Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree58Likes
  • 45 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Nathan F
  • 1 Post By cb14
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By stingray
  • 3 Post By MFP
  • 1 Post By Ranger 888
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Retribution

Retribution

Ive just spent a couple of nights up at my hut to get some peace and quiet while I wrote some materials for a contract.

The evening I arrived I went out for a hunt and while stalking through the scrub I shot a little spiker Fallow with the .223 that was having a nap at 30 yards. So that was meat in the bag and I could get on with the main event of getting the work done. When I got back to the hut I hung it in the shady bush were it would keep until I went home.

Name:  IMG_5737 2.jpeg
Views: 554
Size:  6.03 MB

About 4pm the next day my friend the cocky called in as he passed with his dogs for a yarn and a coffee. After half an hour he set off on his way and as we stepped out of the hut I noticed a chewed shoulder laying on the ground. Closer inspection revealed the bottom torn out of the meat bag and all of the contents consumed While the bag had been out of the reach of my old Tilly it wasn't for the 2 agile, leaping, heading dogs I'm a slow learner because its the second time its happened

The cocky was very apologetic and said "you will have to get another one tonight"...

In the hut for a "yarn & a coffee".
    Name:  IMG_5739.jpeg
Views: 585
Size:  3.64 MB

So at 5pm I set off down into the creek, up the hill and around the corner to try to get another one. It took about 1.5rs to get to where I needed to be to hunt into the wind. I set up opposite a nice face and after a bit of glassing I spotted 2 Fallow up on a steep little face. I was looking into the west and te sun was terrible, but I was pretty sure the bigger one looked like a pregnant doe - nice meat and no fawn at foot. Great assessment - yeah right.

I cut down the hill and got opposite them at about 230 yards hoping the light would be better but I still couldn't get a really good look or sight picture. Oh well, a bird in the hand...
    So I settled behind the Rem M7, got the best sight picture I could on the lungs and sent a .223 69grn Targex.

At the shot the deer lunged a bit, did a wobble for a few seconds and bowled down the hill. Yay! Retribution and meat in the bag again (albeit a new bag).

"and bowled down the hill" The deer had been in the top green bit.
    Name:  IMG_2459.jpeg
Views: 549
Size:  4.22 MB

Tilly and I crossed to the deer and I did the butchery thing.

Name:  IMG_5744.jpeg
Views: 532
Size:  5.81 MB

"the butchery thing"
    Name:  IMG_5747.jpeg
Views: 555
Size:  3.93 MB

The observant reader would have noticed that the deer was actually a buck, bugger it. But the redeeming feature was that I think I had seen the deer in thhe same spot a month ago in te hard, and it was pretty spindly. And it was made of yummy fat meat anyway.

I decided to go home the long way by cutting up the face to the ridge in the hope that I would get another one (double retribution). It was 8pm by the time I got up there and dropped my load to head in the opposite direction for a quick scout. I did see another Fallow and stalked it but the wind was wrong and it disappeared. I had a good load of meat anyway so I wasn't too worried.

It was a long walk home and I was a bit buggered so when I was about 40 mins from the hut and 2 more climbs in front of me I hung the meat on a gate to collect the next day.

"I hung the meat on a gate" (I had come from right around the sky line above the bush and out of sight).
    Name:  IMG_5749.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  3.15 MB

I got back to the hut well after dark and the camp oven was still warm on the stove. Hoggett shoulder chops, a tin peas, an onion, and instant gravy. My standard fare. I was too tired to do instant mashed spud (lazy old bugger).

I slept like a top.
    Last edited by Tahr; 27-11-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Ive started using one of those hunters element meat bags recently. They are awesome.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Ive started using one of those hunters element meat bags recently. They are awesome.
    @nathan what I like about them is that they are easy to wash. Not dog proof though
    Nathan F and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @nathan what I like about them is that they are easy to wash. Not dog proof though
    Ha ha I always make sure mines high enough in the tree i.e Out of range of the old black pot licker
    Tahr likes this.

Sounds like a great coupe of days. Very cool but too. I was over that way mid week too but had to slum it in a tent.
    Tahr likes this.

awesome to see you and Tilly out and about still.
    Tahr and Pengy like this.

That’s a solid walk with meat in your pack. Another great yarn! A beauty of a hut to rest and get your thoughts together in.

Thank for sharing your days out with us.
    Tahr likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

MFP
    Nice work. Shame about the first bag, but then again the dogs will always remember you fondly.

We once picked up a pig hunting dog near a mate's place in the wapps, tracking collar and all. It looked pretty slim, so it got some cuddles and then my mate tied it to a tree at home and fed it a goat leg. The pig hunter finally got a signal on the collar and turned up thinking we had shot the dog, since it hadn't moved in hours. All his dogs were nice, but that particular one never left my mate's side whenever the pig hunter came around for a yarn.
    Tahr, Steve123 and Ned like this.

Thanks for sharing..
    Tahr likes this.

Nice enjoyable few days, apart from the chopped meat and big carry. Keeps you and Tilly young at heart though. Good story.
    Tahr likes this.