Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 2 Post By bigbear

Thread: SECOND TIME LUCKY PART2

SECOND TIME LUCKY PART2

After pulling pin early with a few days to go we headed up to Murchision for the evening in the camp ground. Great place to stay and evening better having a hot shower.
    Name:  IMG_2021.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  3.98 MB
    And the down to the local pub on the corner for a feed. Ten out of ten great service and a great price well worth a stop if you are going past. A evening phone call to rotorua water taxi and a plan was hatch for the next morning few days. Arriving friday morning we were told there were a few boats down the far end. Rather then walking 7hours then up to the tops the others decided there was a shorter route. We weren't going to be scared of by those sand flys
    Name:  IMG_2024.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  3.42 MBName:  IMG_2030.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  3.46 MB
    Packs were heavy and tents on board and we were off, it didn't take long for the pass to slow down and the grind to start, Meeting a couple of doc workers part way up and asking if we were half way didn't help "do you want me to tell the truth" we battled on in to breaking out in to low cloud on the tops. After following markers and pulling out the gps we were glad to see the hut. The cloud hang around to the next arvo
    Name:  IMG_2048.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  3.35 MBName:  IMG_2049.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  3.63 MBName:  IMG_2058.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  3.91 MBName:  IMG_2045.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  3.96 MB
    looking down to the ella hut
    Name:  IMG_2063.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  4.76 MB
    We walked out to the far end for the evening, wind wasn't that great but a couple of deer seen, No cham were seen. After hours of glassing seen the for of us retiring to the hut for a meal and a sleep. Next morning was clear sky's but there just wasn't the roam for all of us. So two went hunting while mate and me packed up early and mark our way back and to the DUrville hut for the night.
    Wasn't any better going back down hill and plenty of wasp seen.
    Name:  IMG_2082.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  3.71 MB
    Looking back to Mt Misery
    Name:  IMG_2089.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  4.79 MB
    DUrville hut
    Name:  IMG_2092.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  3.74 MBName:  IMG_2093.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  3.98 MB
    After another crap lunch of back country a after noon rest was on the cards, after a few hours or so the others had just turned up when the water taxi arrived looking for a couple of trampers. We decided since he was there we would pull out.
    Great bit of country and well worth the walk to the top, no Chamios were seen up on the tops.
    tikka, Shearer, Hewie and 4 others like this.

I was up there a month ago and like you didn't see chamois, just a couple of deer. It is an awesome piece of country and well worth an explore.
    I think the hut you referred to as Ella is Morgans? Did you like the Thunder Box at Misery?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I thought i had seen the box before on here and mates recon nah they will be all around nelson area. Good idea in a high wind area. Yeah ella hut is morgans Just good to see another bit of the country. To be fair thats the biggest climb i have done with a full pack.
    Shearer likes this.

Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

D'Urville hut looks like it has had a spruce and is empty totally different to my last visit 15 years ago.

thats a flash hut alright. looks like you had a good trip all the same. awesome country.

Yeah micky had epic trip and will go south again, where and when i don't know but already started looking over maps today
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.