Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 27 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Rees
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: Roars in full swing .....success!!

Roars in full swing .....success!!

Been a awesome day bush stalking DOC today.
    After having 3 stags roaring and going well last wednesday i decided i try the opposite direction in the region to see what action there was.
    Got up early as and arrived in my spot x 30mins before light. Walked in by headlamp and headed of to the spot which is a good 2.5 hours in.
    Pretty overgrown, no sign anyone hunting it and havnt been here for quite some time so was hoping there be a stag or two around.
    Its a good spot for a stag as get one here most roars...a certain ridge always holds a good one.

I got within sight of the ridge i wanted to get to and heard that sound all hunters love to hear, a stag roaring!
    He soon got answered by two more and again i had 3 stags roaring their heads off all around me. Looking at the wind and weighting up the country i decided to head for the stag
    on the right, he was on the ridge i was always going to head to so heres hoping!

Decided no point roaring now, they going off, i know hes on that ridge and thought i just stalk that ridge. On the way up the ridge forks, so decided to go up the opposite side so could have a better view looking across.
    But as luck would have it he shut up and the wind started to change and things started to look dicey. So, the decision was a change of plans,
    I headed as high as i could get, as quick as i could go to get ahead of where i thought the stag was and get above the wind before it totally swings.

After a gut buster i got in postion and let out a roar. Totally surprised to get a answer back straight away only 150m ish away and not far from my level .
    Was quite sure it was the same stag, he had gone high and the plan had worked. Suddenly he roared again from 50 m below me and he was coming in fast.

I was sitting behind a log and started to hear him just below and across crashing his antlners into trees . I peeked over the lg and could see the bushes moving but
    couldnt lock eyes on him.
    Him was still coming up, no need to roar so got the mighty 243 ready and waited. Here he comes, just 30 yards away, could hear him sidling the ridge right next to me.

Still in the dip, i was sitting all ready and suddenly a antler appears 20 yards away. He stops, im tempted to stand but hold my postion. Thinking the wind going blow it any second
    i was tempted to stand to see if a shots on but hes so close and then he moves forward straight toward me.

I have his antlers in the scope, click the safety off when the top of his head appears then his whole head fulls the scope and i squeese off the shot right between his eyes.

Hes down!! Shot him from 10-12 feet as he appeared over the log i was sitting behind. This is whats it all about!
    He was a massive stag, old as, crap head going backwards but normal for this area. When i boned out the hind legs and back straps i could hardly lift the pack and still got a 3 hour hike out!

Still, first one down for the roar, meat looks good and to top it all off on the walk out while i was walking along the river a 6 point stag walked out of the bush and
    crossed right in front of me.
    I was only 30 yards away, he didnt even know i was there. Could of easily shot him but my pack was that heavy i couldnt carry anymore.

Was great to just watch him and when he exited the river i was like 20 yards away before he saw me and bolted.

Was just a great day, was totally buggered when got home but that was the roar at its best.

Sorry, left the camera in the 4x4 so no pictures, first time ever ......... cheers

Great stuff. Roll on the weekend.

Sure sounds like an exciting hunt , bloody good when they come in that close before a shot presents itself. Great story pity you had no camera.

Great story and exciting stuff !
    It's times like that that make memorable hunts and all the hard slog worth while .

(And I don't mind one bit if you feel like PMing the location of spot x.....)
    born to hunt - forced to work

chuck up a pic of the head now yer home lad.

cool story none the less,... i picked up that we might be hunting the same Ridge, shoot me a pm with the nearest creek name and il let ya know if thats where i been going
    deer243 likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Go the mighty .243!
    deer243 likes this.

Nice one mate! Exciting and results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

That must have been exciting,walking right up to yr face,bet you were shaking a little.
    Good effort.

Doesn’t get much more exciting then that