Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Sheep hunting!

Sheep hunting!

That's right, I went sheep hunting. I'd known of an area with a herd of wild sheep for a long time, and finally got around to checking it out during a horrid norwester.

MSL
    Just a few lance woods there

Bus driver
    Interesting video mate,well done ....Have done a little of this my self,during my shepherding days....two places,Tikitik/Ruatoria area,and back side of Wgtn,Makara......all Rams that we’re CFA,gotten away,smart buggers that could never be mustered.......took the heads for trophies(lol),were cooked for the dogs or left for the pigs........these types of Rams/sheep always amazed me,...the dogs could never push them out of the Bush,they were always smart enough to never get caught in the muster......

Enjoyed the video...sweet
    Last edited by A330driver; 23-05-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Nice!
    Warm Barrels!

Masterful! Great vid.

did it a couple of times, once with a compound bow. that was a hell of allot of fun

Great vid as usual Gimp.

Its been 10 years or so since I've been in there. I never targeted sheep, from memory I only ever just one deer from the area. You have inspired me to go and have another look...

I used to hunt wild sheep from the Hokonui hills, tasted great, but man were they covered in wildlife! Any ticks or lice on those ones?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Great vid as usual Gimp.

Its been 10 years or so since I've been in there. I never targeted sheep, from memory I only ever just one deer from the area. You have inspired me to go and have another look...

I used to hunt wild sheep from the Hokonui hills, tasted great, but man were they covered in wildlife! Any ticks or lice on those ones?

The fleeces were grubby as anything, but I didn't see any wildlife crawling around on there. It's a nice spot, bit of a grunt in and out!

Nice vid there Gimp. Man it rams home how much I'm missing my legs at the moment.
    40mm likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

A few years ago I got asked to help remove some feral sheep in a pine plantation. Cunning bastards could not be dogged out enough attempts had been made at that.
    I initally took a 223, which turned out to be a mistake 4-5 years wool is a pretty effective bullet proof vest!
    One guy who must have done this before had a 303 with fmj ammo I dont think anything escaped him.
    Some were recovered and they were suprisingly some of the best mutton lve ever had
    Hunt4life and A330driver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Nice vid there Gimp. Man it rams home how much I'm missing my legs at the moment.
    @gadgetman Pun intended?
    Huk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @gadgetman Pun intended?
    Completely accidental, honest.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A few years ago I got asked to help remove some feral sheep in a pine plantation. Cunning bastards could not be dogged out enough attempts had been made at that.
    I initally took a 223, which turned out to be a mistake 4-5 years wool is a pretty effective bullet proof vest!
    One guy who must have done this before had a 303 with fmj ammo I dont think anything escaped him.
    Some were recovered and they were suprisingly some of the best mutton lve ever had
    I guy I know did some wild sheep shooting years ago in the BOP while he was off from deer culling.
    Found a couple of old rams with good heads and heaps of wool. Absorbed a few shots chest on from a calibre that you would expect to do the job (wont mention as I will get called a fibber).
    Once it turned sideways different story-straight through the cleats in the wool, down like a stone.
    when he cut it up the chest was all bruised. The wool had acted like a Kevlar vest.
    I saw the head and it was a cracker. Never did anything with it but it got scored in the late 90's and it was a top sheep head in NZ at the time.
    Full turn and a bit-nice butter yellow. It was the smaller one of the two as well but it looked nicer-less sharding at the base.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Completely accidental, honest.
    He’s telling the truth, he’s not funny.
    Norway, Tahr and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I guy I know did some wild sheep shooting years ago in the BOP while he was off from deer culling.
    Found a couple of old rams with good heads and heaps of wool. Absorbed a few shots chest on from a calibre that you would expect to do the job (wont mention as I will get called a fibber).
    Once it turned sideways different story-straight through the cleats in the wool, down like a stone.
    when he cut it up the chest was all bruised. The wool had acted like a Kevlar vest.
    I saw the head and it was a cracker. Never did anything with it but it got scored in the late 90's and it was a top sheep head in NZ at the time.
    Full turn and a bit-nice butter yellow. It was the smaller one of the two as well but it looked nicer-less sharding at the base.
    I'm not sure about the broadside shot parting the wool staples theory but I agree that sheep can be hard to kill. I shot quite a few wild sheep and sold their skins once when wool was worth a bob and they were more resilient to a .222 in the lungs than a deer was.

And skins with a few years fleece on them are damned heavy. I found that out too.

If you ever do shoot a wild sheep that is any where near farm land its a good idea to whip the ears off or leave them on the head/skin to prove they don't have an ear mark in case you are challenged. Old commercial hunters like me will still leave the ears on every deer carcass we haul out (the packers wouldn't take them without ears). I'm so used to it that deer carcasses look naked without ears on them.