Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 19 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Rimutaka's are roaring

Rimutaka's are roaring

Alarm clock set for 0400 and I was off to the Rimutakas this morning, after a long walk to my spot I heard this fella grunting down in a gut, due to the wind I couldn’t pin point exactly where he was, I gave a roar and he roared back straight away, this time I had a pretty good idea of the location. I had moved about 50 yards through the bush when I heard him smashing branches and heading towards me, I immediately sat down and gave a couple of grunts, he was moving fast and bashing a path right for me, he was closing the gap pretty quickly while letting out a few grunts, I had obviously pissed him off big time.
    Still sitting down and watching the bush in anticipation I saw him suddenly appear about 15 yards in front of me side on eyeballing me, I couldn’t see much off him except his neck broadside, I let rip with the rifle hitting him dead centre of the neck, he went down hard, I still had to cut his throat as he was swinging his head around more than I was comfortable with.
    A small scrubby 8 point head but fairly typical for this particular area, nothing worth hanging onto so I boned out the meat and headed out. It was a pretty awesome hunt, especially having the stag walk right in on me, those ones always get the blood pumping.

Name:  IMG_0791.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  163.2 KB
    Breda, Tahr, veitnamcam and 16 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Yeah boy, well done. I was in East Harbour on Monday and had one moaning but he had moved off by the time i got to him.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Cheers Hamish, I think they have only just really cranked up, the last few days I have been getting a lot of grunts and small roaring action but they have all shut up quickly and moved away, this one today was in full roar pissed off mode.
    HNTMAD likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

He probably thought you were rooting his lady
    oneshot likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

First time out this roar tomorrow morning; then it's off to a few local spots over Easter. Hopefully not too many poachers out there...

Good way to get the roar started. A lot if venison on a stag too...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    First time out this roar tomorrow morning; then it's off to a few local spots over Easter. Hopefully not too many poachers out there...

Good way to get the roar started. A lot if venison on a stag too...

:-)
    I reckon you have timed it well, the local stags are really starting to fire up now. The back legs were huge, I couldn't have carried the front quarters as well the distance I walked in.

good to hear theyre roaring down here, cant wait till next week to get amongst em.

Great result Oneshot, good condition so plenty of prime meat still on them, well done mate!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

cheers mate, it was in very good condition, not all skinny and piss stained like they usually are this time of year.
    Gibo likes this.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Well done
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind