Good stuff well earned veni.

Just goes to show, deer are not always that far from the car park. Well done.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 04-12-2021 at 06:57 PM.

great going mate...and again you didnt end up carving yourself up...must be learning LOL.
    enjoy the venison,it should be primo eating.

How good are those knobby's though

Yeah mate you make your own luck. Well done

That, mate, is what it’s all about. Thanks for posting.
    Just...say...the...word

Tinarse !
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

NRT
    Great read ,off the couch the world's your Oyster

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

The best deer are shot close to yr truck.Heavey tho.Enjoy.

You're an inspiration. Great work.
    Out of curiosity. What time did you leave the truck and start hunting?

Great read and x 2 deer!

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    You're an inspiration. Great work.
    Out of curiosity. What time did you leave the truck and start hunting?
    Hi, i locked the truck at 545am and shot the first deer at 547am lol. The stag was around 940am
    Micky Duck and Chur Bay like this.