Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree34Likes
  • 20 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By rugerman
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 4 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Josan
  • 4 Post By Josan

Thread: On a roll

On a roll

Went out for a bit of a looksee for the stag I seen about 7 weeks back and let go to grow. I was hopeful on arrival as there was a bit of sign on the track i take to get to the area I previously spotted him in.
    After glassing all the dirt patches that were covered in sign last time I was disappointed as it looked pretty barren, even though I had spotted a hind feeding on a distant bush edge (860 yards away)
    She was safe as I would think she would have had a fawn stashed just inside the bush edge. As I watched her a Westpac helicopter flew through on it's way to Tauranga and she did budge in fact 5 or so minutes later she sat down in the open to rest, that's where I left her.

I walked back to the vehicle and drove round to another spot further south in the same block. I parked up and took a short stroll along a bully track looking down onto the bush edge.
    No sooner had I glassed a little basin I spotted a deer grazing, this one was a shooter, a young yearling stag. I ranged it at 266 yards and one shot from the 7mm Mag with the 175 gr LRAB and it was time to get dirty carrying out the meat.
    The front end was pretty much wreaked so it was HQ's, Back and fillet steaks.

After a short but warm walk back to the truck it was almost dark. I will leave the area for another 3-4 weeks and have another look and hopefully the stag will show up again.Name:  P1030313.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  3.85 MB

Nice work Mooseman, some good eating there
    Mooseman likes this.

Primo.

Meat saving shots are so over rated
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Primo.

Meat saving shots are so over rated
    Sure saved on a bit more sweat.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 1 others like this.

Good shot,enjoy yr xmas veni.
    Mooseman likes this.

Awesome, go the 7 mag
    Mooseman likes this.

Another nice hunt in fine summer weather. You're filling the freezer quickly now. Fancied another caliber this time?
    Mooseman likes this.

Hay there Joe yes the animals are about now, just cut up the back steaks and fillets today, do the legs in a day or two. You know I like the 300 Win Mag but the 7 mm Mag is a fine performer also, lucky we are aloud to own various calibers so we can take different ones out for a walk from time to time.
    Neil shot a nice hind yesterday and we seen 5 for the day, starting to dry out a bit would be nice to get some rain.
    How is your course progressing ?

The course has recently started. Actually, you could almost call it a study. To be able to legally hunt in the Netherlands you have to follow twelve theoretical lessons (now online) about legal aspects, recognizing all the game species and firearms basics. Additionally you have to take shotgun and bolt-action rifle courses that train you especially on safe gun handling. Following is a theoretical exam and a practical exam where you have to demonstrate safe gun handling and have to get minimum scores on clay shooting with the shotgun and paper silhouette target shooting with the rifle. Once you have the diploma you can not directly go out buy a gun and go hunting! You first need to have access (written permission) to hunting grounds. You need a special insurance. Then you go to the police, that do a background check. There is an additional electronic questionnaire, where an algorithm determines whether you are a safety risk to society owning a firearm. Give the wrong answers = end of story. If all is OK, you get a permit from the police to buy some hunting guns. What you can shoot, where, how many and at what time is dictated by national and local government. Every year there is a home visit to check your guns and safe gun and ammo storage.

So the course is quite an investment in time and money (Close to 2000 euro easily. About 3300 NZD. Includes course, plus lessons and exams.) and you're never sure you will actually be hunting. That's why many hunters from The Netherlands go to other countries for the occasional hunt. Germany, for example, which has more space and more of a hunting tradition is only a few hours by car. Also in eastern Europe (5-8 hours drive) there are more possibilities for hunting.

So, we'll see. I like the clay shooting tho. So, whether all this, with the hunting grounds etc., is going to work, i joined a clay shooting club. If you have gone through your trial period you can get a permit and buy a clay shooting gun, like a 12 gauge over-and under, and join clay shooting competitions. I'll be following this route anyway and see how it works out with the hunting. I like the course a lot tho. You learn a lot of interesting stuff about wildlife.

So, all you NZ hunters, count your blessings.

Certainly is very intensive training involved, good luck hope it all goes well for you. Merry Xmas to you and your family.